Building traction bars.. Cat 1 or Stainless Heims

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Well I think I'm going to make my own traction bars. I had planned on buying some prefabbed, but I can make them for less. It will take longer, but I'll save some money.

I guess my question is: Are Cat 1 Toplinks that bad to use?

I can spend 50 bucks on top links or I can spend 280 on RuffStuff's stainless heim kit. I know quality wise the latter will be much better, but we are also talking about over 5 times the cost.

If any of you have had bad experiences with the Cat 1's please let me know. Are they prone to wearing out fast and do they have a sloppy fit?

I went kind of over kill on the joint.
I beveled the ends of the tube/joint.
Found pipe that fit tight inside to use as a slug.
Plugs welds in each side and a continuous groove weld for the main joint.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368202189.305594.jpg

All depends on the quality your looking for.....

Well I dont want to spend the time to make pure junk, but I know Cat 1s are what a lot of people use so I was trying get some pro and cons on using them from guys who run/ran them.

I built a set out of cat 1s. i liked them but they were kinda noisy.

Noisy? So I take it the holes in the heims didnt fit the bolts correctly or what?

I see.. Well I've got another traction bar idea that I saw on Pirate4x4 that I'll post a picture of this evening. I'm at work and of course it blocks Pirate4x4...

i'd go longer, and the thread locking tabs. pitch them and get real nuts. the reverse threaded ones are kinda pricey but essential.

The brackets i had cut from a water jet machine. I told him i needed to have the pin slide in and out with ease. They just barely fit in there

I know many do it, but IMO I would never put cat 1s on my truck. To each their own though. Just my $0.02.

Back