Digital Camera Questions

BigBadDodge

Okay so like a dumb arse I lost my digital camera this weekend up in Tahoe and need to replace it. It was a Sony cyber shot 8.1 mega pixel digital camera.

I don’t really care to buy a digital camcorder but would instead like to have a digital camera that shoots good quality MPEG video. I know the higher the mega pixel the better quality still photo’s, is the same true for video? What do I look for as far as judging the quality of the video a camera will record? Is it still the mega pixel rating? The cyber shots are up to like 12.1 mega pixels now, will this give me better quality video then my past 8.1?

Any recommendations on a good camera that shoots good quality video’s looking to stay under $500.00

Thanks guys

BBD

well let's see if I can help.
whatever the MP of the camera is is for photos only and doesn't tell about video. that should be listed somewhere separately, and will be lower. the max would be full HD, often won't say a MP rating, because video never goes as high as even the cheapest digital cameras as far as resolution goes. I'd just get one that says it does "Full HD" video

MP is technically resolution, rather than "quality", not to be obssessive about word choice, but it's more iportant to understand the difference in video. I have a little flip camcorder that does HD video, which is as high a resolution as you'll need. the video quality is pretty good on it, but any camera that says it films in HD video wont neccesarily look as high quality as a more expensive HD camera.

Is this just for vids of your truck or just gettin simple video clips? pretty much any camera that records video i think should be fine, especially with your $500 budget. full hd video is only 1920x1080 resolution which is less than 2.1 MP.

Enough reading, I guess bottom line I would like to recommend the Canon Powershot SX20. It's a 12.1 MP camera, full HD video, plenty of features, and suggested price from Canon is $400 so I'm sure it can be had for cheaper with some shopping around.
You can probably find a sufficient camera for your needs cheaper, but Canon is a good brand, and whil I haven't used this camera specifically I feel like you would be very happy with it. Might just go to Best Buy and play with some of the cameras there, as long as it says Full HD for video and does 8MP or greater pictures then I wouldn't expect any problems. The more you spend, the better off you'll be, I would just recommend brands like Nikon or Canon because I know they are good.

hope this helps, and wasn't too long. just ask if you got more questions and I'll try and answer them.

well let's see if I can help.
whatever the MP of the camera is is for photos only and doesn't tell about video. that should be listed somewhere separately, and will be lower. the max would be full HD, often won't say a MP rating, because video never goes as high as even the cheapest digital cameras as far as resolution goes. I'd just get one that says it does "Full HD" video

MP is technically resolution, rather than "quality", not to be obssessive about word choice, but it's more iportant to understand the difference in video. I have a little flip camcorder that does HD video, which is as high a resolution as you'll need. the video quality is pretty good on it, but any camera that says it films in HD video wont neccesarily look as high quality as a more expensive HD camera.

Is this just for vids of your truck or just gettin simple video clips? pretty much any camera that records video i think should be fine, especially with your $500 budget. full hd video is only 1920x1080 resolution which is less than 2.1 MP.

Enough reading, I guess bottom line I would like to recommend the Canon Powershot SX20. It's a 12.1 MP camera, full HD video, plenty of features, and suggested price from Canon is $400 so I'm sure it can be had for cheaper with some shopping around.
You can probably find a sufficient camera for your needs cheaper, but Canon is a good brand, and whil I haven't used this camera specifically I feel like you would be very happy with it. Might just go to Best Buy and play with some of the cameras there, as long as it says Full HD for video and does 8MP or greater pictures then I wouldn't expect any problems. The more you spend, the better off you'll be, I would just recommend brands like Nikon or Canon because I know they are good.

hope this helps, and wasn't too long. just ask if you got more questions and I'll try and answer them.

Excellent post thank you very much and just what I was looking for. Looks like the link to Amazon beats my local WalMart and Costco pricing as well. I may have to order it up this weekend :)

Thank you very much guy's

BBD

I like it a lot you can watch my first video here in HD http://www.youtube.com/user/svorhees

I only have one problem, it records the video's in Quicktime which I can't stand, and it won't load them up to my windows movie maker program. How can I convert the quicktime (.mov) video clips to Window Media (.wmv)?

BBD

Thanks, I did a little research on line and I guess I need to purchase and download a converter of some sort.

BBD

Let me know what converter you use and if you like it I just got the same camera so have the same problem with videos other than that like the camera so far.

Back