Machining 22.5s to 22"?

SPEEDSHIFT

I am looking at buying a set of 22.5s for my dually, but want to run a low profile 22" tire on them. Has anyone had a set of 22.5s cut down to a 22? its only 1/4" so I dont think it would be a big deal, I am just trying to find some tips, if anyone has had it done.

TIA, Bodie

I've thought about it because we have a machine shop but I decided not to. The tires would be more expensive and they would have a shorter life than semis. Not trying to convince you otherwise, I love duallys with big rims and low pros. They would look sick on your truck

Yeah, I just want a little smoother ride and a more available tire. The set I am looking at has all brand new tires, so I may run them for a while see how I like it. I also hope it will help my MPG, my G56 is a low geared bastard. LOL

You should be able to machine the steel one just fine. I have seen guys around here on 22s with inside steel wheels. It might be better to buy them already cut down. I am sure any good machine shop should be ever to cut them down just fine.

Pretty sure you have to run 6 aluminum wheels to run the low profile tires. No way you can take 1/2" total off a steel wheel and keep them safe.

be careful with the 6 bodie. i ran 6 freightliner 22.5s a while back and did not have stud protruding out of the nut. ive always liked the milled down look. i just didnt care for the lack of stud lenght on the adapters

My machinist said he would shave all six for $200 on his big lathe, and when I say big I mean 20ft lathe... real big. :evil

We are going to measure the steels, and see how much we have to play with, its only taking off 1/4" of the wheel so it may not be too bad, but we are going to measure and see. I will not run anything unsafe, if I need to I will just buy 2 more aluminum wheels, or rob my dads inners off his haul truck. LOL

be careful with the 6 bodie. i ran 6 freightliner 22.5s a while back and did not have stud protruding out of the nut. ive always liked the milled down look. i just didnt care for the lack of stud lenght on the adapters

A local guy here in town has the set I am looking at, and I went and scoped them out, they have a couple threads past the nuts already, but I may end up installing longer studs anyway because I want to run spiked lug nut covers. :evil

:D:evilYou can run the push on spikes like the ones ive got but they need to have some kinda adhesive to keep them from flying off on the highway. To run the thread on spikes youll need to have longer studs or do what im doing and just have some machined to fit on the thread you have sticking out... and you can make them as big as you want:evil

Back