Obs traction issues

Theredbeast

Truck is a 97 f250 eclb. Cummins swapped truck. Trying to setup a street truck that will also run the track occasionally. The rear end wraps really bad. It’s on stock leaf springs and 4” blocks from the factory. I have traction bars ready to mount up but I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can do to help keep it planted as a combo with my trac bars.

I've had a few OBS trucks that would hop, bounce and do weird stuff. The best thing I found was to box the frame under the cab to in front of the rear axle at least. I had long traction bars on my trucks. Some guys say short bars work better though. I also did front shackle reversals and that was the worst thing I did for pulling. Racing probably would have been the same. (The front bounced horribly) I ended up putting traction bars on the front during pulling and had to add another leaf to keep the truck from bouncing. It also had a 12v in that truck. With the shackle reversal, I went back to a 2 leaf spring. But before I had a 5 leaf spring under the front. I drove it on the street a lot and the ride was horrid so that's why I made the switch.

Last edited:
I've had a few OBS trucks that would hop, bounce and do weird stuff. The best thing I found was to box the frame under the cab to in front of the rear axle at least. I had long traction bars on my trucks. Some guys say short bars work better though. I also did front shackle reversals and that was the worst thing I did for pulling. Racing probably would have been the same. (The front bounced horribly) I ended up putting traction bars on the front during pulling and had to add another leaf to keep the truck from bouncing. It also had a 12v in that truck. With the shackle reversal, I went back to a 2 leaf spring. But before I had a 5 leaf spring under the front. I drove it on the street a lot and the ride was horrid so that's why I made the switch.

What did you do for leafs in the rear? I need new springs so I don’t know what works best for racing. More or less leafs?

I'd say ditch the blocks, get a set of caltracs to work.

Usually a softer spring rate works better for drag, then run a good adjustable shock.

What did you do for leafs in the rear? I need new springs so I don’t know what works best for racing. More or less leafs?

I'm probably going to move up to super duty springs for the rear. That's what I plan to do when I do the 4wd swap on my 95 2wd. I'm going to do it in the front too.

Getting rid of the block would probably help too. I broke 2 jacking around on the street and they were the cast ones. You might be able to do a shackle flip and that alone might be enough to get rid of the block. I haven't dug into it that far for my swap yet.

Back