IH 466 into an IH 1466, what does it take?

Meyers Farms

I have access to a 1979 IH truck with a rebuilt 466 and know where I can get an IH 1466 with a bad engine. I know it's common for guys to swap the 466 into tractors but what does it take? Will any year 466 swap right in? Bellhousing the same? Even though I'm a JD guy I'm considering this project and am wondering what it takes to make it work?

Thanks!

My experience with swapping truck engines into tractors is you need to swap the bell housing and all the accessories from the original tractor engine to make it work so basically all you end up using from the truck is a bare engine. Sometimes you even have to swap the tractor oil pan and pickup tube. This isnt a big deal if you are swapping the same engine back in but if the engines arent the same (size, series, ect.) it could end up being a big pain

Front cover and bell housing will swap over I think? from a DT414 to a DT466. If you don't end up doing it, let me know on the 1466, would make a good farm stock puller with a 466 in it.

Also think its better to keep the rotary pump. What number block is the 466? 468 is the best.

I'll check the engine out after work today. Thanks for the info Derek.

Why is it better to keep the rotary pump?

Rotary is set up for the tractor already. To keep the inline, you will need adapters to the factory cover. And the inline will need sent off and changed to an ag governor.

Rotary is set up for the tractor already. To keep the inline, you will need adapters to the factory cover. And the inline will need sent off and changed to an ag governor.

That makes sense. I didn't have time on Friday to look at the truck, but I'll be at the farm tomorrow and check it out.

Unless your pulling the tractor. In that case, balance the bottom end and let it eat. That's what the local guys here do. Farm stock at that.

That's a good thing then. Yes inline is better for more fuel, just going to cost more upfront to run it. Theres a tractor from down around Brookville Indiana that still runs the rotary and will whip up on P-pumped tractors as well.

That's a good thing then. Yes inline is better for more fuel, just going to cost more upfront to run it. Theres a tractor from down around Brookville Indiana that still runs the rotary and will whip up on P-pumped tractors as well.

I assume you're talking about Dallas Dorrel? His tractor is a runner for sure! Very nice guy as well.

414, 436, and 466 all use the same bore, only the stroke is different. A 1466 should be a 436 I believe.

I checked out the 1466 and and we couldn't agree on price, so I'm open to any other 1066 or 1466 for sale. I'm looking for one with a bad engine preferably. Let me know if there is anything out there!

ACFarmer: if I can't make a deal on the 1466, I can send you his info if you're still interested.

Im guessing you and me probably think the same of things so if you didn't feel it was worth the asking price neither will I, but sure send it on over if you decide that.

Im guessing you and me probably think the same of things so if you didn't feel it was worth the asking price neither will I, but sure send it on over if you decide that.

I'm supposed to hear back on my final offer, if he turns it down I'll send the info your way. I would agree that we are close on our thinking except for JD vs AllisLOL:poke:

Back