'81 Rabbit Diesel Truck wont run.... HELP

Bone stock 99

Im new to the whole rabbit diesel thing but I bought this little truck for a steal and the guy told me all it needed was a head gasket. Well it had sat for about 6-8 years and I bought it and put a head gasket in it. I tried to fire it up with the coolant tube off and it wouldnt hit on just fuel so with the glow plugs unplugged I gave it a small hit of starting fluid and it puffed a couple times and I got some smoke out of the blow by tube and the coolant tube out of the driver side of the head. Cylinder 2 wasnt in the best shape cuz of what the coolant did either but I smoothed it up. My guess is either the head is cracked or its not getting fuel from the injectors. Any help?:bang

If it won't run on ether, you have issues methinks, head would be a good place to start since it sounds like a loss of compression somewhere.

it hits on ether but its faint. Its pulling fuel but idk if its getting delivered? Thought the smoke out of the heads coolant passage was a bad sign that lead me to believe the head was cracked. I may just buy a new head from wagenparts.com and a piston kit as well and start from square 1.

I third the Compression test. The idi's start like ass to begin with and bad compression they won't start in the warm weather let alone winter time....also do a new set of glow plugs.. what did you set the timing to? you used the cam and injection pump locks etc when you did the headgasket?..did you put the correct head gasket in it..if you went up a few holes it would be a lot harder to start from compression ratio drop....a little electric lift pump plumbed temporarily into the fuel feed will help bleed the system.. arrange your injector returns so they are in series and pull the last one furthest from injection pump pressure valve and fill the pump and injetors with fuel till it runs out that last open injector return with the injection lines cracked ...crank it till fuel is spitting.. tighten lines and it should go.. if you battery is trashed get a good one and make sure the starter is up to par they need to spin FAST.
Good luck
Thanks,
Deo

I dont have the stuff to do the compression test, we put the right head gasket in it and when we did the head gasket we just marked the injection pump belt since we didnt have the proper tools. This was a back yard fix, im not sure what the timings at either. It cranks over pretty slow, I had to hook my dodge to it with jumper cables and let it sit a while, and maybe cranked it for a total of 2 minutes. I guess I got alot of bugs to work out. Also one of the fuel injector jumpers is cut and leaking fuel. Its the one furthest from the pump.

You sir, have an out of time engine, pick up a Bentley manual for it and go from there, I have all the timing tools needed save the dial indicator and will gladly rent them out. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Back