6.5 Dropped a valve, I think...

ben99

I have a coustomers truck that the chevy dealer said needed a new injection pump, I was putting the injection pump on and couldn't get the motor to turn over to get the pump out, I figured it was hydrolocked so I pulled all the glowplugs out, 6 of the 8 were broke off and now i can turn the motor over but it will just barley move back and forth, you cant get a full revolution out of it. I think it dropped a valve into the cylinder? does that sound right to you guys? I'm not gonna take the time to fish all the glow plug tips out of with a magnet if it needs new heads anyways...

Was it running when you got it in? My guess is when you pulled the glow plugs you broke the tips off and that is what is stopping the engine from turning over.

Nope wasn't running when the guy bought the truck, I didn't break the tips, but I think the dealer might have. All of them were broke except the two back ones on the passenger side, and I didn't have to "break" any of them loose to get them out so I think the dealer already had them out...

So you got the problem handed off to you. Dont you just love chit like that. The only way to know for sure it to pull the heads off.

Actually I hate it! lol yeah that is going to be my next step... not looking forward to it.

It could have also snaped the crank. Remeber the 6.5s have a weak crank and I have seen lots of them break. Pull the inspection pan off the trans and have someone see if the flexplate is moving when you try to bar the engine over.

I have seen more of the crack the main webs than I have with a broken crank.

Good luck with getting the heads off. Look on the bright side Its not a van LOL

i had tha same problem with my 93.... it did drop a valve... but that valve also shattered a piston... so i got a dodge... still got the old chevy though.... bout to drop a 12v in it

Digging way back now, but those 6.5's sure are great engines arent they?:bang But being a college student 4 years back and really wanting a diesel and not have the $20k+ for a duramax at the time and being deadset on a Chevy and a Diesel your options sure are limited, most expensive ride I've ever owned. Wouldnt know if it would get me to school or work in the morning, wouldnt know if it'd get me home at night...No power, electrical problems like nobody's business, cracked exhaust valves that would take out pistons. :hehe: Oh the memories. At least I got a bad ass body style truck out of the deal and a great canidate for a cummins swap

Back