Restrictor Tube Discussion

Just stating my views...for Chits and Giggles though...try my soup can theory and see what that does!

put your thumb over a garden hose... what happens to velocity? it increases...

what happens to volume of flow? it decreases...

LOL, your using a liquid under pressure that has completely different compressiblity and trying to compare it to a gas that is being sucked?

Last edited:
LOL, your using a liquid under pressure that has completely different compressiblity and trying to compare it to a gas that is being sucked?

I agree again! with the right combination of a velocity stack, profiled inner tube and being just the perfect distance from the inducer you are going to increase the velocity and once the velocity increases and the turbo can use the increased velocity its going to increase even more there for increaseing the volume of air. Everyone can think what they want on this subject but I have personally seen a few tractors running this same setup and they wouldn't do it if it wasn't making power for them! Also, why go to all the time of making some custom profiled tube in order to restrict the flow and lower the HP when you could just put a cap over the tube with a small hole it in!

I've never seen a velocity stack smaller than the inducer bore.

velocity stack is BIG...at the inner point of the velocity stack is where the profile starts and shoots air directly into the inducer. The one I looked at was almost un noticable untill you realized what you where looking at!

Tell me this, if the velocity stack had an internal dimension of 66mm for 1.5" and was placed in front of an 80mm compressor wheel, would it increase horsepower?

Last edited:
Tell me this, if the velocity stack had an internal dimension of 66" for 1.5" and was placed in front of an 80mm compressor wheel, would it increase horsepower?

????

how about a velocity stack with an OD of 10" at the point of air entry, tapering down to 5" and then have the "Profile" taper down to 4"ID and have the profile placed "X" distance from the inducer with a 5" wheel.

With the right profile the velocity can almost double and keep increasing as long as the charger can keep taking it. With no restriction infront of the profile and no eddy created between it and the charger the volume is also going to increase

The velocity is going to increase to the choke point, less mass flow however. Pure evil if you ask me.....

Frankly I'd stick to inducer bore size.

Pure evil if you ask me.....

Frankly I'd stick to inducer bore size.

Black magic. I can guarantee there has been more testing done with air restrictors than inducer bores to limit hp. Like many things, it just isn't worth debating on the internet.

Black magic. I can guarantee there has been more testing done with air restrictors than inducer bores to limit hp. Like many things, it just isn't worth debating on the internet.

Yea other orgs do it, but until the sanctioning bodies understand it and right a rule to put some limits on it, it won't do what it is intended to.

I thought I remembered this. Gasser's and Leman's where complaining that they where making to much power. So what did they do a restrictor plate.

Unlike most racing cars competing in the LMP1 series, the R10 is powered by a diesel engine, with two turbochargers and utilizes the Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) technology. The engine itself is a 5.5L V12 made of aluminium, employing common rail direct fuel injection technology. The turbochargers are supplied by Garrett AiResearch, with 39.9 mm (1.57 in) restrictor plates mounted in front of the intake.

You should contact the ACO and explain to them how their methods of restricting power in the American Le Mans Series is flawed. Typical "I don't understand it so we should shun the idea or ban it" mentality. And some wonder why this sport is hard pressed to progress.

any type of restricter or bushing will not make different size chargers flow even. this may work to reduce the power of these race cars, which it will do. but this is not an effective way to make s480's and s465s flow the same. call me stupid or what have you. it has already been proven with bushings. Clipping the wheel and make it a true 2.6 bore is the best way to do this, and to further make it more effective, loose the map groove.

any type of restricter or bushing will not make different size chargers flow even. this may work to reduce the power of these race cars, which it will do. but this is not an effective way to make s480's and s465s flow the same. call me stupid or what have you. it has already been proven with bushings. Clipping the wheel and make it a true 2.6 bore is the best way to do this, and to further make it more effective, loose the map groove.

:rockwoot:

Maybe I am comparing apples to peanuts, but on a stock LB7 duramax, the turbo inlet necks down right before the compressor cover ~3.5" to ~2.3." with all things being equal and switching to a ported inlet or an aftermarket piece has gained a minimum of 20hp, depending on the truck and their setup. this gain is produced on the top end since the turbo is no longer overspeeding at same cfm. I am no expert, but this example alone tells me that the restrictor tube will work. bigger turbos will have a max amount they will be able to flow and then fall off, essentially because of no drive pressure.

U guys must like nascar... this is the gayest thread ever! Why dont you just go to protrusion and find a common map width and call it a day! this will never work. To say that someone will have to rent one of these things if they wanna pull at there local fair will never work... you think cotpc is killing the scene with our rules... look at this ****

Back