Construction air compressors

jesnic7

I am at my wits end with the garbage compressors that the big box stores sell. I have gone through 4 air compressors in the 8 months. All of them advertising as being compatible with framing nailers and constant use. I have burnt up 1 Ridgid, 2 Dewalts, and 1 Makita. All having twin stacks, oil lubricated pumps, 4-6 gallon capacity. I have a gas compressor that has lasted for over 10 years, but is very bulky (about 300 lbs) and I only use it to frame pretty large jobs. What is with these electric crap compressors that can't run 2 nail guns without constantly running all the time and burning up? We have to wait for the air to build and store in the tanks and the compressor can't keep up with throwing nails as fast as we shoot them. Anyone have a suggestion on a quality, portable, electric compressor that can actually keep of with the demand of fast moving guys with guns?

I have a few friends I've known for yrs that have framing crews, they all run gas compressors. Trim work they run electric.

You need to get a 220v compressor. If it doesn't flow at least ~12 CFM @90 PSI it won't keep up with 2 framers. I just got a massive Rolair comp. It's got a 5 hp 220v motor and puts out 17.9 CFM. I have yet to run that thing low on air, but it is pretty bulky and weighs 310 lbs. It just stays in the back of my truck and we run a big hose out and split of with small ones from there.

I don't think anyone makes a small 110 compressor that would keep up. You can get wheelbarrow 220v that are about the same size as a standard gas one. And if I remember right most of the 110v compressors won't even keep up with one good guy running a framing gun

I'm still looking. I have a gas twin hot dog. It works great. Just looking for a 110 electric that is capable of keeping up with a couple guns. 220 volt is not really an option. Most of the time we only have 110 v power to work with or I bring the gas hot dog. Decks, additions, rehabs where we have complete access to entire home, the gas comp is the ticket. But, portable electric is much easier for framing out basements or second floor work in remodeling where they live in the home and have pets or we can't leave windows and doors open while we work.

For interior framing basements and stuff a 5 gallon makita can keep up not too bad. I have a princess auto sanborn 30 gallon oiless. It would keep up but it don't like extension cords. That's what's your gonna run into. If a wall plug is available this 30 gallon is only about 80lbs and works great. Was $450 cad. We have a twin tank 5 gallon makita that can keep up to me shingling. Isn't too bad cuz usuallybhave 2 people laying an moving shingles so it's being used constantly.

From my experience on a framing crew back in 2002ish you are going to want a compressor per guy if you have good guys that sling nails fast. Guy I worked for only ran Emglo, he paid up for them and they never let us down. Oil changes once a month for every compressor and one compressor per guy. I could still get it down on air when doing flooring or roofing, but for the most part it could keep up.

There's a few wheelbarrow type twin tank 110v compressors.

A good one will supply 3ish guns.

Belt driven pump.

There's a few wheelbarrow type twin tank 110v compressors.

A good one will supply 3ish guns.

Belt driven pump.

What brand? I've never seen even 10cfm from a 110v compressor. It would be nice to have a good 110 for the jobs that don't have 220 power.

I bought a big Makita today. MAC5200. 3hp, 5.2 gallon tank, 6.5 cfm at 90psi. Going to give it a shot over the next few days and install 3000 sq ft of hardwoods running 2 or 3 floor nailers.

What brand? I've never seen even 10cfm from a 110v compressor. It would be nice to have a good 110 for the jobs that don't have 220 power.
We had a Rol-Air and I think an Emglo.

I don't remember the CFM, but they could each feed 3 guns, of guys that were fast.

New construction framing, there was no 220v. Maybe try a lumber yard?

i bet no jobs have 110 or 220 power. i bet they have 120 or 240 though...:bang

daggone carpitricians...

Back