Rofreund5

Hey everyone I'm new here. I have a 4bt cummins going into a 1950 chevy pick up. It has a stage 2 seth ferrel online injection pump and seems to be out of timing but not sure what timing it is set up for. If anyone happens to have some info I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Welcome. You pick-up the correct forum to find help. 1950 Chevy huh ? That is my favorite era of truck. Post pics please. Did you pin the engine at TDC when the pump was installed? Seth could likely tell you what the pump was pin timed to.

If you don't have the timing tool, you could look up spill port timing. It's the only way to know where you are timing wise. What makes you think its out of time ?

Last edited:
I'm having issues with getting it to crank. It will spin over for days but not take off. I've checked and double checked everything I can besides timing. I've ordered the tools to check/set timing currently waiting for them to come in. It's getting plenty of fuel to the injectors. I've checked the fuel rack in the pump and it's definitely not stuck. With that said it leads me to think the timing is off. I was not the one that built the engine so I have no way in telling where the current timing is until I get the tools in. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to post them.

picture.php

I would talk to Seth on the timing.

That’s going to be a sweet ride. I had a ‘47 once. I found it in a barn on a rabbit hunt. I had to cut down an 18” oak tree to get it out. My plan was to do a frame off all original restoration until I found it had been totaled at one time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 0
Do the inline pumps use the same very-easy-to-partially-shear key that the rotary pumps use?

I would talk to Seth on the timing.

That’s going to be a sweet ride. I had a ‘47 once. I found it in a barn on a rabbit hunt.

Hunting rabbits in a barn. That's a new one

Do the inline pumps use the same very-easy-to-partially-shear key that the rotary pumps use?

P Pumps don't use a key in stock applications. The gear will spin on the shaft if not torqued properly.

Are you getting white smoke while trying to crank it?

Don't waist your money on timing tools, contact the pump builder and find out what the pump is pin timed at, then let us know what that is and we can explain what to do from there.

That's a funky looking gear housing cover. Looks like there's a removable plate in front of the pump drive gear.

I'm thinking maybe the gear slipped on the shaft. They can be assholes sometimes. If that is a removable cover, you could pull it off and check the nut. You could also mark the gear and the front of the shaft with white out. Then crank it over and see if it changes.

That's what I'm thinking hence why I wanna check the timing. I've called seth ferrel and left a message regarding the pinned timing on the pump but no answer so waiting on call back. Timing kit should be here in a few days so hopefully I'll hear something by then.

That's what I'm thinking hence why I wanna check the timing. I've called seth ferrel and left a message regarding the pinned timing on the pump but no answer so waiting on call back. Timing kit should be here in a few days so hopefully I'll hear something by then.

Waiting sucks. :doh: Now we all have to wait. :Cheer:

picture.php

Was able to talk to seth and he was able to send me this build sheet. Now to just check the timing on the pump and go from there. He said if the pump is in timing then go to the injectors and pull them and clean them.

Did you use a new lock washer?

Pin the pump and pin the engine. If you aren't sure where the engine is and the timing gears, get piston #1 as close as you can to TDC, attach a timing wheel to the crank, and then drop a valve on the piston and use a dial indicator on the valve to get it right on.

The timing tool should just be a dial indicator that goes in #1 delivery valve. You'll need the lift measurement that you want to set it to for TDC.

If I'm reading that screenshot right. He should be able to pin time the motor and pump. Once that's done the pump is set at 18*. There's a cap on the pump that has a pin in it. Pull the cap off. You'll see a metal pin stuck in a plastic piece. You flip it about and with help of a friend slowly turn the motor over by hand until the pin fits into the port. Then remove the pin out of the port. Pop the gear loose of the tapered shaft.

There's a plug/pin on the back of the timing cover of the motor. take the O ring off. Then with help of a friend slowly turn the motor over by hand until you feel that plug/pin drop in. It's only going to drop in about .08-.100 A lot of people that have average size fingers use there pinky and feel for the like hole then back the motor up and slowly rotate the motor until it drops in.

Easiest way is to youtube it...........

That’s right. With the pump pinned at 18*, pin them both and tighten it down. As stated, use a new washer and make SURE the shaft and gear are perfectly clean.

Back