Breaking in a Turbo

Fire Rescue1401

Ok i trying to find out the correct way to break my turbo in should have it on the truck with in a few weeks. will be getting the 64/74/14 if that makes any difference in how the breaking goes. i'm sure that alot of people have their own thoughts on how to do it but would like to hear the way yall say i should break it in seeing that i'm getting the turbo from yall. Thanks Chris for all you help over the phone...

Thanks,
Eric Schubert

add some oil into the oil inlet before you hook the oil hose up, start truck, and I let mine idel arround 1500 rpm for about 10 min.

I usually start the truck let it idle for 10 min get out and stare at the turbo for a few mins and touch it a couple times. Than get back in the truck idle it up in 500 rpm sequences get out stare at it and touch it a little more. This takes a long time because I give each turbo the same amount of staring and touches.

Bolt it on, start truck , hammer on it.
That's what I do. LOL
^This is how I do it!
add some oil into the oil inlet before you hook the oil hose up.....
^This must also be done!

The last turbo that I left warm up before romping on it failed within 10,000 miles...ever since it's fire the engine and head up the road for a test drive, soon as the engine reaches operating temp I'll see what she got! What other reason is there for installing a bigger turbo? :hehe:

Posted this in your other thread... Seems to be about the consensus. ;)

Make sure you run some oil through it before you connect your feed line.

When you first start the truck, let it idle for a minute or two.

Then opinions go in two directions.. Some say go easy for a few thousand miles, some say build a little boost a few times to make sure everything is fine and then have at it.

I personally do something inbetween. I go really easy on it for a while, and make sure you NEVER snap out of the throttle if possible.. Easy out so you don't bark the turbo.

i usually let mine idle for a little while, check for oil leaks and whatnot.. then cruise it around for a couple hundred miles, then i see what itll do!

No matter how you decide to run it after install, ALWAYS leave the egts cool to 350*F or less (preturbo) before shutting the engine down, this is the most important step to ensuring a long and happy turbo life!

yeah ill run the oil before hooking the lines up then start it and let it run for a little while. i think i'm going to be somewhat easy for a few hundred miles and then see what she's got. i will talk to Chris and find out what he thinks is the best and do that see that its his turbo.....

No matter how you decide to run it after install, ALWAYS leave the egts cool to 350*F or less (preturbo) before shutting the engine down, this is the most important step to ensuring a long and happy turbo life!

I've used 400* my whole life and never had an issue

I usually start the truck let it idle for 10 min get out and stare at the turbo for a few mins and touch it a couple times. Than get back in the truck idle it up in 500 rpm sequences get out stare at it and touch it a little more. This takes a long time because I give each turbo the same amount of staring and touches.

I love to stare and touch.
I actually have a pre break in ritual, where I leave the turbo on the work bench for maybe two or three hours without looking at it, or touching it. Then.... when it's good and lonely, I start the pre install caressing.

Back