Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
JimmyWells

Name: JimmyWells
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Bubbles in Coolant

Had an inframe done with a fire ringed head. Overflow tube still is damp so I did a bottle test. Weird thing is I've disconnected the compressor but still saw bubbles. There was still enough air in the tanks to operated the fan so I drained them 100 percent empty and the bubbles stopped. How can this be though? If the compressor is disconnected what else could be putting air in there?

Old 05-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Blown headgasket

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
JimmyWells

Member`s Gallery
...but I don't have any bubbles in the bottle with all air drained from the truck idling at 1400rpm with 210 degrees of temp.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Ah I missed that part sorry

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2021, 07:42 AM   #5
JimmyWells

Member`s Gallery
No problem. It just doesn't make sense. I'd love to know what's causing it.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
What vehicle are we talking about? Does the cooling system have air operated heater valves?

Old 05-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #7
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWells View Post
Had an inframe done with a fire ringed head. Overflow tube still is damp so I did a bottle test. Weird thing is I've disconnected the compressor but still saw bubbles. There was still enough air in the tanks to operated the fan so I drained them 100 percent empty and the bubbles stopped. How can this be though? If the compressor is disconnected what else could be putting air in there?
Fire rings can take a little while to settle in. Try a retorque before testing again. What are you working on?
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 05-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
What vehicle are we talking about? Does the cooling system have air operated heater valves?
I'm guessing he's referring to the AIR compressor on something and stated he has bypassed the coolant going to it?

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #9
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
I'm guessing he's referring to the AIR compressor on something and stated he has bypassed the coolant going to it?
I understood that.
I just don't know what equipment he's working on. We've had trucks come in that have air actuated valves for heater control. Those valves can leak into the cooling system. I assumed that being he posted in the big rig bla bla bla forum and mentioned air compressor it was not a pick-up.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #10
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
Wasn’t meant toward you, Jeff. I was agreeing with you and wondering what he was working on,

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 05-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Wasn’t meant toward you, Jeff. I was agreeing with you and wondering what he was working on,
Well you just better check yourself mister, you know I'm sensitive.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #12
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post

Been quite a few engines torn down because of the Freightliner heater valve. Transmissions and rears replaced because of a bad leveling valve.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:41 PM   #13
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Been quite a few engines torn down because of the Freightliner heater valve. Transmissions and rears replaced because of a bad leveling valve.
My buddy just had a driver take a truck in for a " bad tranny" and apparently he had driven into a hole and overcentered the leveler. 2 hours of shoprate for that diagnosis, still cheaper than a trans so silver linings I guess.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 05-22-2021, 05:16 AM   #14
JimmyWells

Member`s Gallery
Sorry for the late reply, I've been out running. Anyway, it's 3406e in 94 W900. The only air actuated valve I know of is the fresh/recirculation valve inside the climate box. I talked to the shop that did the work about it and they mentioned it may have to settle in a little too. Thing is I don't think the bubbles are from combustion gasses because once I drain all air from the system with the compressor disconnected they go away. If I even leave enough air in the tanks to operate the fan, the bubbles will return.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #15
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, I've been out running. Anyway, it's 3406e in 94 W900. The only air actuated valve I know of is the fresh/recirculation valve inside the climate box. I talked to the shop that did the work about it and they mentioned it may have to settle in a little too. Thing is I don't think the bubbles are from combustion gasses because once I drain all air from the system with the compressor disconnected they go away. If I even leave enough air in the tanks to operate the fan, the bubbles will return.

They’re talking out their ass on “settling in”. Who’s head? (is it the Chinese APC) Who’s head gasket? Once that gasket is crimped it’s crimped, nothing needs to settle.

Have you aired the truck up cold to see if it still does it? Meaning let it sit over night, don’t start it and charge the air system off an air compressor or other truck. Have you replaced the radiator cap? Pressurize the cooling system with a hand pump and see if leaks down after a few hours. Do this cold and hot.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #16
JimmyWells

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
They’re talking out their ass on “settling in”. Who’s head? (is it the Chinese APC) Who’s head gasket? Once that gasket is crimped it’s crimped, nothing needs to settle.

Have you aired the truck up cold to see if it still does it? Meaning let it sit over night, don’t start it and charge the air system off an air compressor or other truck. Have you replaced the radiator cap? Pressurize the cooling system with a hand pump and see if leaks down after a few hours. Do this cold and hot.
Richard at Antrim Diesel told me that. They did a Platinum overhaul, cut all six holes and had the head sent to the machine shop to have pressure tested and decked. When I got it back, it was still pushing coolant so they tore it apart, sent the head back to the machine shop who claimed they could see a slight carbon trail but pressure tested fine. Sent the head to K and D to have it ringed. I get it back and now here it is still pushing coolant.

I don't have a shop nor a compressor but I'll look into getting a pressure kit to check for leak down. When it's cold there's pressure when I take the cap off. It's a new 10lb cap from KW and I had them test it when I bought it.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #17
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
You should be able to “rent” or borrow a pressure tester from O’Reilly’s, Autozone, etc.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 05-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #18
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Richard at Antrim Diesel told me that. They did a Platinum overhaul, cut all six holes and had the head sent to the machine shop to have pressure tested and decked. When I got it back, it was still pushing coolant so they tore it apart, sent the head back to the machine shop who claimed they could see a slight carbon trail but pressure tested fine. Sent the head to K and D to have it ringed. I get it back and now here it is still pushing coolant.

I don't have a shop nor a compressor but I'll look into getting a pressure kit to check for leak down. When it's cold there's pressure when I take the cap off. It's a new 10lb cap from KW and I had them test it when I bought it.

Ok the reason I asked is when we ring the heads you MUST use a Cat gasket. The location was measured for the exact location of the fire ring in the cat gasket and will not hit the other brands. Had one guy blow 3 before he admitted he was using IPD gasket. The size of the target is much smaller on those. Also some guys are cutting them with hand tools so the accuracy and wire protrusion is questionable. Liner height is a big deal too, since the wire is there I wouldn’t ever set one about .005.

Did anyone actually inspect the used gaskets to see if there were any cracks in the fire rings or they just pulling the head and throwing them away?

Get a pressure tester and pump the cooling system to 12psi and let it sit. Do it cold and hot (unless the problem shows itself immediately). Pulling the head again is last resort.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #19
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
How is the cooling system plumbed on the compressor?

Old 05-27-2021, 05:33 AM   #20
JimmyWells

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You should be able to “rent” or borrow a pressure tester from O’Reilly’s, Autozone, etc.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Closed Thread