01 cummins ate the cam sensor

TheSilverBullet

All the correction factor
I have a p pumped 01 cummins. Mods are 188 cam 150 injectors done at 180k when the conversion was done. Truck currently has 257k

On a 5 hour road trip home I was about an hour from home I noticed cruise wouldn't set and looked down I had no tach and low voltage.

I thought no big deal limped it home and got a cummins cam sensor. When I pulled the old one out it look like some one took a grinder to it at about a 10 deg angle. If the sensor was intalled it would be the drivers side where it's the deepest and go to the factory end on the passenger side. If that makes sense? Lol

So I had the vacuum pump off to do this gears look fine no gear noise when the truck is running. So I put the other sensor in.

Now when I started it, the tack was intermittent for about 6 seconds and fell to zero. I shut the truck off.

Pulled the sensor to check and it had no marks on the end of it. So I threw it back in and drove it.

Now the cruise works alt charging but I have no tach. It works internmittent for about 6 seconds and falls to zero every time you start it.

So is there a shim I need to do to this or should I be pulling cover and inspecting things? Like maybe the thrust bearing on the cam?

Like a dumbass I threw the old one away going to dig threw trash see if I can post a picture.

Thanks for help

So the culprit was the tone ring. A piece came out of it and broke the sensor. There's about 1/3 missing so it reads enough to charge and have cruise but not the tach.

I put a snap on scanner on it and watch it idle at 900 then dip down to 250 for a sec then back up.

i have an extra gear with tone wheel on it if you need it. bought as an extra for when i do a cam. don't really need it at this point.

i have an extra gear with tone wheel on it if you need it. bought as an extra for when i do a cam. don't really need it at this point.

Cummins dealer right down the road. I'm going to see what a new one costs.

Curious why this happened?

Back