Primary over 2ndary pics

Thinking of putting a 3rd gen downward facing manifold on the truck to offset the secondaryary towards the rear and down. Hang secondary on backwards (if we have the room) and then hang the bigboy up and slightly forward.

commonrail_03731392836_std.jpg

Third gen manifolds sure don't leave a ton of room to fit the downpipe. Tried to use one on my old truck and I ended up buying a 2nd gen manifold. Then again if this is going on the little red truck you may have more room than I did.

Thinking of putting a 3rd gen downward facing manifold on the truck to offset the secondaryary towards the rear and down. Hang secondary on backwards (if we have the room) and then hang the bigboy up and slightly forward.

That would help clearance issues around cage and hood for sure.

Last edited:
It looks like a Stainless manifold with a wastegate port. But hard to see on my phone.

Correct. I just plugged the NPT tapped ports and milled out a hole for the wastegate.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1841-001.jpg
    IMG_1841-001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010144.jpg
    P1010144.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010149.jpg
    P1010149.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Correct. I just plugged the NPT tapped ports and milled out a hole for the wastegate.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks great, only downside I see to doing it that way though is you end up with turbulence since the 90 isn't divided like the manifold. Personally I would have cut the 90 down the middle with a bandsaw, welded in a divider and then welded the halves back together. A little more work, and likely isn't hurting anything, but that way it still works the way it was intended.

Figured out last night the best situation for what I am wanting to do would be a custom manifold....... 3rd gen with turbo pedestal at the front instead of back. This would put secondary at the front of the truck facing normal and primary behind it backwards. Steed could do it put I don't have the time it seems....... Would make for a super short hot pipe and a clean install. I have less space in front and more in back. Turbos would fit allot better this way.

Looks great, only downside I see to doing it that way though is you end up with turbulence since the 90 isn't divided like the manifold. Personally I would have cut the 90 down the middle with a bandsaw, welded in a divider and then welded the halves back together. A little more work, and likely isn't hurting anything, but that way it still works the way it was intended.

The way what was intended?

There is no reason to divide the elbow. Maybe the little stand pipe before the elbow. The gate isn't divided so there will always be commingling of gas between the front an back. Open or closed.

Either way, it's good enough to run an 11.2 on its first pass with virtually no tuning. Good enough is good enough some times. :)

The way what was intended?

There is no reason to divide the elbow. Maybe the little stand pipe before the elbow. The gate isn't divided so there will always be commingling of gas between the front an back. Open or closed.

Either way, it's good enough to run an 11.2 on its first pass with virtually no tuning. Good enough is good enough some times. :)

You're right the gate is not divided, however if built correctly the divider will butt up to the valve so that it is sealed when the gate is closed.

As I said before though, for what you're doing and for most people it's perfectly fine and not going to make a huge difference most of the time. But look at it this way, while it's not at the same extreme, due to the turbulence and pulse mixing in that 90 you go from running a divided turbine housing where the pulses are alternating as intended, to now taking the divider out of your manifold and essentially running an undivided housing.

Also, when the gate opens it doesn't matter that it's undivided because the exhaust being expelled is going out the gate and being pushed out by the exhaust behind it, it doesn't mix in the gate and go back in the manifold.

I assure you there are more reasons to weld in a divider than not to when looking to be as efficient as possible.

To make this thread a bit more purposeful here are the pics I have gathered.

IMG_20152.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG955424.jpg

4AD86640-544E-420B-B905-92F4E63831F6-2452-000002613BEDA10A.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

100_0703.jpg

100_0701.jpg

What I am working with. Cage is the limiting factor doing a big over small charger.

20130405_094539.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

Max, you've seen how my triples are mounted and i still have room for the roll bar from the cage to under the mount and still tie into my coil over shock mount too..

Max, you've seen how my triples are mounted and i still have room for the roll bar from the cage to under the mount and still tie into my coil over shock mount too..

From what I can tell only a secondary over primary or secondary in front of engine bay with primary at the back will work fairly easily. Placing the big 591 is the challenge with roll bar.

A front and back config would work best with my straight manifold. I really need a 45 degree up or down manifold to do the other configs easily.

Last edited:
You're right the gate is not divided, however if built correctly the divider will butt up to the valve so that it is sealed when the gate is closed.

As I said before though, for what you're doing and for most people it's perfectly fine and not going to make a huge difference most of the time. But look at it this way, while it's not at the same extreme, due to the turbulence and pulse mixing in that 90 you go from running a divided turbine housing where the pulses are alternating as intended, to now taking the divider out of your manifold and essentially running an undivided housing.

Also, when the gate opens it doesn't matter that it's undivided because the exhaust being expelled is going out the gate and being pushed out by the exhaust behind it, it doesn't mix in the gate and go back in the manifold.

I assure you there are more reasons to weld in a divider than not to when looking to be as efficient as possible.

I see what you are saying, its something I considered, but didn't think it would be worth the effort. (That thought process is rarely helpful in the long run) I appreciate doing things as best as possible. If I don't completely re-build the entire kit this winter, I will put a divider in there. Cant hurt!

Another pic or two for the op.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1180482.jpg
    P1180482.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
Back