4x4 front camber issue

I’ve found a couple threads now where people with dodges have used the bushings. Seems the ones I’m seeing for sale fit ford or dodge. I’m going to give it a shot. Might be hard to find the right one but they gotta be out there.

I seen the ball joints. Something just doesn’t sit right with me on those. Also I would like to have rebuildable high end joints in the future. I really do like this old truck a lot. But it’s testing my damn patience lately.

There’s lots of them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 95363C3F-132E-4207-8B47-00D3CF137F10.jpg
    95363C3F-132E-4207-8B47-00D3CF137F10.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 0
Well, I’m retarded guys haha finally got on an alignment rack today and the camber is perfect or nonexistent. My driveway, tape measure alignment was damn near spot on as well. Left caster as it was, but I got them to set toe to 0°.

We are thinking that because those tires I bought with like 1000 miles on them had some light cupping on the outer edges just progressed and wore the tire out very quickly. Truck tracks straighter than anything I’ve owned now. Going to buy two new tires and see what happens.

I do appreciate the help fellas.

Crazy thing to me is the rolling chassis that I bought (for the axles) had this same significant wear on the outside of the tires. Inner tread nearly brand new and gradually sloped to a completely bald outer edge.

I have a feeling I might be revisiting this thread haha

Every dodge 4x truck I've ever owned does that, if not rotated frequent.

My 3rd gen dually, that's bone stock no level kit, stock sized tires does this also.
I've just learned to live with it.

Dang. How often should I rotate you think? Ain’t nothing fun about ruining a $1200 set of tires in 9000 miles. I realize I didn’t rotate, but shit. Maybe I need to rotate every 3k or so.

Maybe a few degrees of camber would help that haha good bit of work and money to test that theory though.

Here’s the spec sheet they gave me. After more reading last night I think I’m going to order some 0.5° bushings. Don’t really care what spec is at this point. I want my tires to last like they should. Had a couple dozen straight axle rigs from square body Chevys to Jeeps and never wore tires out this quick. I know the truck is nose heavy but seems to me some negative camber could fix this problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
From what I'm reading, for best tire wear you want zero or slightly positive camber. Also, I don't see cross camber on the sheet.

Here's a quote from a person I'd trust on alignments.

You want positive or close to 0 on the camber so when the weight is applied it will stay close to spec. Negative camber is for high speed handling and lots of turning, not really something you do with a truck, so as close to 0 camber as possible is best, keeping the cross camber to a minimum, like 0.1- 0.3.

I just don’t see how positive camber would help. That would definitely destroy the outside treads even quicker. Mine is pretty much zero with the weight of the vehicle on it as you can see. The truck handles phenomenal for a 2g dodge. I’m just more worried about wearing tires out than handling.

I’ve still yet to verify that the slight amount of toe in wasn't the culprit. I’ll swap my like new rears to the front tomorrow and do some testing. For a few weeks and see what happens.

Wanted to follow this up because unfinished threads help no one.

With zero toe, no cross caster and zero camber this thing drives and tracks perfect. The tires have no noticeable wear after several thousand miles now. The outer edges are still nice and square. No cupping, rounding, or scalloping. Thanks for all the help guys.

Put a trailer on it, and let us know how that outer edge looks .

What specs do you prefer? I set my toe inbetween an 1/8-3/16 on my truck and have about 5k on the new tires so far and the wear looks pretty even. If anything the inside of the tire is wore a hair more from me forgetting to air down a couple times after pulling heavy.

All I got is my boat. Around 4000 pounds at most. Don’t think I tow it enough to make a difference.

What specs do you prefer? I set my toe inbetween an 1/8-3/16 on my truck and have about 5k on the new tires so far and the wear looks pretty even. If anything the inside of the tire is wore a hair more from me forgetting to air down a couple times after pulling heavy.

Pretty much 0, thinking the drag from turning the frt axle all the time flexes the steering linkage in pushing down the road.

They all still wear the outer edge of the tires, but I do tow fairly heavy trailers alot.

I put a 2.5" leveling kit on my truck and found that my tires tended to wear a little quicker and the ride was a little worse(felt every bump in the road) once I put the longer control arms on my truck it seemed to fix alot of those issues.

A lot of factory arms on these 25+ year old trucks is gonna be slap worn out too. I know both my chassis were bad enough the bolts would not come out. Bushings were crumbling.

Think I’m about to try the Firepunk front coils. People say they ride way better than cut coils.

Back