Brand Wars

There is a huge difference between using them everyday, and abuse.

I have guys in my shop that have been using the same tools since the mid 80's with VERY few broken tools or replacement tools....and I have guys that use the same stuff and have it replaced all the time.

An extension is not a punch, a screwdriver is not a chisel....use the right tool for the right job the right way, and it will last for a very long time no matter who made it!

Chris

They dont make them like they did in the 80s, by no means am I saying snap-on and harbor freight are the same quality. But I cant justify spending 800$ on a wrench set from snap-on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEbZMvCK6Zw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEbZMvCK6Zw&feature=related[/ame]

Snap-on Search

Just one example of why I dont buy snap-on.....

That phucktard is getting railed...I pay nowhere near that. If he has to be a nitpicker and go through Snap-Ons catalogue pissing and moaning about why everything is so expensive then he just needs to close the book and shop elsewhere. I have no problem with craftsman but their quality has declined in recent years IMO. I have broken many craftsman tools that its a waste of time to go get them replaced under warranty. I prefer the Snap-On and Matco tools. Matco is my working set and Snap-Ons are backup in most situations, the exception being specialty tools.

And yes I actually own the matco set and like it very much. The difference between Silver Eagle and the Matco brand name line is the Silver Eagle is made in Taiwan and Matco is USA. Both warrantied the same.

As for that socket set its a good thing he mentioned that particular socket set. I got that socket set, the shallow set as well and a 3/8 90 tooth rachet for that very same $232.

eBay is where I get almost all my snapon stuff. Love my gear wrench flex head ratchets. Regular ones are snapon with grips. Haven't paid over 100 for all 3 sizes.

My tools are from the 2000s and they haven't broken yet, 2005 was the year, but my MAC box is from the 80s I believe, 425 bucks after tax. I painted mine since I had some extra paint left from my Nova and Dodge Ram. My drawers are packed, I need to buy another soon for my wrenches. I have a seperate box for my bodywork tools.
toolbox.jpg

Anybody wanna show off theirs?

For all of my sockets and normal wrenches I use Craftsmen. But their ratchets are the biggest pieces of crap ever. For ratchets/specialty tools/everything else I use snap-on or Mac. I've got a pretty good relationship with the distributors around here.

I'm slowly replacing all my Craftsman tools with Snap-On. Craftsman quality is nowhere near what it used to be. And I don't have time to drive 30 miles to a Sears when something breaks.

What ever fits the bill the best. Some of the companies are great at on tool, and kinda just there on others. MAC is the only torque wrench I will use for example.

The snap on truck just started stopping at my work. . . Im not a mechanic by any means but i wanna have the right tools for the job! Most of my tools currently are craftsman but i would like to buy a lot of specialty tools off snap on! Some of my tools are harbor frieght also and i get along fine with them. Like wrenches above inch and a quarter and 3/4 inch socket sets. Theres no way you break those things and there so cheap!

Back