Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > Allis Chalmers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Allis Chalmers Big Orange

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #21
6gears

Name: 6gears
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
...this is fun... We have ran Allis's on the farm all my life. We have an 8050 that windowed the block at about 3300 hours. It was not turned up, abused, or neglected. It was also idleing while I hooked the pto shaft up on our batwing mower! We also have an 8070 that was running about 225hp. until it melted a groove in the top of the cylinder sleeve on #2 cylinder, across the head, and into #3 cylinder. I also have a 200 here with over 7000 hours on it, never been opened up. It has had a couple of injection pumps and is neglected.......still runs like a top. I am very dissapointed in the way AGCO is treating our local dealer and we just purchased a different brand tractor from a different dealer......first off color tractor on the farm in the last 60 years.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #22
Peterson

Name: Peterson
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
how many hours between oil changes? what kind of oil? and filter's?
Allis Chalmers D17 Puller with AC 3500 MKII

Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #23
6gears

Name: 6gears
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
You will laugh when I tell you.... The oil gets changed every year with about 150 hours on it. Either Agco filters or fleetgaurd. When it scattered we were running rotella t, everything is switched over to Delvac now. The dealer told us that some of the 8050s had a batch of bad pistons and the pins came loose....most windowed the block. Ours was bad enough that we could not save any of the motor. New motor has about 1300 hours now and going strong.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
yes i did laugh. 150 hrs. is called neglect, and rotella t is called abuse. and when, if ever, have you either cleaned or changed the engine air filter?? these motors get hot if you dont keep the filter clean.

i would stay away from that dealer, because if a 8050 has the 426, and so does the 8030 and 8070, wouldnt they have this same problem of pins coming loose? but ive never heard of that anyway.

now what i think the problem is with these motors "that throw a rod" is that it is improper oil change intervel, and not useing GOOD oil.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #25
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gears View Post
I am very dissapointed in the way AGCO is treating our local dealer and we just purchased a different brand tractor from a different dealer......first off color tractor on the farm in the last 60 years.
Which dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17cumminsboy View Post
how many hours between oil changes? what kind of oil? and filter's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gears View Post
You will laugh when I tell you.... The oil gets changed every year with about 150 hours on it. Either Agco filters or fleetgaurd. When it scattered we were running rotella t, everything is switched over to Delvac now. The dealer told us that some of the 8050s had a batch of bad pistons and the pins came loose....most windowed the block. Ours was bad enough that we could not save any of the motor. New motor has about 1300 hours now and going strong.
Never heard of that problem...there was a small wrist pin and a big wrist pin, but all the 8050's should have been big pin. Not saying the dealer was wrong, just that we don't remember hearing about that problem...could have been a batch of tractors built where we didn't sell any?? Also, FYI, any AGCO filter is Fleetguard, unless it's a "Heritage" number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17cumminsboy View Post
yes i did laugh. 150 hrs. is called neglect, and rotella t is called abuse. and when, if ever, have you either cleaned or changed the engine air filter?? these motors get hot if you dont keep the filter clean.

i would stay away from that dealer, because if a 8050 has the 426, and so does the 8030 and 8070, wouldnt they have this same problem of pins coming loose? but ive never heard of that anyway.

now what i think the problem is with these motors "that throw a rod" is that it is improper oil change intervel, and not useing GOOD oil.
Really? 150 hours is neglect? New tractors call for 400 hour oil changes AND they soot the oil worse than the older stuff. 100-200 hours is perfectly fine for service intervals. I will agree that good clean oil is a must, but Rotella T at 150hrs is NOT neglect! Air filters need cleaned during that interval, and we like to see them replaced at least once a year...of course that's depending on how much you use them as well.

And throwing a rod on an AC engine is almost always due to one thing...rod bearing failure. Spins the bearing, chucks the rod usually through the cam, and if you get lucky you won't get hit with the rod cap. If you get real lucky the piston will smack the valves and head before she comes out, giving you a little time to shut it down and save something AC engines are hard on bearings...we used to put bearings in them just out of warranty just trying to get them past 2000hrs. Some last a long time on bearings, some don't.

Don't even get me started on the "better " cranks used in the 8070's and 7080's...
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 12-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #26
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Chris, just remember, you can take a horse to water but you can not make them drink.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #27
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, I feel like he should be asking me why he can't make 600hp without spending any more money

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #28
ACFarmer

Name: ACFarmer
Title: On to the next project
Member`s Gallery
New Hollands are up to 500 hour service specs now..... Hey Chris, do you know whos getting the last orange tractors?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #29
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
I saw an article the other day about who got the final DT275B, but I'm not sure who'll get most of the last batch...I know we're still waiting on 5 or 6 orange ones.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 12-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #30
ACFarmer

Member`s Gallery
Figured you guys would have pulled some strings and got at least one of them.... lol

Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Tried...no dice...but ours can't be too far from the end

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 12-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #32
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Great thread. I used to drive an 8050 (or was it 8040) back in high school during the summer. I hated that SOB.

Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL View Post
Chris, just remember, you can take a horse to water but you can not make them drink.
.....but 99% of the time, they'll drink on their own.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #33
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Great thread. I used to drive an 8050 (or was it 8040) back in high school during the summer. I hated that SOB.

Carry on.

.....but 99% of the time, they'll drink on their own.
8050...unless it was older, and didn't look like the picture, it might have been a 7040

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #34
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
8050...unless it was older, and didn't look like the picture, it might have been a 7040

Chris
Just like the pic....big ass cab that the air conditioner would never keep up in at 104F in the afternoons. Had to be started with a screwdriver 'cause no one would fix the starting circuit. The rear tire blew out filled with water and it scared me to death. I thought I had died and was watching my innerds splatter all over the 1/4 mile of glass on the cab. It was quit a trip.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #35
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Don't even get me started on the "better " cranks used in the 8070's and 7080's...
Chris
now why dont you like them? counter balanced cranks. it seems that all the pulling tractors that have the 426 use that crank, and even people moding the cummins crank to be counter balanced. and they also have a fluid like damper on them also.

we change all our oil between 60-75 hours. yes it costs more doin that, but in the long run you wont have all this bearing failure. then you wont have to buy a different motor, or rebuild it. but havein over 5000 hours on this 8050 i will prolly spend the money next fall and buy the kit and do it anyway. then maybe have our local speed shop balance the crank, rods and pistons. i will prolly port and polish the head and exhaust manifold also.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #36
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
They break...pullers might start with them, but they aren't stock when they use them

Did you know about the updated crankshafts?

I will agree the viscous damper is a good unit, but it's not a miracle device.

The 426 bottom end is not strong enough for higher power, heavy load use...FACT. Because your 2 tractors are holding up great doesn't mean that there are no problems with the bottom end...it just means you're lucky!

I'm happy your maintenance schedule works for you...good luck. But why, if you're so sure of it, will you rebuild the 8050 if it's in such fine shape at only 5000 hours? You should never have to touch it since you keep it in such good condition, and only a measly 180hp...

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #37
ACFarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
They break...pullers might start with them, but they aren't stock when they use them

Did you know about the updated crankshafts?

I will agree the viscous damper is a good unit, but it's not a miracle device.

The 426 bottom end is not strong enough for higher power, heavy load use...FACT. Because your 2 tractors are holding up great doesn't mean that there are no problems with the bottom end...it just means you're lucky!

I'm happy your maintenance schedule works for you...good luck. But why, if you're so sure of it, will you rebuild the 8050 if it's in such fine shape at only 5000 hours? You should never have to touch it since you keep it in such good condition, and only a measly 180hp...

Chris
ssssshhhhhh His are special tractors.... oh and one of our pulling tractors no longer runs a 426 crank anymore because they arent strong enough... just throwing that out there...

Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #38
ACFarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Just like the pic....big ass cab that the air conditioner would never keep up in at 104F in the afternoons. Had to be started with a screwdriver 'cause no one would fix the starting circuit. The rear tire blew out filled with water and it scared me to death. I thought I had died and was watching my innerds splatter all over the 1/4 mile of glass on the cab. It was quit a trip.
This made me

Old 12-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #39
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFarmer View Post
This made me
I tell ya. I went from having my feet on the bar across the front of the cab watchin the dead furrow in the mirror......to BOOOOM....chest in steering wheel, tractor turning right but plow fighting it, can't see anything due to the water turning the dirt on the windows to mud, then it died cause I couldn't get the clutch pushed in fast enough cause my feet were still on the ledge and my knees were in my chest. It is a shame that timeless piece of footage can't be seen on youtube.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #40
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFarmer View Post
ssssshhhhhh His are special tractors.... oh and one of our pulling tractors no longer runs a 426 crank anymore because they arent strong enough... just throwing that out there...
436 IH??

Quote:
I tell ya. I went from having my feet on the bar across the front of the cab watchin the dead furrow in the mirror......to BOOOOM....chest in steering wheel, tractor turning right but plow fighting it, can't see anything due to the water turning the dirt on the windows to mud, then it died cause I couldn't get the clutch pushed in fast enough cause my feet were still on the ledge and my knees were in my chest. It is a shame that timeless piece of footage can't be seen on youtube.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Closed Thread