Let's talk shop heat

99GreenCummins

That guy....
What's everyone using for shop heat?

We bought a new farm last winter and am now starting to design the inside of the current building to be my shop. Its a 3 bay 50x30 building. The shop part will be the lower level of the building. 1 wall is against a hill and the 2 sides are half covered from dirt.

In our old shop we used a old greenhouse heater. I want gas fed hanging type heater.

Will try to get a picture before dark since pictures are worth a thousand words.

We just went from gas fed forced air to gas fed overhead radiant heat. There is no comparison, the radiant heat is awesome. Radiant heat is just like the sun it heats objects not the air. With radiant heat a higher ceiling is preferred to let the heater cover a larger area. If no concrete is poured yet, radiant floor heat would be my vote. Radiant floor heat can be fed by a wood fired boiler if that is an option for you.

Heated concrete floor. We did it in our 60x80x16. It's expensive, but it was worth it. We use about 1100 gal in propane for the year. And that's using the 40' bi fold door a decent amount

Concrete is already there, if I was pouring concrete it would get heated floors.

What's the cost compared to forced induction? I had never thought of it, our fairground buildings have them, they work well. Are there thermostats available for them?

Also interested in this, my Dad's 40x40 insulated shop needs a permanent solution. Right now using a tiny 220V heater that keeps it about 10*C in -15* weather. Not good for electricity bill...

Finally pictures
outside:
IMG_20131126_095736_937_zps6713d8a2.jpg

Inside: don't mind the mess, haven't got my work bench out here yet to organize it.

IMG_20131126_095833_590_zps91234a7a.jpg

Get yourself a 95% forced air furnace, put a plenum on it with dome taps and be done. Cheapest and easiest

I just bought a hanging gas heater yesterday. With a thermal output of 324,000 BTU/hr, I think it should heat up my 40x50 shop just fine.

Folks mention the radiant heat, and personally 40-50 degrees is fine for me to work in. What I don't like being cold is the tools. I had always heard the radiant heat warms a person, and not the objects.

This year I am just running a 1500w electric heater, will see how it does compared to the pellet stove.

Folks mention the radiant heat, and personally 40-50 degrees is fine for me to work in. What I don't like being cold is the tools. I had always heard the radiant heat warms a person, and not the objects.

This year I am just running a 1500w electric heater, will see how it does compared to the pellet stove.

I agree with you about cold tools. Although, radiant heat heats the person and objects. If your tools are laying out they will be just as warm as you. Same idea as laying your tools in the sun. I personally love it.

The other benefit over forced air is recovery time when opening doors. If the doors never get opened its obviously not as big of a deal.

Last edited:
Back