Timbrens vs. Load Assist Air Bags.

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
I need to add something to my 2007 F-350 (front and rear most likely), what are the pros and cons of each?

My local trailer place is pretty big on the Timbrens, but I don't know anyone with first hand experience.
From what I found online they are rated at 8600#...I can get them for ~$180.00

I have friends with Air Lift and Firestone Load Assist 5000# rating...I can get for $225 + whatever air system if I get one.

Which one is the better option and why?

Airbags! Because you can adjust them!!!!!!! Just do the basic kit and install the fill in the rear bumper. Run 10psi empty and crank them up before you load the truck down. I run 100 in mine with the trailer on, and drain the air out to 10 if I'm bobtailing for a few days.

I have no experience with the timbrens other then removing 2 sets for buddies who hated them and replaced them with airbags.. :)

Sorry about not calling you back Dan, I forgot you called till I saw this post

Last edited:
Sapps,

That's what I was thinking about the bags.

Main reason I was thinking about onboard air.....sometimes I'll tow 11k in the morning to the jobsite, drive around with an empty trailer (3k) and then tow 11k again in the evening to haul my equipment back to the shop.
Figured it would be too stiff once I had the trailer empty or sometimes I drop the trailer at the job and run around in just the truck.

I want them in the front for the 800-950# snow plow that will be getting put on.

Talked with Wulff since you mentioned he had bags on his Dodge.....he seemed really happy with them.

I have had the Timbren Load boosters and they do work! but I did a little modding to make them work even better I took a set that was biger 2 size bigger and put them on my pick up.It road terrible but I could park a tractor in the nose of the g neck and the truck didn't finch and road nice then. It helped me "Look" legal when way over weight since the rear of the truck NEVER saged....lol

If conserned about ride I would say air bags.
Good Luck

IKE

I have the firestone ride rite bags and love them. This is my second set. First set were on my Dmax and it worked great. Now I have a set on my Ford and love it. I tow with alot of tongue weight. I also have an onboard air system with controls in the cab. Easiest way to adjust them.

My Air Lift load assist bags came in on Friday :rockwoot:

Now I just need to see if I can fit my 9 gallon tank and big comp. under the truck somewhere. If not, I'll have to order up some smaller stuff.

I run both. I may have no load on my GN then load it up to 5-6K tongue weight 2-3 times a day. It is nice not having to change pressures in the bags. I would keep the airbags at 20psi and let timbrens do the rest. I don't have onboard air so it was a PITA to change it during the day.

I had a 5000lb camper and the airbags with 100psi still couldn't level the truck perfect also it would rock quite a bit. With the addition of timbrens, it was perfect and no rocking.

Rick

i have put a set of timbrens int he rear of my truck and i haven't even towed since i installed them but if you mod them to sit on the axle full time it rides a little rougher over bumpy roads but i have gotten used to it now. i can jump on my bumper and it doesn't move much at all.

no experience with timbrens, never heard of them until this thread but... I have LOADS experience with the air assist and it's very nice. with a nice small load, you can throw 30lbs in and be good, nice and smooth but then throw on the 25k pound gooseneck, 80lbs in the bags and give 'er hell. with 5 or 10 lbs in there unloaded, it's not really noticeable.

good luck with the air setup, should work good for you.

Not looking good for fitting the 9 gallon tank, looks like it's gonna be too big. Need some more time to measure everything and make sure....I was in a hurry last time I did it.

I do happen to have an extra set of air horns that are gonna go on it too :D

do what i did, go for 2 smaller 4 gallon tanks. this works really well and really helps out with installation. I needs me some big bad nasty air horns!!!

Where did you mount the 2?

I need more time under the truck to measure, but I was thinking about running one on the outside of the passenger side frame rail back of the cab/front of the bed area.

I do have some big nasty train horns (Nathan K3LAs)......I suppose I may actually install them at some point on one of the trucks.
I have a cheaper set that I was thinking about putting on the 07.

Had some time to get my 9 gallon tank out and try and stuff it under the truck.....looks like it will just barely fit on the outside of the frame rail between the rear leaf pack and the body mount.

Already cleaned it up and removed my reg, filter and ARB solenoids from it so that it's ready to go when I get a chance to install it. Hopefully within the next week or two I can install the bags, the air system, air horns and lower the rear (finally ordered my u-bolts on Thursday so I picked them up today).

Back