he351 install w/ pics

What boost #'s are typical of the he351? I'm looking for a decent stock upgrade for the tired H1C on my 93 d350

Depends completely on what your fueling is. When I swapped my H1c for a HE351CW, boost didn't change a whole lot. With stockish fueling, ~ 20 psi give or take a few. With pump mods, maybe 25 - 30 ish. With larger injectors, more than 30.

Just an update: We installed some 7 x .010 SAC injectors from CPP. The truck runs great and has zero lag. I'll get exact boost numbers tomorrow.

Nice set-up! I did the same swap on a non-intercooled truck.

Definitely a good upgrade!

Good idea to keep the boost under 40psi, even though it might not hurt to go a little higher.

When I was playing around with an HE351cw single turbo, it made a lot more power at 42-47 psi than it did at 30-35 psi. I ran one for 30-40K miles at 42-47 psi on my 99' 24valve with zero failure or signs of excessive wear.

If you want to be super-conservative and still get most of the potential airflow, set the wastegate for 36-40 psi range.

im seeing 28 - 30 lbs of boost at wot with egt's
around 1k. only pump mods are star wheel and
smoke screw turned all the way in. stock
injectors. great turbo upgrade for the 12v.

Boost is around 38 peak - holds around 36. The wastegate is operational, so i'm sure we can get more. The injectors smoke pretty good before boost, but clean up to a faint haze at full boost.

Looks good. Just did this swap a while back on a 1st gen. I clocked the turbo to have the outlet about even with intercooler as it would be on a 3rd gen. Had to weld some tabs on comp housing for wastegate solenoid tho.

Last edited:
Gonna be doing this soon and just wondering if you use the stock oil feed line and fittings or did you have to use different feed line/fitting?

i asked a guy about how / if the 1st gen
feed line would work and said he'd post
pics. he never posted them up, and i
dont see how it would work since the
fittings are different.

HE351's are tough little turbo's.... Ive seen what workstock guys around here do to them, including myself. Ive only had one fail and i now know not to push them that far

towed the jeep over the wknd up to hidden falls offroad park.
turbo pushed a max boost of 30psi @ 1100 egt. did really
well i thought. kept the ole 1st gen @ 65 when i needed it.

Back