NV271 input shaft swaping

roachie

Taco Master
This is for a conversion on a ford. The truck is an 04 and had a 5R110(?) with an electric shift NV273 case.

I'm installing a NV5600 and have to change the input on the case to match the NV's output. I counted 29 splines on the output.

I'm finding both 29 and 31 spline inputs for the 271 and 273, not sure why or if they are the same part. But the same spline count for both cases lists differing part numbers.

Also read online that the bearing diameter of the Ford vs. Dodge is different, the cases clock different, and attach differently.

Any help?

Here is where I'm looking:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transfer_case_replacements_and_parts/np273.html

i can see them changing the clocking of the case, but i dont think they would change dimensions, internals, and bearings... but then again, we are dealing with ford...

I do know:
23 spine is dodge automatic
29 spline is nv-4500 and nv-5600 (not sure about G56)
31 spline is ford 4-speed automatic and 5-speed manual
34 spline is ZF-6 speed and 5R110

I know that the dodge has studs on the tcase, ford does not.

A local shop used a complete front cover from a dodge 273 on the ford Transfer case. The result worked but the pattern was different (reversed, 2hi was 4 low)

well i think that you need to go junkyard picking and find a 271 to take apart.. or just buy a new t-case input and see if it fits.. :D

I think I'm just going to take both apart and measure the bearing diameters.

Why can I not find a 29 spline input?

you have to call them about it i know they have them it is what i ordered and swapped into mine to run the fat output shaft.

I got one from drivetrain.com and installed it yesterday.

No different bearings or seals, its a direct replacement.

Good to hear.
I am not sure what my t-case came out of but it there was a slight difference in the sealing area of the input. It was a 31 spline ford.

Back