Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 05:45 AM   #21
JimmyWells

Name: JimmyWells
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Ok the reason I asked is when we ring the heads you MUST use a Cat gasket. The location was measured for the exact location of the fire ring in the cat gasket and will not hit the other brands. Had one guy blow 3 before he admitted he was using IPD gasket. The size of the target is much smaller on those. Also some guys are cutting them with hand tools so the accuracy and wire protrusion is questionable. Liner height is a big deal too, since the wire is there I wouldn’t ever set one about .005.

Did anyone actually inspect the used gaskets to see if there were any cracks in the fire rings or they just pulling the head and throwing them away?

Get a pressure tester and pump the cooling system to 12psi and let it sit. Do it cold and hot (unless the problem shows itself immediately). Pulling the head again is last resort.
10four, I've heard that before...makes sense. A CAT gasket was used both times and they used a place they trust (K&D) to do the ring job. I never saw the protrusion sheet but they told me they remeasured the second time and the numbers were 4-4.5 across all 6 holes. They also said they didn't see anything on the gasket or anywhere else that indicated a leak but the machine shop that did the original pressure check and decking rechecked it and saw some slight indication of a leak but the head checked out ok so they reinstalled it.

I can't withstand the downtime to pull the head again at this point. Antrim had my truck for 4 weeks the first time and 3 the second time. Another round like that and I'll be out of business. I'll try the rental deal BigPapa mentioned over the weekend and report back ASAP, thanks.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #22
JimmyWells

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
How is the cooling system plumbed on the compressor?
What do you mean exactly?

Old 05-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #23
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
As far as the in / outlet. You said once you dumped the air tanks the bubbles disappeared, so I was just trying to visualize the coolant routing and ensure that the compressor was completely removed from the scenario

Edit: I read your post again, and it just states "disconnected", so I was assuming that meant coolant lines. Or did you remove the entire compressor from the engine?

Last edited by JWhite; 05-27-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #24
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
As far as the in / outlet. You said once you dumped the air tanks the bubbles disappeared, so I was just trying to visualize the coolant routing and ensure that the compressor was completely removed from the scenario

Edit: I read your post again, and it just states "disconnected", so I was assuming that meant coolant lines. Or did you remove the entire compressor from the engine?

There is only one air discharge line that runs from compressor to air dryer. Once it’s disconnected the compressor is just pumping into the atmosphere and making zero pressure.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:13 PM   #25
JimmyWells

Member`s Gallery
Well, it looks like it's the headgasket...again. I was unable to get the pressure test kit from Autozone so I decided to use the fluid that changes color as an alternative and sure enough that liquid turned green. I tested when the engine was cold and as it began to warm up the bubbles got worse and worse. They also started before the thermostat opened. Then, I drained everything from the tanks, fan hub and disconnected the compressor. The bubbles slowed down significantly but they still changed the fluid green again. I'm pretty bummed out here. I feel like I threw 25k down the drain or I'm getting hosed by the shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210531_123035962.jpg (247.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JimmyWells; 05-31-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Closed Thread