Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #41
GM Duraturd

Name: GM Duraturd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
2.5 Rules

Box stock S366 from bw (allowed to change hot sides) or stock turbo(s), model year interchange allowed. No exceptions

No hanging weights, or hidden weights
No water

No permanent suspension stops.

Reese type hitches ONLY

No dual pumps

No Nitrous

No AG governors.

Must have current tags, ins, registration.

Or that is my idea.

Why not make a weight limit and just not allowed to hang it... Why not hide it? who cares? If you were inferring no added weight at all that would be terrible for a RC/LB SRW against a CC/LC DRW etc...

1997 F-250
Working towards next years Work Stock puller.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #42
roachie

Name: roachie
Title: Taco Master
Member`s Gallery
Use hitch height to compensate then

Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #43
kino_fab

Name: kino_fab
Title: KTPA Tech Official
Member`s Gallery
Here is what I've been pondering on for a set of rules:

2.5 Inducer. Inducer bore will be checked with a 2.55 plug (same as old years past) at the initial event that the driver and truck attends. Turbo must be a small frame. Only frame sizes accepted are S300, HTB2, HX50, GT40, (and any others I have missed). Turbo must have frame size tag. No Clipped wheels, bushings, or stepped covers. Maximum compressor wheel will be 64mm inducer diameter and 91mm over all diameter. Factory MWE groove allowed no larger than .200" and must be behind the face of the compressor wheel. Any non members finishing 1st place must remove compressor cover for inspection of the turbo. Any paid members will be inspected only under a protest. $75 protest fee on turbo chargers. 08+ Ford trucks allowed to run Factory twin turbo configuration.

Single Injection pump. No dual CP3's. P-pump engines limited to 12mm plunger and barrels (would be checked under a protest for a $100 fee). Dual High Pressure oil pumps allowed on the 7.3L Powerstrokes. P-pump 24v allowed.

Electronic controlled engine must use the Factory ECM. No stand-alone/aftermarket units. Any Boxes, Chips and Programmers allowed with the factory electronic systems.

Factory Cylinder heads only. Cummins engines must have factory casted intake plenum in place and must not have been cut off previously and rewelded or bolted back in place. All other engines must use the stock intake manifold(s)/plenum(s).

Exhaust must exit straight up or down behind the cab. No hood stacks.

Front Hanging weight allowed. 8200lb maximum with driver.

Traction bars allowed and rear suspension can be blocked, but must me easily removed. Factory suspension configurations only.

Reece style hitches only. May be braced but no part of hitch or braces forward of the centor of the rear axel.

Must have full interior. All base model accessories must be inplace and functional (Power Steering, alternator, water pump, HVAC system, ect)

Tech Official for:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #44
TwoStroke

Name: TwoStroke
Title: Thompson Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kino_fab View Post
Here is what I've been pondering on for a set of rules:

2.5 Inducer. Inducer bore will be checked with a 2.55 plug (same as old years past) at the initial event that the driver and truck attends. Turbo must be a small frame. Only frame sizes accepted are S300, HTB2, HX50, GT40, (and any others I have missed). Turbo must have frame size tag. No Clipped wheels, bushings, or stepped covers. Maximum compressor wheel will be 64mm inducer diameter and 91mm over all diameter. Factory MWE groove allowed no larger than .200" and must be behind the face of the compressor wheel. Any non members finishing 1st place must remove compressor cover for inspection of the turbo. Any paid members will be inspected only under a protest. $75 protest fee on turbo chargers. 08+ Ford trucks allowed to run Factory twin turbo configuration.

Single Injection pump. No dual CP3's. P-pump engines limited to 12mm plunger and barrels (would be checked under a protest for a $100 fee). Dual High Pressure oil pumps allowed on the 7.3L Powerstrokes. P-pump 24v allowed.

Electronic controlled engine must use the Factory ECM. No stand-alone/aftermarket units. Any Boxes, Chips and Programmers allowed with the factory electronic systems.

Factory Cylinder heads only. Cummins engines must have factory casted intake plenum in place and must not have been cut off previously and rewelded or bolted back in place. All other engines must use the stock intake manifold(s)/plenum(s).

Exhaust must exit straight up or down behind the cab. No hood stacks.

Front Hanging weight allowed. 8200lb maximum with driver.

Traction bars allowed and rear suspension can be blocked, but must me easily removed. Factory suspension configurations only.

Reece style hitches only. May be braced but no part of hitch or braces forward of the centor of the rear axel.

Must have full interior. All base model accessories must be inplace and functional (Power Steering, alternator, water pump, HVAC system, ect)
Might have to put the ol vp motor back in a truck

Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #45
FordGuy24

Name: FordGuy24
Title: Josh Mink
Member`s Gallery
I actually like Kino_fabs rules....I'd even come out to play with those

CAMB Motorsports
Toops Performance

Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #46
MegaCabRam

Name: MegaCabRam
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy24 View Post
I actually like Kino_fabs rules....I'd even come out to play with those
Same here, I'm on the fence wether or not i should finish mine or just get it running and sell it. I cant afford to put 50k + in a motor and even if i could i sure wouldnt put it in a 2.6 truck where your going to be working on the driveline constantly...

Last edited by MegaCabRam; 07-20-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #47
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
also to add:

Factory air to air intercoolers only. No aftermarkets.

No injectables (water, water/meth, nitrous, propain, ect)

All trucks must have saftey equipment. Fuel and Air shut offs, drive shaft loops and u-joint covers... ect...

Not really wanting to make this a intro or beginners class, but basically for those who want to pull again and be competitive with out breaking the bank. As a tech official for KOTTPA, I have spoke with many sled operators and they have all said that the events they have atteneded in years past do not have hardly any diesel trucks now because most places just have a 2.6 class and no one can afford to run that class anymore. Places that use to have 20-40 trucks in a class can barely see 5 or 6 these days. With the economy these days, we need a more "Mid Range" class for those who want to pull affordably.

Personally the days of the old 2.5 class with the basic hot daily driver was when it was fun to pull. Now with the basically unlimited 2.6 class, there is no fun to it anymore because it cost too much.

Tech Official for:

Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #48
MegaCabRam

Member`s Gallery
Yea we were talking about that the other night, there were 5 trucks at the scottsville kottpa pull last month, and one of the last times i hooked my 06 at scottsville there was atleast 15 trucks that we could think of, i think that was in 09.

Last edited by MegaCabRam; 07-20-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #49
nborga87

Name: nborga87
Title: Poor Boy Puller
Member`s Gallery
I really like that set of rules! I think that would make a good competitive class with a lot of trucks in this area.
Team All Hooked Up
Mid-Atlantic Pulling Association

Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #50
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
I remember that year. It was the last year I had my black 04. We had 2 Scottsville pulls with in 3 or 4 weeks of each other. The first pull had 18 in the class. The next pull was in Russle Springs and we had 14 in the class. The next Scottsville pull we had 16. Now it seems there are 5 or 6 that might be at each of our events all be cause no one can afford it any more.

Tech Official for:

Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #51
MegaCabRam

Member`s Gallery
Yea times like thats what made me want to get into it, now iv finally got a dedicated truck to build but it seems kind of pointless now...

Heres Scottsville 2009:

and heres Scottsville this year:

Not talking bad about any of them, im good friends with most of them, just crazy how much stuff has changed.

Last edited by MegaCabRam; 07-20-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #52
bad12jr

Name: bad12jr
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I like that class idea hurts the big cube engines a little but tuning could take care of alot. A well tuned stroke can make 500. It would make for a good competitive class with around a 10000 or so in aftermarket investments.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #53
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Even with that rule set you will have the same issues. You can stuff larger turbines in that frame size, and that will depict the hp more than the compressor. Brave move to tech the plunger size also. Factory intercoolers and no hidden weight seems to be a stretch.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #54
bad12jr

Member`s Gallery
The inducer would have to be 2.5. No bigger. And the exducer could only be so big. It wouldn't pass tech with a bigger wheel.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #55
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad12jr View Post
The inducer would have to be 2.5. No bigger. And the exducer could only be so big. It wouldn't pass tech with a bigger wheel.
It said nothing of the turbine wheel. Controlling the compressor inducer/exducer is only half of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino_fab View Post
Turbo must have frame size tag. No Clipped wheels, bushings, or stepped covers. Maximum compressor wheel will be 64mm inducer diameter and 91mm over all diameter.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #56
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Great set of rules, enforcing them is the real issue.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #57
OrangeNV

Name: OrangeNV
Title: BISH please
Member`s Gallery
enforcing anything is the problem, crack is illegal - people smoke it everyday
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
Nothing is quite as exciting as bare-backing a ginger crack wh0re that is famous.
MUMAU
RAM BOYZ
KEYSTONE
MANNING

Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #58
FordGuy24

Name: FordGuy24
Title: Josh Mink
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad12jr View Post
I like that class idea hurts the big cube engines a little but tuning could take care of alot. A well tuned stroke can make 500. It would make for a good competitive class with around a 10000 or so in aftermarket investments.
Fords only hope is a 6.4 in workstock which can make 550+ no problem. The rules also help the ford camp with the 8200 pound limit as our trucks are very heavy, and this allows us to hang weight.

We all know a Cummins, stroke and max can be in the 5-600hp range on a truely stock charger so I believe thats where we need to limit the power...I guess my main concern with the other 2.5 rules is that it throws fords way out of the picture when I truelly want to see all brands in an entry "street" class.

CAMB Motorsports
Toops Performance

Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #59
jneal

Name: jneal
Title: Fleece Performance
Member`s Gallery
Kino's rules are fine except the no aftermarket air to air's. I've seen dodges with a S300 blow the factory one. Nobody is gonna blow a factory intercooler and then turn around and spend the money on another factory intercooler just to blow it the next pass.

2006 GMC 2500HD 4x4, reg cab, lbz, allison 6 speed
FLEECE PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING
11.30@123mph

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #60
bad12jr

Member`s Gallery
Sorry misread turbine. But why limit the hot side. A 7.3 isn't going to be able to use a .90 ar housing on the street. Where as a 5.9 could and run fine. The compressor can only flow so much air which is a good limiter. Why took send the turbo to a tech locatition. Tech it and put a lock on it. Charge 30 dollars or so and cut down on tech at the track. If the seal is broken your disqualified.

Works for go kart engines in the box stock class. Why wouldn't this work for a turbo.

Closed Thread