how much boost will a 6.0 hold up to??

hyper14h

red around the neck
a friend of mine has a 6.0 and is wondering how much boost the bottom end will hold up to he had a guy tell him that 45psi was to most u could run with out chucking a rod is this true? i dont know completly what hes running for tuners i no timing would have a big effect on this also.

a friend of mine has a 6.0 and is wondering how much boost the bottom end will hold up to he had a guy tell him that 45psi was to most u could run with out chucking a rod is this true? i dont know completly what hes running for tuners i no timing would have a big effect on this also.

If you run much over 30 your risking lifting a head......consistantly over 35 and your almost sure to lift a head.........So his rods are the least of his worries.....

Rods dont bend and break due to boost.....They get damaged by cylender pressures. You could actually damage a rod at 25 PSI lets say for the sake of argument if the amount of fuel plus a lot of timing was there..... Its not an exact science and pounds of boost dont tell you when you are in a danger zone.

he has his head studs and o rings thats why hes worried about the bottom end now befor he puts anymore to it and marc thats more or less what i thought but im by far not a 6.0 guy so i didnt no if there were any week links and they were known to blow apart at that or not

Boost the 6.0 and when it blows you've got all the more reason to replace it with a better motor. LOL

If he has o-ring heads he's good for 35+ but i don't know how good they are in a every day driver. I wouldn't worry about the bottom end it will handle it the 6.0 has a forged steel crank

yeah i here ya lreiff ive been trying to talk him into putting a common rail in it or something with a p pump maybe a big window in the side of the block would be more convincing hehehe

If he has o-ring heads he's good for 35+ but i don't know how good they are in a every day driver. I wouldn't worry about the bottom end it will handle it the 6.0 has a forged steel crank

And PMR's...

Generally speaking, you should be good to well over 500 at the wheels on a stock bottom end in a 6.0. The rest of the engine is a different story though...

bottom end will last up to just above 800. i know from experience. bottom ends of these trucks are awesome. oh and i've seen over 100psi on stock gaskets and arp's. no need for any o rings or fire rings

bottom end will last up to just above 800. i know from experience. bottom ends of these trucks are awesome. oh and i've seen over 100psi on stock gaskets and arp's. no need for any o rings or fire rings

I'm gonna assume those were stock installed well bonded gaskets?

If not, that's pretty incredible.

Because I was warned about the stock P/M rods, we installed billet rods to be safe . BUT- everything else was stock including Ford gaskets { does have studs} and we ran 60 # boost for 3 seasons of truck pulling.

Back