01 Duramax coding / cutting out when towing

snowbound

Same problem every year. We take dad's truck , 5th wheel and boat north. The truck has a Flashpaq set on tow , exhaust and a K+N filter kit. The tranny temp is cool , engine temp is fine , but when pulling a hill at 60mph , engine reving at 1900rpm , I lose power. Rpm's are still there , but no throttle responce at all. Even shifting gears makes no difference. After about 30-45 secs , things re-engage and we're off. Trailer is only 24ft and boat 17.5ft. I did get a code twice - PO234 - engine overboost condition ? Truck has 130k. Please point me in the right direction , or any direction for that matter !

Same problem every year. We take dad's truck , 5th wheel and boat north. The truck has a Flashpaq set on tow , exhaust and a K+N filter kit. The tranny temp is cool , engine temp is fine , but when pulling a hill at 60mph , engine reving at 1900rpm , I lose power. Rpm's are still there , but no throttle responce at all. Even shifting gears makes no difference. After about 30-45 secs , things re-engage and we're off. Trailer is only 24ft and boat 17.5ft. I did get a code twice - PO234 - engine overboost condition ? Truck has 130k. Please point me in the right direction , or any direction for that matter !

Does it do it with the stock programing instead of the Flashpaq?
Any gages on the truck?

If I had to guess the low rent flashpaq is fueling enough that it makes more boost than stock. Which is no big deal other than it probably does not adjust the airflow and boost tables like it should have. Which is what trips the code.

No gauges. It did it with the previous Superchip as well , and I think it did it without it installed , but can't remember. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can be sure , the truck is 300 miles away.

No gauges. It did it with the previous Superchip as well , and I think it did it without it installed , but can't remember. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can be sure , the truck is 300 miles away.
If it does it stock I would check the wastegate out. Also check the line going to it they can crack.

If you have a friend with EFI live or a tech 2, you can change the parameters of when the ECM will go into engine protection mode. Just make sure that your wastegate and everything are ok. It will hold the same RPM in this mode because you have no actual throttle linkage, and the ECM will defuel before you can go higher than that so that it can protect the engine.

Back