Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling > 2WD Pullers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
JERONIMO

Name: JERONIMO
Title: i use to pull tractors
Member`s Gallery
tilt body

I want to tilt my body like you two wheel drive guys do but not sure how to go about bracing up the cab. Its all steel and pretty much gutted now. I seen the pics of lubeowners and watched the video and that's nice but I need the drivers compartment to stay on the chassis. I guess the hang up is the steel cab as this would be simple with fiber glass. Any pics of frame work? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thankss

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
kino_fab

Name: kino_fab
Title: KTPA Tech Official
Member`s Gallery
Just cut the floor pan out completely but first build an in cab frame that will support the shape and weight of the cab. Just replace the factory floor pan with a steel frame and cover it with some aluminum sheet metal.

Tech Official for:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
JERONIMO

Member`s Gallery
Im gonna post some pics this weekend. I think I got it figured out

Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
RyanB

Name: RyanB
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Just curious to why you want a tilt body? I can see on a total glass truck like Dales that it makes sense because you need to make a subframe for it anyway and doesn't have to be heavy weight or all that strong but on a steel body, even when gutted as far as you can go...its still heavy and you need a major subframe to make it work and not flex when being tilted. Once you add the hydrolics to it, all the tubing for the sub frame and then aluminum floor pan if you want...you are back up over the weight of the original cab. I went thru all this 10 years ago with a Super Stock 4x4 I was building and almost broke both my arms when it came crashing down after a bracket broke do to some bounce from the cylinder.

On our new tube framed mod truck we are building (steel body) we have decieded to gut the cab as much as we can, we are running only fender skins and box skins, doors are gutted and a stock cowl hood and we are not going tilt body but just made a very very simple and very light subframe to hold the body in place. By going this route I estimate that we saved over 200lbs and is alot safer. We are running without a floor so its super easy to change gears in the drop box as access is super easy. We can also work under the hood very easily as we got rid of the rad support and could crawl in and have a nap in there if we wanted!

Just a thought...Tilt body is deffinatly cool, but not always the best solution.

Ryan

Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
JERONIMO

Member`s Gallery
I'm dealing with a lot of rust on this cab the floor is not even attached to the inner rockers in the rear half so the floor I ditched. The b pillar and center cab mount had a mouse nest built inside of it so it "was" rotted off flush with the floor. The front half of the cab is perfect other than a small hole in the windshield frame on the passenger side. When I got the pristine carpet out of it I discover why the back half sucked. Its been welded to a 1975 model! The front was 1991 so I looked at the title.... yep its titled as a 75 model. I figured 83-87 but I was fooled. Late dash, steering wheel, 454 with Carb swap, perfect bed other than the dent in the gate. Hmm. Dang I derailed my own thread. What was the question again? I just figured someone liked that grill and headlight arangment but no its the real deal inbread with a 75 model.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
JERONIMO

Member`s Gallery
Back on track here I figured it would be cool and easy to do since I had to remove and cut most over it away anyways.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
I will snap a few pics of ours if I have time today and show you how far gutted it is and how easy it still is to get at things!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
JERONIMO

Member`s Gallery
OK thanks Ryan. I'm still intact from the b pillar forward so I'm not to far gone yet.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Here is one pic of our cab back in the winter before we started mounting it of course. As you can see, the firewall, floor and rear cab panel is totally removed. What your seeing on the back of the cab is the vertical skin of the box.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
JERONIMO

Member`s Gallery
Oh my. I wish I could figure out how to put pics on here. I tried the other night even after resize them it still wouldn't let me or I'd post some picks
Ill try again after while when I get home from work. Thanks for the pic and time to help.I had all but stopped because the "creative juices"had stopped and I was drawing blanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
setup and account on Photobucket.com Upload the pictures to that side and then you just have to copy and past the imagine link to your post on here...nice and easy and everyone can see them.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
BigBadDodge

Name: BigBadDodge
Member`s Gallery
Some pics here:

http://www.bigbaddodge.com/DodgeBodyConversion.html

BBD

Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Just went out to the shop to snap a few pictures of how ours is (non tilt but very gutted).

The first picture of the box looks like there is alot of bracing and weight...but there isn't...you are seeing the rear cab support also in the pic.

All in all, its mounted totally solid, very strong and ridgid and will make it easy to work on the chassis/drive train. We will also have the option to pull the box, cab and front clip off the truck within minutes if needed.

In one or two pictures you will see a tube going across the frame welded to the front of the cab, that piece was just tacked on to hold the cab level with the frame untill we got the other pieces in.

Oh, all said and done...we used 30' of 3/4" thin wall tubing for the box and front clip and we used 20' of 1" square tube for the cab.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
JERONIMO

Member`s Gallery
Scott and Ryan,both of you guys have trucks that's in a class of their own. Thanks for taking the time to help me out with my junker. I didn't get a chance to set up a photobucket account last night but I will tonight. After seeing you guys stuff up close makes me wanna scap mine and hire you. Pics of my junk is soon to come so when you see'em please feel free to laugh at poke fun cause when I step into the garage I think to myself "WTF was I thinking" :-D

Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
JERONIMO

Member`s Gallery
IMG_0032.jpg picture by JERONIMO54 - PhotobucketPictures by JERONIMO54 - Photobucket

Last edited by JERONIMO; 07-09-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Closed Thread