General consensus on quickest compounds?

Ugly Dodge

Im not sure this belongs here: Is there a general consensus on the quickest spooling compound turbos? (5.9 Cummins) With a complete disregard for horsepower and cost. As I read up my best guess is using a modded Holset with a s300. Turbo/manifold blankets & stainless manifold.

Im doubting compounding is in my future but I feel like the cost keeps on coming down on this operation. There’s lots I don’t understand about turbos. FYI

Seth Farrel had an S2/S3 setup on a 12 valve in a halfton that made boost with the engine off parked into a headwind.

Seth Farrel had an S2/S3 setup on a 12 valve in a halfton that made boost with the engine off parked into a headwind.

ha ha ha this made me laugh. I would love to get a ride in it though.
A guy on here has an S351/S475 ppumped 1st gen (so basically the weight of a 1/2 ton) and that thing is FUN. It has almost no lag at all. Not sure on housing sizes or anything.

an HE351 with 472 would be pretty cheap and spool quick. On my 12v F450 I built a twin setup using a 257SXE 1.22 T4 on the manifold with a 45mm external gate feeding into a box 475/96 1.32 T6. It would spool quicker with a tighter turbine on the 257, but I choose the big housing since my F450 has the stock 4.30 gears and on the highway turns 2500rpm at 70mph. I wanted good exhaust flow characteristics at higher RPMS.

If you've the room, three S362/68sxe (2 into 1) spool early, quick and hard with a stainless manifold, stainless hot-stuff and high Nickle exhaust housings. All ceramic coated inside and out. Good for around 150lb/min wound up.

For a couple of months now I’ve been running an S257 SXE with a .7 gated housing over an S372 SXE with a T4 1.0. I love the setup so far. Spools like lightning and makes nice power.

LOLLOL
Just woke my gf up laughing at this. Bet that was fun truck on the street
an HE351 with 472 would be pretty cheap and spool quick. On my 12v F450 I built a twin setup using a 257SXE 1.22 T4 on the manifold with a 45mm external gate feeding into a box 475/96 1.32 T6. It would spool quicker with a tighter turbine on the 257, but I choose the big housing since my F450 has the stock 4.30 gears and on the highway turns 2500rpm at 70mph. I wanted good exhaust flow characteristics at higher RPMS.

I worked on a truck that had a 351 & 472/83/1.15(i believe)and it spooled very fast. Was a fun truck and towed really well.
If you do some searching on here you can learn all you want about these magic spining witch craft devices and find alot of different compounds setups to help make your decision.

I built a set of compounds for madmikeismad back in the day, it was a he351 over FI low inertia 478 with two stages of water to air intercooling. I think he said he would see 80# of boost around 2,000rpm. I never got to ride in the truck but he loved the setup, right up until one of the rods left the block and took the starter and part of the bellhousing with it IIRC

I built a set of compounds for madmikeismad back in the day, it was a he351 over FI low inertia 478 with two stages of water to air intercooling. I think he said he would see 80# of boost around 2,000rpm. I never got to ride in the truck but he loved the setup, right up until one of the rods left the block and took the starter and part of the bellhousing with it IIRC

I remember that setup. And day.

I ran a he351 over a sxe369 for about a year and a half. Without a doubt, the quickest spooling set of compounds I've ever been around. Absolutely zero lag, seriously felt like driving a turbo gas truck. You definitely put a ceiling on how much power you can make with a small setup like that, but depending on what you're using the truck for, I would highly recommend that setup. It's a very cheap setup too, which is always a plus.

Just for reference, it was in a 2wd regular cab short bed ram 1500 with a manual valvebody 48re so, depending on what you're building, may be comparing apples to oranges.

I've got a 351 over a hx60 on a twelve valve. Lugging in drive or overdrive with convertor locked it will make 40 lbs. of boost at 1400 rpms. Tried a 341, hx35 and hx40 and none seemed to work as good as the 351. Good cheap set.

For a couple of months now I’ve been running an S257 SXE with a .7 gated housing over an S372 SXE with a T4 1.0. I love the setup so far. Spools like lightning and makes nice power.

I’m not familiar with anyone running the s200 turbos. Does running a s200 solo lack boost at higher RPMs?

2nd: Thread question: Does running a turbo with a T4 flange spool faster than the same turbo with a T3 flange? Basically if one were to go with a aftermarket manifold and turbo, would going the T4 route be the smarter move?

I’m not familiar with anyone running the s200 turbos. Does running a s200 solo lack boost at higher RPMs?

I haven’t ran one as a single, but I would guess the 257 SXE would perform similarly to an HE351cw with slightly better hotside flow. Having ran both in compounds, I like the 57 SXE slightly better, but internally gated turbine housing options for it are limited. I ended up using a .7 housing from a Perkins/Cat C6.6 application, (turbo part # 2674A256 or 1070-988-0002), but it took a pile of machining to make it fit.

I ran a he351 over a sxe369 for about a year and a half. Without a doubt, the quickest spooling set of compounds I've ever been around. Absolutely zero lag, seriously felt like driving a turbo gas truck. You definitely put a ceiling on how much power you can make with a small setup like that, but depending on what you're using the truck for, I would highly recommend that setup. It's a very cheap setup too, which is always a plus.

Just for reference, it was in a 2wd regular cab short bed ram 1500 with a manual valvebody 48re so, depending on what you're building, may be comparing apples to oranges.

That sounds fun. More info on the motor? 12v? Fuel? Cam? I'm looking to build a small set for a project. sxe369 was going to be the big turbo due to engine bay limitations. I was planning on a HX35 though. [12v VE motor]

That sounds fun. More info on the motor? 12v? Fuel? Cam? I'm looking to build a small set for a project. sxe369 was going to be the big turbo due to engine bay limitations. I was planning on a HX35 though. [12v VE motor]

24v VP truck. 6x18 injectors, stock cam, edge drag comp/smarty stack

I have a sxe369 (my autocorrect spells sex instead of sxe ??*♂️) I bought new and plan to couple it with a 351 on my 12v VE. Looking for instant boost and to take advantage of the VE power curve.

I have decent fab equipment available to me for the project. Undecided on stainless or carbon steel for piping.
Never built compounds before, looking forward to it.

Back