Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Farrell Diesel Service
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
CTDYoungGun

Name: CTDYoungGun
Title: Seth- Fuel Injection Guy
Member`s Gallery
Shipping Thread

I've had a ton of questions and issues with folks sending in pumps, so I figure I'll make a detailed thread on some do's and do-not's of shipping these pumps.

First off, these pumps weigh roughly 45 lbs, that's the equivalent of 3 bowling balls, so when you choose your box, keep this in mind.

I use a 24x12x12 box when I ship pumps, if you package the pump well, you won't have an issue and it isn't big enough for shipping companies to charge an extra fee for oversize packages.

Once you get your pump removed from the engine, you need to drain the oil from the pump. The best way to do this is to clamp the pump in a vice like this:
Click the image to open in full size.[/URL]

Let the pump drain for at least a half hour. Then tip it back down for a while, then back up to drain again. This gets almost all the oil out of the pump and saves the box from getting oil soaked.

Next you need to remove all the accessories and brackets from the pump. I don't need them to calibrate the pump, they usually get broken in shipping, poke holes in the box, and they are extra weight that you are paying to ship.

Pieces that should be removed include the following:
Any fuel or oil lines and fittings
The support bracket on the bottom of the pump
Any fitting in the afc for boost reference (these always get damaged in shipping if not removed)
All the throttle bracket and linkage assembly (only leave the throttle lever as pictured above)
The shutoff solenoid and bracket

Next thing, DO NOT USE ANY FORM OF TAPE TO SEAL FUEL INLET/OUTLET, OIL FITTING, OR DV HOLDERS!!!! It turns into a nasty form of adhesive goo that is a pain to remove from the pump and angry pump guys' hands.

Up next is to bag your pump, heavy trash bags work really well for this (the bag will catch any residual oil from the pump without ruining the box during shipping.

When you package your pump, DO NOT allow ups or fedex to do this, they will use packing peanuts and your pump will get damaged in shipping, it's just that simple. Do not use packing peanuts as packing material, these pumps are heavy and they will not protect it during shipping. The easiest and best packing material is wadded up newspaper. It takes a lot of it, but it will work well and cushions the pumps surprisingly well. Wad the paper up and toss it in the box until the box is full of paper, then drop your pump in. Now wad up at least the same amount of paper and put it in front, behind, on the sides, and over the top of the pump. If you think it's full of paper and packaged well, add some more paper just to be safe, it will compact down nicely when you close your box and tape everything shut.

I'm sure I forgot some details and I'll add them as I remember. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll help as much as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by CTDYoungGun; 07-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Could also use old clothing if you can pack it in there real good, but it add's weight. Or the spray in expanding foam stuff. Just an option if you're like me and see 1 newspaper a year lol.

Last edited by madmikeismad; 07-10-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Closed Thread