What sealant to use on sump

Wondering what type of rtv you guys recommend to seal up your sumps when the supplied gasket leaks a little? I've looked up different permatex types, and black and grey seem like the right ticket, id just like a second opinion.

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome. Did the surface have to be completely dry of diesel? Or is a little diesel "moisture" ok? Just asking because it seemed like every time a draft came through more would come pouring out, it was impossible to keep completely dry.

Also, im just gonna load it up with sealant, so should I still keep the supplied gasket/seal in there or just ditch it?

Clean is best, clean sump real good then get track as clean as possible. It has no tack time, stick and go.

Right stuff? Where can that be found? Who makes it?

So it sounds like anything can be used LOL. Rtv really is the wonder sealant.

Permatex makes Right stuff. It works, It is on my front cover, oil pan, fuel sump and intake.

i was wrong carry on...

I like to use Cummins Grey RTV...

Wrong on what?

Clean is best, clean sump real good then get track as clean as possible. It has no tack time, stick and go.

No tack time is what I like to hear! That will make it a lot easier.

Permatex makes Right stuff. It works, It is on my front cover, oil pan, fuel sump and intake.

Yup, already found out from my friend at napa. he's having some sent to the shop in the morning!

liquid nail that SOB! :lolly:

I've hard of that before, but never used or even seen it LOL

With our newer sumps that have the buna gaskets I recommend not using any silicone at all, it makes the gasket slippery and squeezes it out. Some of the first sumps we did it had a paper composite style gasket and those like to be siliconed. Make sure and get it around the studs because thats the main source of any leaks.

With our newer sumps that have the buna gaskets I recommend not using any silicone at all, it makes the gasket slippery and squeezes it out. Some of the first sumps we did it had a paper composite style gasket and those like to be siliconed. Make sure and get it around the studs because thats the main source of any leaks.

Yeah the studs is where it's leaking. I noticed with the supplied gasket that as I tightened up the studs, it was squeezing the gasket out the side lol.

So do you think I should just toss the supplied gasket and use the sealant, or still use it with the sealant? Or just try it out and see how it works?

Sounds like it was a buna gasket with silicone, it will squeeze right out. At this point it would probaly seal better with no gasket and just use silicone. Right Stuff works dang good.

Sounds like it was a buna gasket with silicone, it will squeeze right out. At this point it would probaly seal better with no gasket and just use silicone. Right Stuff works dang good.

Roger, that, I'm going to really lay it in there around the studs, and a good bead between them, and go from there.

Thanks.

Back