Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
bh10

Name: bh10
Title: Web Wrencher
Member`s Gallery
Ford 9"

Anybody have any thought on a 9 inch taking the abuse of a diesel? Now Im talking about on a grocery getter/ drag truck, no sled pulling. I really want to get this d70 out of my truck, the pinion is weak and its a open diff and I dont feel like putting any money into it just to see it break. IIRC Gerg's Project X ran one with success, and he claimed it was almost at 1000hp and his truck would be heavier than mine, which is a 95 reg. cab, long bed, and hopefully with the fuel and twin turbos Ill be 700-800hp.

One reason Im thinking this route. b/c they are a dime a dozen and the aftermarket is better for the 9" than any other axle. I really wanted to go w/ a 14bolt, but with the gears it has compared to my front d60 is a 3.73, which IMO is going backwards, and would require a front gear change which would be $$$.

I was thinking if I did go that route a big bearing 9" w/ 35 spline axles and either a detroit or a spool?

I know the d80 is an option, but its heavy and everything about it is expensive.

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER
CSnyder @ Snyder Motorsports

Old 02-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
If you think the d-70 pinion is weak, you need to see a 9" next to it.

Why would you want to go to a rear that is going to consume more power to turn? ? ?
If you said you are going to road race your truck and needed to be changing gears all the time, i could understand the need for having a 9".....

But to go to a 9" that takes more power to turn and because of a strength issue, i would take a D-60 over a 9" as for strength...

Rears only break from bad drivers anyway.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
bh10

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
If you think the d-70 pinion is weak, you need to see a 9" next to it.

Why would you want to go to a rear that is going to consume more power to turn? ? ?
If you said you are going to road race your truck and needed to be changing gears all the time, i could understand the need for having a 9".....

But to go to a 9" that takes more power to turn and because of a strength issue, i would take a D-60 over a 9" as for strength...

Rears only break from bad drivers anyway.
Im guessing you havent either b/c not only is the pinion bigger it also has a 3rd bearing, and the extra 10hp it takes to turn is a mute point.

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER

Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
hummin cummins

Name: hummin cummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have been told by Moser, Strange and Mark Williams that they will not hold up due to the placement of the pinion on the ring gear. What they told me was since the pinion sets low on the ring gear it pushes away under load and would break the ring and pinion. However Curry says they can make one to hold up but it's $8000.00

Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
syrupdawg

Name: syrupdawg
Title: GA Diesel Mafia
Member`s Gallery
Gabby run ford 9" front and rear axles on his truck and it has run in the 9 sec range so i believe that they will hold up to the abuse

Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
hummin cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupdawg View Post
Gabby run ford 9" front and rear axles on his truck and it has run in the 9 sec range so i believe that they will hold up to the abuse
His are the curry axles I was talking about.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
carcrafter22

Name: carcrafter22
Member`s Gallery
I looked into using one for my mainly street driven truck and I decided against it. Anything over 31 spline and you have to run a locker, ARB has an air locker for the 35 spline but from everything I have read about it on the net says it has a couple design flaws that make it weak ( really expected better from arb). I think for a 700+hp diesel you would want some 40 spline axles and a light weight vehicle to make it live long.

I chose to go with a 9.5" 14 bolt and eliminated the c clips with a set of ford big bearing housing ends and custom axles, I have less than $1K in the entire axle with a tru track, moser axles and disc brakes complete but its in my little 3900 pound truck with a diesel.

1967 Ford F100 isuzu 3.9L diesel Procharger, Holset and lots of fuel AWD chassis, etc.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.9L isuzu 4bd1t, he351cw turbo,370cc injection pump, 4.5" clayton long arm lift,etc.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
bh10

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummin cummins View Post
I have been told by Moser, Strange and Mark Williams that they will not hold up due to the placement of the pinion on the ring gear. What they told me was since the pinion sets low on the ring gear it pushes away under load and would break the ring and pinion. However Curry says they can make one to hold up but it's $8000.00
So what if you go with a high pinion then?

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER

Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Hurley

Name: Hurley
Title: BLAKLUNG
Member`s Gallery
14b is a viable option as far as aftermarket support, and I think that the weight over the rear tires would benefit traction... though you are 4wd so that may be a lesser issue

95 2500 RCSB 2wd back-halfed and 4-linked
5x14/7mm +100cc/4k/11-blade billet 63/68/.91 T4
539/989

03 RCLB 4x4, SSR

Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
bh10

Member`s Gallery
Your right, but the only problem is gear matching, here isnt a 3.55 gear for the 14bff.

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER

Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
crewgirl

Name: crewgirl
Title: Inmate #28
Member`s Gallery
Project X did run a Ford 9" built by Charlie Stewart (817 253 5796).
I don't know about how they would work in these trucks, but every race car my father has ever built, has a 9" under it. We're currently in the process of ordering the parts to build a 9" to go under my s-10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH View Post
yes...set your purse down, pull your skirt up, and grow a set...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOL BUS View Post
dont argue with anna. she knows everything

Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
bh10

Member`s Gallery
If I go this route I was planning on getting a big bearing one out of a truck w/ 35 spline axles.

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER

Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
rockjeep73

Name: rockjeep73
Member`s Gallery
I say it will be hard to break the dana 70 with 700-800hp while drag racing. A 14 bolt or dana 80 is only going to add weight and a 9" is going to require a decent amount of money to build it strong enough. My vote is to keep the 70 and weld the spiders.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
bh10

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjeep73 View Post
I say it will be hard to break the dana 70 with 700-800hp while drag racing. A 14 bolt or dana 80 is only going to add weight and a 9" is going to require a decent amount of money to build it strong enough. My vote is to keep the 70 and weld the spiders.
I might try this and if it breaks it breaks, I guess everything bad I here about it is from the pullers and not the racers.

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER

Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
I have a 9" in the vette, but I have replaced and upgraded everything to eliminate destruction if at all possible. A 9" still weighs less than a 70 and an 80 even if it costs more to build.
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 03-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
hummin cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Don't know, I thought the high pinions were weaker than the standard 9".

We currently have well over 1500 hp and have never hurt our dana 70.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
mondtster

Name: mondtster
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrafter22 View Post
I looked into using one for my mainly street driven truck and I decided against it. Anything over 31 spline and you have to run a locker, ARB has an air locker for the 35 spline but from everything I have read about it on the net says it has a couple design flaws that make it weak ( really expected better from arb). I think for a 700+hp diesel you would want some 40 spline axles and a light weight vehicle to make it live long.
The new design ARBs are a POS. I'd never consider them as an option, unless the issues are fixed with them. They'll never get fixed though, because ARB says there isn't anything wrong with their design.

Quote:
It just moves the breaking point to the other member of the R+P.

Quote:
If I go this route I was planning on getting a big bearing one out of a truck w/ 35 spline axles.
That's not what he was talking about.

I would consider running a 9" rear in a light vehicle, but not in this app. If I were to build an axle for this app, I think I would retain the d70. You might consider doing a SF d70 to save a bit of weight if that is a concern.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Im guessing you havent either b/c not only is the pinion bigger it also has a 3rd bearing, and the extra 10hp it takes to turn is a mute point.

Guessing i haven't what ! ? ....seen that a 9" NEEDS the other bearing from the poor design of the extremely close 2 pinion bearing being on top of each other....
What else do you think i haven't seen..... I bet you think that's a great design...

I build rears, im telling you, the 9" is not stronger then the D-60, let alone the D-70... The 9" isn't much lighter then the D-60
The D-70's only issues is the cross bar in the spider assembly...so you can do 2 things, a spool for the 70 or a detroit

Saying the hp loss is a mute point....is incredibly INSANE, any hp loss in a performance vehicle is not a moot point....years ago we dyoned 4 rears, and the 9" was more than 10hp loss, (im going to try and find that) and you don't want to lose any HP in the driveline in any vehicle, let alone a heavy one.

AS for the high pin 9", you are now racing on the coast side of a ring gear, not a good idea at all...

Everyone runs a 9" for the story of there is more available... and everyone that says that, doesn't change there gear ratios like they should if that is what there worried about...

Many rears are stronger and don't soak up as much hp......

Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondtster View Post
The new design ARBs are a POS. I'd never consider them as an option, unless the issues are fixed with them. They'll never get fixed though, because ARB says there isn't anything wrong with their design.

It just moves the breaking point to the other member of the R+P.

That's not what he was talking about.

I would consider running a 9" rear in a light vehicle, but not in this app. If I were to build an axle for this app, I think I would retain the d70. You might consider doing a SF d70 to save a bit of weight if that is a concern.

Which ARB's are you referring to? I have one that is about 4 or 5 years old, and the gear sets are the same. When did they change?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #20
mondtster

Name: mondtster
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Which ARB's are you referring to? I have one that is about 4 or 5 years old, and the gear sets are the same. When did they change?
You have an ARB for what axle?

Here's a good thread that shows the difference between the newer style design and the older style design:

ARB RD36 has been discontinued? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

The specific parts shown in that thread are for the d60. The old style 9" vs the new style 9" ARB design is very similar though. There is much speculation on the durability of the new style D60 and 14 bolt ARBs based on how poorly the new style 9" design has performed. Time will tell how well they fare I guess, but in my opinion it was a poor design that they went with to cut costs and increase part commonality between units.

***This is simply my opinion based on what I've seen.***

Closed Thread