Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Manning Motorsports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #41
bbbxcursion

Name: bbbxcursion
Title: traitor
Member`s Gallery
Gotta watch this

Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #42
Hurley

Name: Hurley
Title: BLAKLUNG
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenahan05 View Post
just because air is under pressure doesnt mean its going to act any different...just means its going to act faster. if it scavenges at atmospheric pressure why wont it at 50 times that? if you could, explain how/why you think it will act different?
yes, it will act differently....
....and 50x atmospheric is 735psig, so it would probably burst at that pressure [/sarcasm]

my explaination...I'm no expert, so if I'm wrong, someone call me out...at atmospheric pressure on the outlet of a header, there is x amount of scavenging available; as the outlet pressure is increased (the case of a turbo/higher restriction), scavenging decreases because the ability for a low-pressure area to form behind each exhaust pulse is diminished. It is conceivable that at certain operating conditions at very low pressure there may be some scavenging present in this manifold, but as drive pressure (and boost) builds, it goes away.

And as I have said before, I like the manifold.

95 2500 RCSB 2wd back-halfed and 4-linked
5x14/7mm +100cc/4k/11-blade billet 63/68/.91 T4
539/989

03 RCLB 4x4, SSR

Last edited by Hurley; 05-09-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #43
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You might have a small point. It may change under high pressure. Although big company's ( cummins) teach you that there is scavenging. They have whole presentations that are devoted to how the manifold works. I am with steed on this

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #44
JasonCzerak

Name: JasonCzerak
Member`s Gallery
I like it. I'll buy one later this summer for the next turbo(s) upgrade.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #45
ComnRailPwr

Name: ComnRailPwr
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
....and 50x atmospheric is 735psig, so it would probably burst at that pressure [/sarcasm]

my explaination...I'm no expert, so if I'm wrong, someone call me out...at atmospheric pressure on the outlet of a header, there is x amount of scavenging available; as the outlet pressure is increased (the case of a turbo/higher restriction), scavenging decreases because the ability for a low-pressure area to form behind each exhaust pulse is diminished. It is conceivable that at certain operating conditions at very low pressure there may be some scavenging present in this manifold, but as drive pressure (and boost) builds, it goes away.

You have to look at the big picture. Scavenging is irrelevant to drive pressure when its equal across the board. Basically since drive pressure is equal on all ports then the cyl fires it creates a scavenging effect on the neighboring cylinders due to velocity. It is not creating a vacuum in the other cylinders @ our running drive pressures but I see it lowering the drive pressure in those port runners.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #46
kala

Name: kala
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
It looks nice
I want this manifold T4 and wastegate
Maybe someone can help me to send this Estonia?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #47
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

When the exhaust valve cracks at blowdown, the spent gases and heat DO NOT slow down as they exit the cylinder. they keep a constant speed throughout at atmospheric pressure and gain speed as boost/cylinder pressure raises. it's a proven fact. if they did, scavenging would never occur. and your statement of (drive pressure and boost) in the same sentence is like comparing budweiser to keystone.....were talking about scavenging. not camshaft overlap. just trying to understand where all this bad internet info comes from. i've come to believe that the internet is bad news for learning in most cases. learn from the guys that are getting it done in competition. the manifold looks good steed. ill be putting in a few more orders like i have in the past. keep up the good work and turning out nice products for guys like me to buy/sell/compete with.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #48
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
When the exhaust valve cracks at blowdown, the spent gases and heat DO NOT slow down as they exit the cylinder. they keep a constant speed throughout at atmospheric pressure and gain speed as boost/cylinder pressure raises. it's a proven fact. if they did, scavenging would never occur. and your statement of (drive pressure and boost) in the same sentence is like comparing budweiser to keystone.....were talking about scavenging. not camshaft overlap. just trying to understand where all this bad internet info comes from. i've come to believe that the internet is bad news for learning in most cases. learn from the guys that are getting it done in competition. the manifold looks good steed. ill be putting in a few more orders like i have in the past. keep up the good work and turning out nice products for guys like me to buy/sell/compete with.

What in the Phuck are you talking about?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #49
lenahan05

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
What in the Phuck are you talking about?
exhaust gas speed at atmospheric pressure, it doesnt slow down. when you add boost-you add cylinder pressure, inturn-adding drive and exhaust port air velocity. read it. then go back and read it again....you'll get it sooner or later. MAYBE...... that word ''Phuck" doesnt make you sound that cool....JUST SAYIN.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #50
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
exhaust gas speed at atmospheric pressure, it doesnt slow down. when you add boost-you add cylinder pressure, inturn-adding drive and exhaust port air velocity. read it. then go back and read it again....you'll get it sooner or later. MAYBE...... that word ''Phuck" doesnt make you sound that cool....JUST SAYIN.

You dip chit, the exhaust sees the turbine nozzle before atmosphere and hence why you see many of us talking about back pressure.

Your whole paragraph is garbage the same stuff your *****ing about. Your "Phucking" up my Internet.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #51
YOUNG GUNS15

Name: YOUNG GUNS15
Title: Im AWESOME!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Holy fawk how about we all just buy one and see if it works???

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #52
Hurley

Name: Hurley
Title: BLAKLUNG
Member`s Gallery
I think clarification needs to be obtained on the actual mechanics of exhaust gas scavenging, and then we can compare that to the mechanics of pulse tuning/cadence and energy transfer to the turbine wheel of a turbo.

95 2500 RCSB 2wd back-halfed and 4-linked
5x14/7mm +100cc/4k/11-blade billet 63/68/.91 T4
539/989

03 RCLB 4x4, SSR

Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #53
Dockboy

Name: Dockboy
Title: Comps BFF
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I think clarification needs to be obtained on the actual mechanics of exhaust gas scavenging, and then we can compare that to the mechanics of pulse tuning/cadence and energy transfer to the turbine wheel of a turbo.
No need for that...

He has a leaf blower and cardboard

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #54
lenahan05

Member`s Gallery
[QUOTE=Joesixpack;1779315]You dip chit, the exhaust sees the turbine nozzle before atmosphere and hence why you see many of us talking about back pressure. QUOTE]

REALLY? guess i forgot about that. its hard talking to and pleasing the internet diesel gods.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #55
lenahan05

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG GUNS15 View Post
Holy fawk how about we all just buy one and see if it works???
thats the best information ive read in this thread. heard that man! the rest of this info is for the birds.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #56
zenzen_427

Name: zenzen_427
Title: Scuba Steve
Member`s Gallery
I'm getting one stat! (give me a week or two Taylor)

Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #57
TheBigNasty

Name: TheBigNasty
Title: Project bish
Member`s Gallery
I think the effective use of Bernoulli's principle has less to do with system pressure and more with flow. It may not produce an area of vacuum, but could definitely produce an area of lower pressure.

I could also see it becoming a completely moot point when you have excessive drive pressures.

Oh, and the "tested by leaf blower and cardboard" has to be the worst bit of marketing ever produced.

Last edited by TheBigNasty; 05-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #58
bsmith

Name: bsmith
Title: Never enough
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
It looks nice
I want this manifold T4 and wastegate
Maybe someone can help me to send this Estonia?
Steed won't ship to you? Ill help if I can.

RIP DEX

2001 2500 2wd
Diesel pro's cam
Walbro 392
Goff diesel injection
160hp pump
6x.013's by Weston
HTT 62/71/13 over FI 82/92/1.10
Levi's turbo blankets!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #59
TMONEYDIESEL

Name: TMONEYDIESEL
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzen_427 View Post
I'm getting one stat! (give me a week or two Taylor)
Youll like it!

YOUR SOURCE FOR:
Camshafts
Pushrods
Valve springs
Custom Turbos
Exhaust Manifolds
Carrillo Connecting rods

Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #60
zenzen_427

Name: zenzen_427
Title: Scuba Steve
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMONEYDIESEL View Post
Youll like it!
Is this a time to look into a t4 platform or will t3 be alright for my needs/goals (cool 700hp+ hotrod)

Closed Thread