Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 89-93 1st Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
TheSilverBullet

Name: TheSilverBullet
Title: All the correction factor
Member`s Gallery
Brownie 2.0

So I finally got around to doing something with my old 90 W250. This was my dads farm truck he bought in 1994 and sold it in 2010. I tracked it down in 2013 and bought it back. This truck has started and ran every day ever since I could remember. The odometer stopped in 2002 at 445k

Click the image to open in full size.

She was due for a bed that you could shut the tailgate. Brakes were lacking like every first gen. 3-4 shift fork was busted from $1 fireball shots one night. The truck had a hard life no doubt there wasn’t a straight piece to it and every dent in it had a story behind it.

So then I found this roller 20 minutes from my house for 300 bucks. It’s not the greatest but it was a lot better then what I had and the same colors.

Then I found a set of Bro wheels on Craigslist I knew I had to have haha. Slowly gathered parts last fall to get ready to knock it in the head and revamp her.

Ended up picking up this 2wd with a freeze plug pushed out for 2500. It had a lot of good partsorted o ringed Head, arp 425s, 3 piece manifold, piston lift pump, VE with Denny t pin, 3800 spring and a timing spacer.

I ended up pulling all the performance parts off and sold it for 1800 as is. Not bad for getting all the motor parts for a grand total of 700 bones!

So I tore it all down and prepped the frame for paint. I didn’t end up pulling the cab because the roller had a bad floorboard. Hard to believe my Iowa cab was better than the truck outta Arkansas lol

Hotsy at work really helped cleanse the 28 years off abuse off

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

The motor actually looked really good for as many miles as it has.

So to top off all this new found fuel of the 5x16 ducky injectors and super modded ve I needed some air. Opted for a 63/68 sxe with a non gated housing. I also made a 5 inch intake with a 12 inch long afe filter I had laying around. I wish I had more under hood pictures I always forget this step when building stuff. Truck is non intercooled still I build a 3 inch crossover pipe.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Next I wanted it to stop. I found some brackets at Torq Motorsports that utilizes a 4th gen caliper and rotor. This converts it to outboard rotors. Also 9/16 studs to help keep it all together. Then to push the twin piston calipers I added a gm hydroboost.

While I didn’t get any pictures I did rebuild the getrag, added a ceramic Valair clutch, bearings and seals in the 205, new rear driveshaft, power trax locker in the open carrier and made a b and w turnover ball from a 2nd gen work in it

Here’s how it rolled out of the shop. Cosmetically I spent 300 on body panels 300 on a Chinese bumper,grille, and headlights

Still need to spend sometime with an eraser wheel from taking off the 91 style molding and paint the bottom of the cab to match the paint line. Pretty happy so far plan on driving it another 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post
Dying is always a way bigger concern than egt's...

Old 07-24-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Very cool story on reviving a 1st gen and bringing an old truck back into the family.

I like your front brake upgrade. What year GM hydroboost worker best for the conversion?
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
TheSilverBullet

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
Very cool story on reviving a 1st gen and bringing an old truck back into the family.

I like your front brake upgrade. What year GM hydroboost worker best for the conversion?
The gm hydroboost mounts better IMO. There’s a guy on eBay that sells a plate for 20 bucks to mount it. The plate is just 5 holes but it saves a lot of time.

The hoses I got from Napa were for a 1990 Chevy k3500. Took some minor tweaking and fit very well. The brake line for the rear was the same thread as the gm master and the front needed an adapter to step it down. I believe this hydroboost is off a 2001 Chevy 2500 but most late 90s are the same style and plentiful.

Also the 9/16 studs are dorman 210-683 front and rear.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Looks awesome. The headlights really make the front end.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
TheSilverBullet

Member`s Gallery
Buddy of mine talked me into the lights. They came with cheap hid bulbs and it makes like a lime green light at night pretty cool lol. Glad this hood didn’t have any holes so I could clean up the front end and get rid of that stupid ram every one loves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Closed Thread