Ats 4r100 500 hp?

moprr71

I have a 05 superduty with a p-pump 12 valve and smoked the tranny within 2k miles of the conversion. I bought a ats tranny kit and took it to my tranny guy and he said that the only thing different is there is an extra clutch and steel in the foreword drum. The people I bought the kit from said that it would hold up to close to 500 hp. The truck pulls about 15k pounds on a daily basis and about 30k a couple times a month. I need this tranny to hold up so my question is should I put red clutches and or koleen steels in the foreword drum while it's apart? I bought a ats 1650 stall converter and also a transgo tugger kit. I'm pushing around 250 hp.

First I hope you really have a 4R100 and not the origional 05 trans which is a 5R110 and is not the same components as a 4R100. My 4R100 only has a Factory Tech valve body and a Suncoast tripple Disk and has lived all of its life over 500-800hp and I pull in competition with it and no issues with 37's

Hey tim this is Cory. Im going to go with the red clutches if their available. I'm might be pushing about 300 hp when I'm finished. It's funny how the 5r110 pulled the same loads behind the 6.0 for 130k miles and the 4r only lasted 2k. I guess the ford tranny wasn't originally built for the low end torque of the cummins.

the 5r would of held up anyday....4rs toast behind stock 7.3s so I'm not suprised. If you want a garanteed 4r call BTS or John Wood, hands down your best options.

The tranny is done and about to be installed this week. So far Im this much into it
$1250 ATS tc
$575 ATS rebuild kit
$165 transgo tugger
$216 red clutches koleen steels and misc
$500 labor
$125 shipping
$2831 total
I guess it cheaper than a BTS but there isn't any warranty so I'll cross my fingers. If this tranny doesn't last I'll be looking for a nv 5600

All has been well so far but I cant soften up the tcc lockup. It appears that I have a non PWM solenoid and I need to find out exactly what I need. Will any 4r100 solenoid work or is there a certain one that should be used? Will the wiring plug/harness be the same? Thanks in advance.

I ended up installing a PWM solenoid pack and the TC still locks up really aggressive. Now it appears that there is another valve in the pump that I need to replace to make the lock up solenoid work correctly. I guess I'll pull the tranny one more time.

Cory,
I just sent you a file for the trans breakdown. There is a conversion kit for the PWM in the pump section page 8.

Well it seems that the forward drum clutches might have gone out again. He was hauling 14 round bales in a field and it started jerking. It probably was the pcs locking the converter when the temp gets hot. After it cooled down it wont move anymore. Now he wants to convert the truck to a standard tranny. What would be the easiest cheapest strongest conversion for me? 4500, 5600 g56? I'll probably rebuild the 4r100 and sell the tranny,Converter, pcs, billett flywheel, adapter, and tcase if anyone might be interested. I'll be starting this project in about 3 or 4 weeks.

If it were me id go with a nv4500..ause. with his track record of shelling tranys id want a stout one that's cheap to replace.

What are the thoughts on the g56? I found one with tcase for $800. What all would I need to convert
a6934f26-f7ad-07e0.jpg
a6934f26-f7cd-f6ff.jpg

Back