Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
Dbordenb

Name: Dbordenb
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Whine sound when accelerating

I have been trying to find a whining sound that seems to be coming from near the alternator on my 2014. It starts at about 1100 rpm and is there on acceleration and when revving in park. When under the truck it can be herd but is very faint. With my head under the hood it is most noticeable near the alternator/turbo/exhaust manifold area. I used my stethoscope but it all sounds the same I haven’t been able to pin point one located with it.
So far I have checked the bearings on the dive belt system and the alternator bearing sounded like it was bad so I replaced it with a new alternator but the whine is still present. Does the alternator on these trucks always make a little noise as it spins faster? If not where should I look next for the sound?

Old 04-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
The alternator should be quiet.

Check your tensioner (which is below the alternator) and the idle pulley (left side of engine).

Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
Good luck. I’ve been looking for one that comes around like you’re describing. Mine almost sounds like the turbo, but it starts just before it spools. I haven’t gotten around to checking boost leaks yet because I’m leaning towards a pulley somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 04-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
dummins

Name: dummins
Title: Another moron
Member`s Gallery
Any way it could be a water pump related noise?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Good luck. I’ve been looking for one that comes around like you’re describing. Mine almost sounds like the turbo, but it starts just before it spools. I haven’t gotten around to checking boost leaks yet because I’m leaning towards a pulley somewhere.
I just started wondering this morning if it’s turbo related. Mine also starts right before the turbo starts to spool. Have you tried taking the belt off to see if it still makes the noise? That would tell us if it was a pulley or not right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummins View Post
Any way it could be a water pump related noise?
I’m not ruling that out. Does the water pump make a little noise as it starts moving water faster? It could be that. I loosened my belt and all the pulley bearings spun good and there wasn’t any play in any of them. But maybe I need to pull the belt off and start it for a second to see if that kills the whine.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I had this and it ended up being a manifold bolt had backed itself out, I swore it was a bearing and acted just like this.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
Changed belt, tensioner, and idler pulley and there is no change to the whine. Tomorrow I’ll check the manifold bolts to see if one of them is loose.
if it’s not a manifold bolt I don’t know what to check next.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
fatty

Name: fatty
Title: VE
Member`s Gallery
I had a 2014 ram for a while that had an annoying whine. I'm pretty sure it was the power steering pump because the noise changed slightly when you turned the wheel. Never did get it checked out/fixed before I sold it.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:24 AM   #9
fatty

Name: fatty
Title: VE
Member`s Gallery
Never mind. You probably wouldn't hear that more on the exhaust side.

Closed Thread