blown head gasket ?

Cummins12v

i have an oringed head that has been on the truck for around 6 years without any issues. i recently put a bigger turbo and pump on my truck took it for 2 test runs blew boots both times and now i just noticed coolant starting to drip/run from between head and block next to #3. nothing is mixing. what would have caused this to happen? i would imagine everything would be mixing?motor has prostreet 887 pump 5x18s and 69/80 compounds

If the gasket blew out without crossing the oil passages, then you won’t get a mix.

Yep I’ve seen a lot of older 12 valves. Leaking water out the exhaust side of head and never mix. I believe it’s a age and heat issue. And when you remove it the gasket seems more brittle under the exhaust runners. I’ve got 2 in the shop now and one last week with the same issue.

Mine currently leaks under the manifold, between cylinder 5 and 6. Been that way for a while now. Coolant only. I'm not sure if it will get worse.

Yep I’ve seen a lot of older 12 valves. Leaking water out the exhaust side of head and never mix. I believe it’s a age and heat issue. And when you remove it the gasket seems more brittle under the exhaust runners. I’ve got 2 in the shop now and one last week with the same issue.

This makes sense i know I didn’t blow a fire ring I’m thinking it’s from heat I just hope my head is ok and just the gasket is what failed

This small drip from the manifold side, is it imperative that it be fixed immediately?

Mine is inconsistent and has never dropped the level of coolant enough to notice. Is yours the same, Cummins12V, or is it leaking more/ more frequently?

I've ran them without worry, lots of miles and a seep on the passenger side, mine only leaked during warm up and cool down, nothing after running temp.

The main concern with running too long on a blown gasket without cross leaks, is that if there is escaping combustion; you can etch the block/head.

This small drip from the manifold side, is it imperative that it be fixed immediately?

Mine is inconsistent and has never dropped the level of coolant enough to notice. Is yours the same, Cummins12V, or is it leaking more/ more frequently?

yeah mine is similar. im just going to replace the gasket this will drive me nuts. you should do the same its super easy

Keep some antifreeze in it, dont just fill with water, or The deck will get pitted up bad in that area. Other than that, you could probably drive it another 50k miles.

The main concern with running too long on a blown gasket without cross leaks, is that if there is escaping combustion; you can etch the block/head.

This^^^I drove one for a while and pitted the hell out of the block and head.

Dang. I figured as much. I don't think I'm losing compression and probably talking about a teaspoon worth of coolant drips total over 6 months, but it sounds like a good reason to ring it.

Dang. I figured as much. I don't think I'm losing compression and probably talking about a teaspoon worth of coolant drips total over 6 months, but it sounds like a good reason to ring it.

For the record I was addressing the OP. The leak you have may be a run it and watch it type of leak. I mean, if your not adding any coolant ???
O-ringing is fun, so you do what you want.

Got ya.

Sound like OP making a bit of steam with his setup. I'd probably be more concerned if I was running that kind of power.

Cummins12v, when you replace that headgasket get a pic of where it blew out if possible.

Got ya.

Sound like OP making a bit of steam with his setup. I'd probably be more concerned if I was running that kind of power.

Cummins12v, when you replace that headgasket get a pic of where it blew out if possible.

It stops leaking once it warms up. If I get rained out I’ll fix it tomorrow and post some pictures.

Mine started leaking in the same area. The head gasket just deteriorated in that area after 20 years and 415k. It was just a leak to the outside. If I remember correctly, it wasn't even a blown head gasket. It just started leaking to the oustide. I imagine the hotter heat going out the exhaust side deteriorates the gasket quicker than the intake side. There is less iron on that side of the head as well, which 'may' be a contributor.

Back