S475, race cover or no?

'strokeThis_'07

After searching, it looks like the race cover is 5.5" inlet vs 5" for the standard cover, but that's about it. Is there any gain to be had with a race cover on a 475 in a compound arrangement?

Thinking 100% nozzles, dual pumps, 63/68 over 475, EFILive tuning of course. I'd like to be in the 850 range on fuel (thinking the 63/68 and 475 would still spool real good at 6-8k elevation, hence why I'm leaning smaller)

Please don't quote me on this, but IIRC ED told me a race cover is good for about another 50hp in a low pressure turbo.

Race cover has a larger a/r.

I was looking somewhere, maybe CPP or Stainless, and they had a standard cover 475, T6, 1.32 AR, 96 turbine wheel. Then a race cover 475, T6, 1.32 AR, 96 turbine. That's where I got lost and got me thinking

go with a 478 from ED instead

That what you're running Rich?

I'm also trying to determine billet wheels or not, and this batmowheel stuff. Still need to get hold of ED, keep putting it off.

If you're considering changing turbos you want want to look into a smaller turbine wheel.

If you're considering changing turbos you want want to look into a smaller turbine wheel.

Why? I have the same turbine wheels as the OP and my 2nd gen spools like lighting (faster than a stock 35!). just curious why you say smaller is better.
Id call E.D. and ask Chris.

Why? I have the same turbine wheels as the OP and my 2nd gen spools like lighting (faster than a stock 35!). just curious why you say smaller is better.
Id call E.D. and ask Chris.

Think he might have been refering to the s400. A 92 1.1a/r is a nice alternative

I switched from a s475/96/1.32 to a s478/92/1.1

Spool up was quicker as well as dropping a 100 deg on the top end.

I say go with the s478

A box s400 75/96/1.32 is a great cheap turbo and 5 years ago was thought to be the best. Just better options out there by today's standards.

If someone wants a decent amount of air they're hard to beat for 6-700 bucks.
Definitely better options out there now though.
I still laugh at the claims of 900+ on fuel from a 475 in a compound set up...I guess generous dynos can change the laws of physics. LOL

Correction factor has been a great subject to laugh at lately. We all have 1000hp with the right CF.

Back