Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > Ford How-To
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ford How-To Post your installs and Modifications here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Get it running yet?

Old 11-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #22
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
accidental fuel fire?

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 11-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #23
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Ya, we finally got it. Just kept bleeding the scrader valve and the rear cooler banjo bolt. Who designs this stupid schidt?

Truck still has no power, will eventually get to 60 mph with light pedal, but if you stomp it, pedal goes dead...jumps and bucks...it's just messed up. It's beyond anything I know how to do so he'll just have to take it in somewhere.

There was paper pieces in the first filter from the tank. Paper with print on it. Not enough to figure out what it was from. He was hoping the issue was that it just needed new filters. The last time this happened, they replaced filters and it fixed it since the first filter was completely covered with debris. Must have got some trash from the filling station. This time, not so much. We idled it for 10-15 minutes then drove it about 10 miles. It never got better. Out of my hands at this point.

Last edited by 4x4dually; 11-04-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #24
Strokersace

Name: Strokersace
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Ya, we finally got it. Just kept bleeding the scrader valve and the rear cooler banjo bolt. Who designs this stupid schidt?

Truck still has no power, will eventually get to 60 mph with light pedal, but if you stomp it, pedal goes dead...jumps and bucks...it's just messed up. It's beyond anything I know how to do so he'll just have to take it in somewhere.

There was paper pieces in the first filter from the tank. Paper with print on it. Not enough to figure out what it was from. He was hoping the issue was that it just needed new filters. The last time this happened, they replaced filters and it fixed it since the first filter was completely covered with debris. Must have got some trash from the filling station. This time, not so much. We idled it for 10-15 minutes then drove it about 10 miles. It never got better. Out of my hands at this point.

Sounds like something was put down the filler and into the tank. Pickup tube screen is likely the culprit now. Might have to drop the tank and see what the heck is going on.

Or (and this is coming from a 6.4 ford owner...) get rid of that dang thing!! 😂

Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #25
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokersace View Post
Sounds like something was put down the filler and into the tank. Pickup tube screen is likely the culprit now. Might have to drop the tank and see what the heck is going on.

Or (and this is coming from a 6.4 ford owner...) get rid of that dang thing!! 😂
Apparently the mechanic shop told him last time "there's nothing in the tank, it must have all made it out." I find that hard to believe since I found more. I agree. Tank probably needs dropped. I also suspect the pickup tube but what do I know. I'm usually wrong.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #26
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Check LPFP Pressure. Before dropping the tank... That way you can see if this is the issue... otherwise you are just guessing that Fuel Pressure is dropping...

Old 11-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #27
Strokersace

Name: Strokersace
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
Check LPFP Pressure. Before dropping the tank... That way you can see if this is the issue... otherwise you are just guessing that Fuel Pressure is dropping...

If there’s debris (paper with printing on it) in the lpfp filter then it could have only came from the tank. Yes the lack of flow could have killed the lpfp, but it didn’t cause the debris. Tank has to come down either way.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #28
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
I'm just confused as hell as to where paper with printed text came from. Maybe a filter at a station fell apart or something? I have no idea. Most all of his fuel comes from a brand new Love's station a mile from his house. The tanks and equipment are right at a year old. Surely everything is still clean.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #29
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The tanks and equipment are right at a year old. Surely everything is still clean.
Yet you have proof to the contrary. Debris in the filter.
Has he ever changed the air filter?

Old 11-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #30
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Yet you have proof to the contrary. Debris in the filter.
Has he ever changed the air filter?
I can't speak to that. This is his "highway" truck as he calls it that sits in the shop nice and clean 99% of the time. He drives his work truck daily and this one only gets out to make a run to a cattle sale, or to pull a trailer if they need an extra truck, etc. It's dang near factory clean underneath and all over other than a few bugs and some dust.

He headed down to San Angelo, TX with it a while back and got about 10 miles from his destination and it went into limp mode. He found a mechanic and they found the bottom filter to be full of crap. They supposedly clean it all out and said the tank was clean and replaced filters. It ran fine after that on the way home. He got it out last week and back to the same thing. It is apparent that they didn't get it all and that possible some of it has now made it to more important places......which sucks since it will probably cost him a good chunk of change now.

Last edited by 4x4dually; 11-05-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #31
B.A.Ram

Name: B.A.Ram
Title: A Big Deal
Member`s Gallery
Recently took a buddy's 6.7 f250 to the deer lease; made it about 10 miles before it started popping low fuel pressure warnings and went into limp mode. Pump was whining so made quick assumption it was going bad, swapped trucks and went to kill critters. Ordered a new frame rail pump for it while out hunting and swapped it when we got back. Wouldn't prime no matter what we did. Finally blew some compressed air back into the tank and it primed and ran fine......for about 10 minutes and then all back down hill again with a new pump. Filters were clean no sign of debris. Sitting there scratching my head and he mentioned he had put def in the fuel tank a few months ago, didn't start it, took it to the Ford dealer and they dropped the tank, cleaned it out and gave it back. Immediately dropped the tank and wouldn't you know, ol Ferd tech was kind enough to leave a handful of shop towels in the tank that slowly but surely clogged everything up. Runs fine now.......

2016 Lexus G-Ride

Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #32
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
I guess paw-in-law took it to a shop in Burkburnett, TX. They are going to drop the tank, inspect/clean everything. New filters, new high pressure pump, and new IPR. They also are charging $100 to reflash the computer. Why the hell would a pump change require a reflash? Stupid ass Fords.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #33
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I guess paw-in-law took it to a shop in Burkburnett, TX. They are going to drop the tank, inspect/clean everything. New filters, new high pressure pump, and new IPR. They also are charging $100 to reflash the computer. Why the hell would a pump change require a reflash? Stupid Fords.
They shouldn’t have to do a reflash. If the truck is deleted/tuned, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT let them reflash it.

Also, a 6.4 doesn’t have an IPR.

Last edited by bracker8040; 11-08-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #34
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I guess paw-in-law took it to a shop in Burkburnett, TX. They are going to drop the tank, inspect/clean everything. New filters, new high pressure pump, and new IPR. They also are charging $100 to reflash the computer. Why the hell would a pump change require a reflash? Stupid ass Fords.
If it isn't throwing the p0088 or 89 code, don't change the hpfp.

Are they talking about the frp sensor?

And no need to flash anything for a pump swap however it is a good idea to clear the fuel table memory.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #35
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
If it isn't throwing the p0088 or 89 code, don't change the hpfp.

Are they talking about the frp sensor?

And no need to flash anything for a pump swap however it is a good idea to clear the fuel table memory.
I think it was throwing the 88. But, my concern is that we cause all them codes when we had issues getting it primed after the filter change. Who knows. I hope they get it figured out for him without costing him $1500....but I doubt they do for less.

And I thought he told me they are swapping the IPT.....which I figured he meant the IPR....FRP? Hell, I don't know.

Just seems to me they are throwing in a lot of BS that doesn't need touched....but I'm not a Ford mechanic so what do I know.

Last edited by 4x4dually; 11-08-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #36
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
A 6.4 lasts long enough to warrant a fuel filter change?

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #37
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I think it was throwing the 88. But, my concern is that we cause all them codes when we had issues getting it primed after the filter change. Who knows. I hope they get it figured out for him without costing him $1500....but I doubt they do for less.

And I thought he told me they are swapping the IPT.....which I figured he meant the IPR....FRP? Hell, I don't know.

Just seems to me they are throwing in a lot of BS that doesn't need touched....but I'm not a Ford mechanic so what do I know.
IPR is injector pressure regulator on a 7.3 or 6.0.

FRP is fuel rail pressure sensor on a 6.4 or 6.7. Similar to ICP sensor on 7.3 or 6.0.

If they do change the hpfp it’ll cost WAY more than $1,500. The pump is almost that much, plus 12-16 hours labor.

They need to start at the tank and make sure it, and the pickup are clean, before they do anything else.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #38
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Figured out where the paper came from. They found more of it in the tank. It was the receipt from where the fuel delivery guy delivery the diesel that was in the overhead tank at the farm.....he left the receipt....coiled up...inside the tip of the nozzle apparently.

I think a fuel company might be getting ready to have a few repair receipts delivered to their main office.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 11-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #39
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Figured out where the paper came from. They found more of it in the tank. It was the receipt from where the fuel delivery guy delivery the diesel that was in the overhead tank at the farm.....he left the receipt....coiled up...inside the tip of the nozzle apparently.

I think a fuel company might be getting ready to have a few repair receipts delivered to their main office.
Genius place to leave the receipt!

Old 11-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #40
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
is it red fuel? lol...dude......

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Closed Thread