What size of flange is this HE451 turbo compressor outlet?

Begle1

I'm looking for the "correct" flange to bolt to my turbo compressor output. Currently I have a spread-out exhaust downpipe clamped onto it and it's embarrassing.

The compressor flange measures at 2.9" outer diameter, so the inner diameter is 2.5" or somewhere around there.

It's a Holset HE451 turbo.

Are compressor outlets all OEM specific? Looking through catalogs, I see all these specific Garret and Borg Warner outlet flanges, but no specific Holset outlet flanges.

Attachments

• What Size is This.JPG
    What Size is This.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 0
I got it figured out. The correct size is "Flex Tape".

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_125434236.jpg
    IMG_20200805_125434236.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200805_125448495.jpg
    IMG_20200805_125448495.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 0
Shouldn't a good Cummins/ Holset parts person be able to find a pipe that would fit onto this turbo?

Or would I need to find an application that used the engine and get it from Bluebird Buses or somebody?

Vibrant said that it's not something they have, and I'd be best welding a different flange onto it. I'm pretty flabbergasted that I can find a hundred of these turbos on eBay but nothing that bolts to the turbo.

Last edited:
while i've never seen a HE451 in person, do you think you could fit a HE351VE compressor housing on it? then you could just use factory parts too?

not the best option, but an option.

BJ

I just stuck a tape across the discharge on my HY35 and it has a roughly 2.9" OD, so I'm gonna hazard a guess that any HX/HY35 outlet elbow would work, maybe the 1st gen stuff too?

I can help you. I'm just far from home at this point, I'll get you the info. It'll be a day or two.

Flex tape kicks ass!

I came up with a straight adapter. The adapter has a full marmon flange on one side, and half marmon on the other. In other words. Belled on one side, flat on the other.

I've posted the picture of the flange, gaskets required, and clamps.

I'll PM you the part numbers and prices. Hawaii is no problem to ship to for me, but you might want to try locally for availability.

Last edited:
Compressor outlet dumbass

Yeah, so... my speed reading skills are suck

Do you want a straight, 90 degree or 45?

What size hose are you wanting to connect. The flange end with clamp and oring is no problem, but we may have an issue with the hose side.

Last edited:
I've attached a picture of what I currently have.

I need to come out of the turbo, go over the engine and eventually get turned into a 4" boot.

So I probably want the 45 degree. The straight probably isn't short enough to do what I need it to do.

Attachments

• DSC03375 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03375 - Copy.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 0
Roger that. 45 degree to 4" is the ticket. Just like the one I have pictured. I'll report back.

Last edited:
So it is just a "standard HY35/HX35/S300-style" compressor outlet flange. A stock elbow seems to have fixed my persistent boost leak, although now my exhaust leak has recurred so I won't know if it really fixed things until I fix that.

Also the stock elbow looks even goofier than it did previously. Does anybody know if there's a ~45 degree elbow that I can fit a 3" boot on, or a small straight flange that I can fit a 3" boot on?

I suspect Holset has about a hundred different elbows for different applications but they don't make it easy to browse options...

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_154807063.jpg
    IMG_20200927_154807063.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 0
Back