some pulling questions (how too s)

joelc79

Are most of these tractors auto s or manual trannys. I'm trying to figure out how you build boost on the line. Are you boost braking like an auto or do these build on their own with the clutch in.
Another question is what kind of motors burn alcohol. I was at a ITPA event in Ill the other night and seen a few tractors running alcohol.
The tractors are really interesting and i know nothing about them.
I kinda want one.

most tractor are manuals a most of ur big guys that i have talked to run all international tractor transmissions and rearends dont know about the alachol question i believe they are diesel setups too but not sure

Are most of these tractors auto s or manual trannys. I'm trying to figure out how you build boost on the line. Are you boost braking like an auto or do these build on their own with the clutch in.
Another question is what kind of motors burn alcohol. I was at a ITPA event in Ill the other night and seen a few tractors running alcohol.
The tractors are really interesting and i know nothing about them.
I kinda want one.

That really depends on the class your watching.

(Dont hold me on the class names)

I think Farm Stock and Hot Farm have auto stick transmissions, or power shift, whatever its called. Most of those have torque converters, some have clutches. All the clutch transmission guys run slipper clutches and just slip them until they build boost. On the converter guys I have no idea what they do.

Some of the big boys run 13speeds from big trucks with fabbed rears or whatever rear they choose. Some have custom transmissions. All have 3, 4, and 5 disk clutches.

The alky engines are converted diesels, very wicked engines.

Yes they build boost when the cluch is in. It all depends what class your in. The hot farm have a ta which is like a high and low in there tranny. When you get up to a bigger class like pro stock and super farm etc. they make you run a slipper cluch.

So when these tractors are at the line they are slowly bringing up the rpm s, they have the clutch pushed in... when they want to go they are slowly releasing clutch(slipping) thats when the boost is being built and the coal is starting to roal.
right?

Alcohol
The motors would be a diesel engine injected by alcohol through a injector from a pump and plugs and wires give it spark to help ignite the alcohol?
Flat top piston for compression?

So when these tractors are at the line they are slowly bringing up the rpm s, they have the clutch pushed in... when they want to go they are slowly releasing clutch(slipping) thats when the boost is being built and the coal is starting to roal.
right?

That is correct. As far as Alcohol I am stupid, cause I have a hot farm tractor which is diesel.

Alky tractor engines:

Most have a billet aluminum head made for this. Im assuming some used a LP head of other applications but, most are custom.

Instead of injectors they have spark plugs in their place, these are fired from a magneto that is where an injection pump would be. Some use a distributorless ingnition system.

They have either a hilborn/endrel type fuel injector system or an electronic direct port injection system. (same as a car) That means one (or more) fuel injectors per cylinder in the intake. So they spray fuel in the intake instead of directly in the cylinder.

Aluminum rods, 4 turbos, 10-12" main girdles, and other really trick stuff. 150-300 psi boost, 6000+ hp. NHRA top fuel can kiss my ass, they aint got nothin on these.

Most alkys have 3 chagers, 150 psi would be over the max boost even the top alkys see.
Never seen 10-12" main girdles.

No auto trans in the tractors,Depending on which class and hp level determines which style trans are in them. Stock housing, or a Pro-Fab(etc)

Eric

The girdles have been made, very few. I may be confusing the diesel and alkys on boost. I do know that a guy local with an pro stock alky had a throttle stick open, pegged a 250psi memory gauge.

The girdles have been made, very few. I may be confusing the diesel and alkys on boost. I do know that a guy local with an pro stock alky had a throttle stick open, pegged a 250psi memory gauge.

Pro-Stocks are single chargers, On a diesel approx 130 psi on a single,(Alky single would be 50-70 or so psi)On alky they are not running that kind of boost due to the heat of the charge air would ignite the fuel before its time.

What your freind saw was the spike from detonation, no way a single could make 250+

Eric

Anyways thats pretty badazz! Thanks guys, i never watched the tractors that much before. They really are interesting to understand.

What kinda throttle body is used for controlling the air flow on the alcohol tractors? It's not a blow-through design or is it? Where do I get one?

What kinda throttle body is used for controlling the air flow on the alcohol tractors? It's not a blow-through design or is it? Where do I get one?

Uh oh! what are you thinkin... alcohol S-10?
You going to the Schied event in aug?

Just a regular butterfly throttle plate, Normally bolted on to the intake plenum.

I think the one we used came from Brent Long.

Eric

Back