64.sxe over FI V2 488 power potential?

blackmega3500

So pulled my 6 blade 480 and swapped in the FI V2 7 blade 488. Because the V2 cover is so big, had to cut 1.25" off my stainless diesel cold pipe and weld back to get fitment right.

Surprisingly spool is just a touch over 100rpms later than the 480 when is registers psi in the primary boost gauge, but off throttle boost in 1st gear is about 100rpm sooner to 10psi at the engine.

Very smooth power, but this 488 is far from shy and by the time it hits 10psi in the cold pipe it wants to just skyrocket.

This truck is only running 100hp injectors, and spools this set great and smokes basically void, but looking ahead what would be a reasonable street friendly injector size that would compliment this much air. Keep in mind, this is not a race truck, and weighs over 12klbs.

Not even sure what this setup is capable power wise, but currently not willing to push past 80psi til rods go in.

Did FI give you any map or clue to how much air the 88 puts out? Any pics of the 88 with the housing on?

I'm sure that's "gettable". Bought basically new from member here, confirmed build and such with Jose at FI prior to.

20171202_015357.jpg

20171202_173152.jpg

20171202_011547.jpg

Last edited:
As a side note, when I was talking with Stainless diesel about fitment they said "oh just cut the V-bands off both the compressor cover and cold pipe and bead roll for a slip hose. We do that all the time for customers wanting to go with the big cover...." Told the guy, no thanks I'll just take the metal out of the cold pipe needed to unmolest the Vband and retain a solid seal.

I bought dropped the phone laughing my backside off at the thought of that!

The turbine won't support an 88mm compressor with the trim I would like to see, neither the FI or BW unit have this.

Most likely it would make more power than the BW S488 SX-E.

I respect that!

I honestly was expecting it to be a lot more laggy then what it is.

When I talked to Jose on it and opinion when I told him I was looking at one of his used units he basically said from his 6 blade 480 to this unit spool wasn't going to suffer much at all, and he was right.

I was surprised when I went above an S480 and saw how little difference there was getting it to start boosting. Even the GT55 came up very close to the same rpm. You don't have to make over 80psi to make good power though. I made 1200 with 72psi. A common rail should make even more and spool alot faster. Don't be afraid to go big.

I was surprised when I went above an S480 and saw how little difference there was getting it to start boosting. Even the GT55 came up very close to the same rpm. You don't have to make over 80psi to make good power though. I made 1200 with 72psi. A common rail should make even more and spool alot faster. Don't be afraid to go big.

I think there is something to say about volume, and how it effects low end performance before the boost needle ever moves. The turbo is still spinning and creating some sort of flow. I’m not an expert but I agree with Ron.

I was told many times my hx82 would never spool, but it lights off faster then my billet 75 would as a single. Go figure!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is something to say about volume, and how it effects low end performance before the boost needle ever moves. The turbo is still spinning and creating some sort of flow. I’m not an expert but I agree with Ron.

I was told many times my hx82 would never spool, but it lights off faster then my billet 75 would as a single. Go figure!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still believe regardless the momentum of a larger wheel has a playing factor.

I boost faster on the freeway cruising with the 488 than the 480. Now can't say for sure whether the cover, the wheel size, or both are major factors, but 10psi at 1300rpms and 20psi by 1600 and 100% controllable boost from the primary from there on is a major bonus compared to the 480 which was controllable at 1800-1900 rpm.

I killed some off the throttle at idle boost and that was a major bonus as I like my rods in the block and new the 480 had the jump from a dig, but I like the top end now much better!

Back