Swapping S400 center sections T4 to T6?

SPEEDSHIFT

So I have a FI 485/96/1.10 T4 and a FI476/96/1.32 T6. I want to swap to a T6 manifold on truck and be able to swap chargers quickly on my drag truck by leaving the turbine housing mounted on the manifold.

My question is, can I remove everything out of the S485/96/T4 center section and swap it into a bare T6 center section? Would this create any kind of issues with the balance and will the bearings and seals fit?

TIA

pretty sure the cartridges are the same? jose just machines the t4 exhaust housing to fit the big 96 turbine? I may be incorrect

Yes, the parts from your current turbos will fit into a T6 bearing housing if that is what you are asking. Typically people use the T6 bearing housing and machine T4 exhaust housings to fit the 96mm turbine as mentioned earlier but some do clip the inducer of the 96 turbine to fit through the bearing housing register on the T4 housings as well.

I appreciate it, I am going to attempt to swap everything over. It shouldnt need to be balanced, right? Using all the same parts.

That is a loaded question. Many turbos live without being balanced but they all benefit from a good balance job. I have yet to put a single wheel set on my balancer and not have to correct it to put it within spec.

That is a loaded question. Many turbos live without being balanced but they all benefit from a good balance job. I have yet to put a single wheel set on my balancer and not have to correct it to put it within spec.

I guess I worded that wrong, will disassembling and then reassembling the parts change whatever balancing it has?

I guess I worded that wrong, will disassembling and then reassembling the parts change whatever balancing it has?

Depends. Chances are, no. The thrust collar and flinger play a role in balance too. Try to orient it the best you can and youll likely be fine.

Back