Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > Ford How-To
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ford How-To Post your installs and Modifications here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Fuel Filter Change on 2008 Ford 6.4L

Searched with little results. Watched a few youtube videos but most are schidt.

How does one properly bleed a 6.4L after both filters are swapped. Apparently I get to do this Saturday on my paw-n-law's truck. Trying to do my homework before I get there. I see that I'll need a 36mm socket. Do I need a certain fitting or anything for the bleed line? And just cycle key on and off 6 times? I don't see them bumping the starter like we do on the dodges.

Any help would be SUPER! I'd love to show up and know what to do and not look like an iD10t.

#NotAFordMan

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 10-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Searched with little results. Watched a few youtube videos but most are schidt.

How does one properly bleed a 6.4L after both filters are swapped. Apparently I get to do this Saturday on my paw-n-law's truck. Trying to do my homework before I get there. I see that I'll need a 36mm socket. Do I need a certain fitting or anything for the bleed line? And just cycle key on and off 6 times? I don't see them bumping the starter like we do on the dodges.

Any help would be SUPER! I'd love to show up and know what to do and not look like an iD10t.

#NotAFordMan
Have to get rid of the 6.4 to not look like an idiot!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 10-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
So from what I've gathered....it is NOT necessary to bleed the system if you change the filters one at a time then cycle the key on and off for 6 cycles.

Everyone concur with that?

Old 10-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
I guess effin' rookie questions get rookie response times.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Make sure you use Motorcraft filters. I cycle the key, and let the pump time out each time, until I don’t hear air hitting the tank anymore.

I’ve had a couple 6.4’s that wouldn’t prime after a fuel filter swap, and had to put a HFCM (Ford speak for the pump/filter assembly on the frame) before they would prime and stay running.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Changing them one at a time makes it easier to start, but isn't necessary. I always do it like this: change the hfcm filter (the one on the frame) and make sure you wipe out the cap as it will likely have debris in it. You will also get a diesel shower if the truck is a 4x4. It's tight working conditions. I can't usually seat the filter in the cap and then install it like you should-there isn't room. I usually stick the filter in the housing and then thread the cap on. Then move to the upper filter (it's the smaller of the two plastic caps on top of the engine). As a habit, due to high quantity of hpfp failures on these, I always take a light and check the bottom of the bowl for sparkles or metallic flakes. If so-bad news lol. Once you've put the new filter up top, cycle the key six times for 20 seconds each. You should hear some gurgling at first. Then, with the key on, go under hood and locate the Schrader valve on the side of the fuel cooler. The cooler is on the drivers side, bolted to a bracket on the u-tube connecting the two turbos. Kind of a square aluminum thing with a miniature rad cap on it. Lay a rag under it and poke the valve. You will get some air and bubbles out of there. Probably the pump will have timed out and you will need to go cycle the key again. Keep poking the valve until you get straight fuel out. Only then attempt to start the engine.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Excellent, fellas. Thanks for the tips. Greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
you don't need to bleed as stated above. Just Change both Filters, Key on 20secs then off a few times. truck should start.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
what a pita

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 11-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
what a pita
Agreed. Use filters that can be pre-filled. Either top load, or canisters up from the bottom. This sideways schidt piss3s me off every time. Like the oil filter on the wife's Enclave. The motherfawker is behind the fan where a person can barely reach it and as soon as it cracks the seal...everything gets a bath. Some engineers need locked in portable toilets and set on fire.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Angry

Quote:
Agreed. Use filters that can be pre-filled. Either top load, or canisters up from the bottom. This sideways schidt3s me off every time. Like the oil filter on the wife's Enclave. The motherfawker is behind the fan where a person can barely reach it and as soon as it cracks the seal...everything gets a bath. Some engineers need locked in portable toilets and set on fire.
Here’s the proper way to do a fuel system on a Powerstroke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 182D5C38-E2A7-4235-A30E-B844FC6033D0.jpg (210.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by bracker8040; 11-01-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Here’s the proper way to do a fuel system on a Powerstroke.
Ya, that's a tad overboard for paw-paw's bone stock highway truck.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Changing them one at a time makes it easier to start, but isn't necessary. I always do it like this: change the hfcm filter (the one on the frame) and make sure you wipe out the cap as it will likely have debris in it. You will also get a diesel shower if the truck is a 4x4. It's tight working conditions. I can't usually seat the filter in the cap and then install it like you should-there isn't room. I usually stick the filter in the housing and then thread the cap on. Then move to the upper filter (it's the smaller of the two plastic caps on top of the engine). As a habit, due to high quantity of hpfp failures on these, I always take a light and check the bottom of the bowl for sparkles or metallic flakes. If so-bad news lol. Once you've put the new filter up top, cycle the key six times for 20 seconds each. You should hear some gurgling at first. Then, with the key on, go under hood and locate the Schrader valve on the side of the fuel cooler. The cooler is on the drivers side, bolted to a bracket on the u-tube connecting the two turbos. Kind of a square aluminum thing with a miniature rad cap on it. Lay a rag under it and poke the valve. You will get some air and bubbles out of there. Probably the pump will have timed out and you will need to go cycle the key again. Keep poking the valve until you get straight fuel out. Only then attempt to start the engine.
Had trouble in the past without bleeding the Schrader valve. Use the valve every time now and haven’t had a problem since.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyers Farms View Post
Had trouble in the past without bleeding the Schrader valve. Use the valve every time now and haven’t had a problem since.
For no more time than it will take to do that.....it seems to me like a "might as well do it" thing. So, kick the pump in and bleed it while the pump is running, correct? How do you keep it from going everywhere? I don't have a fitting to put on it.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyers Farms View Post

Awesome ! A debate on changing Powerstroke fuel filters. I am riveted.

Leave it to Cattleman.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post

Leave it to Cattleman.
Hey. I never work on this Ford schidt and I surely don't want to go get my father-in-laws truck vapor locked and look dumb. Get back on your porch, El Torino.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #17
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post

Leave it to Cattleman.

Quote:
For no more time than it will take to do that.....it seems to me like a "might as well do it" thing. So, kick the pump in and bleed it while the pump is running, correct? How do you keep it from going everywhere? I don't have a fitting to put on it.
Key on, pump running. I use the cap from an aerosol can to catch the fuel and run a couple cap fills out. It doesn’t spray out, it will just run out and you will notice air bubbles being pushed out.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #18
turbom700

Name: turbom700
Member`s Gallery
I did a cummins swap on my truck when it need the fuel filters changed it was much easier and cheaper that way.

1997 s10 2wd 350sbc 4l80e

2000 vw gold tdi

1999 Sportsman DIESEL

Old 11-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Starts and runs for 5 seconds and dies. What now? Piece of sh1t ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 11-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #20
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Starts and runs for 5 seconds and dies. What now? Piece of sh1t ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See post #18.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Closed Thread