Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
spdgofast

Name: spdgofast
Title: TOO MANY IRONS
Member`s Gallery
Is there a difference between a 06 stickshift engine to a auto trans

Hey folks, I have a 2006 Ram 3500 2 WD 5.9 Cummins with a manual transmission with a broken block, cam, crank, etc. I am looking for a core to rebuild and install and I thought that it wouldn't matter if it was a motor out of a auto trans or manual trans truck, but I was calling around looking for a core today and a salvage yard told me that I needed a core out of a manual trans truck. Can anyone verify this for me and can you tell me what is the difference? Thanks

Old 04-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
I tear a LOT of Cummins commonrail engines down to core out and I have yet to find what the difference is.
Believe me, I have looked and measured.

The only thing I can think of is that they may be figuring in the wiring harnesses and automatic trans coolers and lines as part of the assembly.
Also, the driver's side engine mount bracket is also different from 4wd to 2wd.

FWIW, I do have a very decent '06 5.9 shortblock sitting here from an automatic truck.

Mark.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
I was hoping you would see this and chime in Mark, I figured you would know, I have found a good auto core down here for $800.00 so I'm probably going with it. Probably not cost effective to get your core shipped to me here in Fla. correct? Again thanks for your reply Mark!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Glad to help someone, if I'm able.

$800 is not bad, even if it needs bored/sleeved.
I wanted $850 for my shortblock, plus you'd have to freight it in.

I feel all it really needs is popped apart and honed, but shipping cost is a long way towards a sleeve or bore job.

Mark.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Mark, can I use a 98-02 24 valve block? I'm sure the head is different, what about the front gear case, cam and gear set? I'm thinking of offering this truck for sale like it sits, I think it's a hell of a deal for someone especially if they need a 6 speed dually for towing. They could put their own engine in it and know what they have and put it to work. 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Big Horn with all power options including power pedals with only 189K on it for $8000.00

Last edited by spdgofast; 05-01-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdgofast View Post
Mark, can I use a 98-02 24 valve block?
I'm not Mark, but that block will not work. And.... sometimes there is a difference on the crankshaft between auto and manual. The pilot for the input shaft on the rear of the crank is different.

Last edited by Snedge; 05-01-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
I'm not Mark, but that block will not work. And.... sometimes there is a difference on the crankshaft between auto and manual. The pilot for the input shaft on the rear of the crank is different.
Yea, I'm getting different info on the crankshafts. I called the Cummins dealer parts dept and I gave them the Cummins engine number for my 2006 3500 with auto trans and I gave them the engine number off of the 2006 2 WD manual trans and they told me the blocks, crank shafts and cams were the same, but then I have had a few people tell me that they are different and they learned the hard way. I have found a engine out of an auto truck but still unsure to pull the trigger on it.

Last edited by spdgofast; 05-01-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yea, I'm getting different info on the crankshafts. I called the Cummins dealer parts dept and I gave them the Cummins engine number for my 2006 3500 with auto trans and I gave them the engine number off of the 2006 2 WD manual trans and they told me the blocks, crank shafts and cams were the same, but then I have had a few people tell me that they are different and they learned the hard way. I have found a engine out of an auto truck but still unsure to pull the trigger on it.

As a Cummins dealer, sadly, I have very little faith in what Quickserve tells me.
The only way you'll know is if you look at the back of the crankshaft. As far as everything else on the engine, you'd be alright for the swap. Just use the ECM and harness from your current engine.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Yea, I know what your saying. I didn't want to pull the tranny or the engine untill I had one to go back in so that's why I'm trying to verify without pulling it. Just for grins I just went to the Dodge dealer and gave them two serial numbers, one for a 2006 auto truck and one for a 2006 manual truck, I got part numbers for a crank, a cam and a complete re manufactured motor and they told me that they were the same. I have never seen a flywheel for a manual truck so I had them pull up a picture of the flywheel and the pilot bearing and the pilot shaft doesn't go in the flywheel as far as I can tell so it must go in the crankshaft. I'm sure you guys can tell me does the pilot bearing go in the crankshaft on these trucks like most manual transmissions?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
coorsman2005

Name: coorsman2005
Title: i like beer
Member`s Gallery
My truck is an 08 6.7. But my engine swap went well. With a motor from an auto to my used to be manual trans. Just like said above use your harnes and ecm and hope it has the hole. Or get u a mag drill and drill it your self. Lol

Old 05-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Alright, I just called Southbend Clutches and they explained to me that the part that I am seeing that the Dodge dealer is calling the flywheel is the front portion of a dual mass flywheel that's why I am not seeing the part where the pilot shaft and the pilot bearing goes. They told me the pilot bearing does go in the flywheel whether it be a OEM dual mass or one of their one piece flywheels and that the engines and crank shafts are the same in a manual trans and a auto trans of that year model which I am sure most of you guys on here already know. Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coorsman2005 View Post
My truck is an 08 6.7. But my engine swap went well. With a motor from an auto to my used to be manual trans. Just like said above use your harnes and ecm and hope it has the hole. Or get u a mag drill and drill it your self. Lol
So your saying that your pilot bearing did go in the crankshaft? But yours is a 08 6.7 right?

Last edited by spdgofast; 05-02-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So your saying that your pilot bearing did go in the crankshaft? But yours is a 08 6.7 right?

No. Pilot bearing is in the flywheel.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Alright I did a little searching and viewing images and see the difference between a dual mass fly wheel and a single mass flywheel and I'm convinced the cranks would be the same from a manual motor versus auto trans motor. Let me ask you guys this (sorry I'm being lazy and don't want to crawl in the dirt under a low 2wd truck to see) is there a inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing on the G56 trans that I can remove to see if this truck still has the dual mass flywheel on it or not? Thanks again guys!

Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Glad to help someone, if I'm able.

$800 is not bad, even if it needs bored/sleeved.
I wanted $850 for my shortblock, plus you'd have to freight it in.

I feel all it really needs is popped apart and honed, but shipping cost is a long way towards a sleeve or bore job.

Mark.
Mark, I was unable to get the core I was talking about, do you have any idea how much it would cost to get your core to Florida 34982?

Old 05-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #16
spdgofast

Member`s Gallery
Fyi, no inspection access on the bellhousing

Closed Thread