47rh to 273

gwhammy

I'm getting old and forgetful, think I've read the electric shift transfer case won't go into low lock if when I put the 47rh in front of it. Is this right?

You would have to wire it to do so. Mine won't in the ford because I don't have the PRNDL indicator sorted yet.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

No, but the controller that shifts the tcase does. I never had a reason to sort out how it actually shifts the tcase, I assume a PWM signal to the solenoid.

As electronically illiterate as I am it might as well get a manual shifter. I'm guessing it will go in and out of fwd high, I can probably live with that for a while, this truck won't be pulling heavy loads unless I have to.

I've seen them, that's probably the way to go. Trucks setting in pieces right now but I have almost everything to put it together.

So im going to be doing something similar in a 360 swap. I dont have a viable way to run a 243 as a manual shift without a ton of fab, a ton a swing joints and a ton of moving parts. So im going to use a electric shift motor. This is my plan for it. I can get a picture from the ford wiring diagram book tonight to show exactly what you need but all you have to do is plug in the ends and run the command wires for the relays to a two way switch. If you want to get fancy, you can splice some diodes in the return ground of the relays and a indicator light.

Simplest way for you would be to find yourself a 4x4 wiring harness from a super duty. Skip the entire computer control systems.

The truck I'm using is a 6.4 auto I'm putting a 12 valve and 47rh in hooking it to the original 273 transfer case. All the wiring is there.

The truck I'm using is a 6.4 auto I'm putting a 12 valve and 47rh in hooking it to the original 273 transfer case. All the wiring is there.

Oh i see. I was thinking you were wanting a 243 in a 2wd dodge or something.
So my knowledge on the 08-10 super dutys is limited. I think ive worked on a total of 2 maybe 3 max in my life. Factory systems read a lot of information just for the 4x4. Vehicle speed from the ABS, transmission and brake switch position from the pcm, confirmation and indication from the cluster which is then all confirmed by the 4wd module but no matter what, all that information crosses through the pcm. So yes, the system will need to see neutral. As long as everything is intact, you should be able to splice the 47rh position wires into the perspective position wires for the stock 5r110. Which could be easier said than done. Ive never seen a 47rh, i dont if the transmission position is internal or external, external would simply the confusion.

47rh is a simple hydraulic valve body shifted trans. Lockup and overdrive are grounded to engage. Basically the same trans for 40 years or so with an overdrive and lockup added.

So Joefarmer and I prototyped (mostly him with my info provided) a board that replaced the PRNDL indicator, and it works, I just haven't made it fit the truck yet, because I am lazy and haven't needed it.
PRNDL - YouTube

The indicator is internal on 5R100W, but it's just a resistor tree fed back to the PCM. You could wire a switch with the single resistor to make the truck go into neutral if that is a solution.

The the final version of my contraption should just be a home brew string potentiometer that clips on the to end of the shift cable at the column.

Back