"Big Stick Cam" Do i need lifter and pushrods?

Light It Up

Ok guys am i gana need new lifters if i run this cam? Also do i need new pushrods? Where can i get this stuff? Thanks

I didn't replace lifters or pushrods when I installed mine. I checked the lifters and they were good. I will do the pushrods someday.

Look under the Hamilton Diesel forums. All vendors have their own forums under "vendor row" on the home page.

Well, I bent a pushrod yesterday (#1 exhaust) on a dyno. I think I overreved. At least nothing blew up. I'll be ordering a set asap.

What about tappets? I have heard you can leave the stock ones in and be just fine, but i have also heard you are crazy if you dont put new ones in?

there under 100.00 for the new stuff. i got my tappets from snedge. look on the home page here. mumau diesel. just me, i would with a new cam.

Love it. 2nd best thing I've ever done to my truck. It's not one of those things that is a huge increase like adding a box on a stock truck. When you first drive it you notice the spool up and response when you mat it and your like cool. Then the more you drive it the more you notice all the little differences. RPM's where you used to have to feather throttle to keep from smoking people out you can now roll in to with no problems. Passing at 70mph is a cinch. The turbo doesn't bog as much as before. It's just a great all around mod.

When I brake down and swap out my cam I am going to replace them. I feel it is better to be safe that sorry. I am sure alot depends on how many miles are on the truck and wiether you want to change the lifter or not.

From what ive been told up graded hd pushrods are a good idea when runing a cam with more lift like the big stick. Ive also been told that puting in new tappets is needed only if the trucks gone past about 60K Maybe its a wear pattern thing where tappet is so used to being on a certain wear pattern and the patterns different on the "new" cam so it could cause problems if they dont get changed?

Hey guys, it is not 100% necessary to change the tappets on 24v's and CR's unless you have obvious wear. At least clean and inspect them. And yes for what little they cost it is good insurance. Also very important, for at least break in, is the cam lube.

On 12v models due to the wider lobes we have on our core, we suggest the wider 98-02 tappets to maximize the use of all of that extra surface area, as well as promote better tappet rotation. I have seen people ignore this and they have not reported any problems, but I would change them just the same.

As far as pushrods, people say they are needed when using a performance cam, this is false. People say that they are needed with the slightly higher spring pressures we are running. This is false . They become necessary as horsepower and/or rpms increase. The higher cylinder pressures needed for high horsepower really make the exhaust pushrods bend, compress and deflect. Double, triple, or more the horsepower, on top of that, add rpm and they are definately needed. If you are under 500hp even if you have a performance cam or springs, they are not 100% necessary unless you are just preparing for future plans. If you are running a high lift cam with a small base circle they will be beneficial if you order them a bit longer. This will make sure you don't use up all of your adjuster on the rocker arm and keep your rocker geometry correct.

Sorry for the long winded answer, it is a technical question so it is not that easy to answer.

Back