Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #21
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Builders View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing bar tires. IMO it would save money. Set of good pullers will last several seasons.
I'd like to do bar tires also. Expect the fact that it's going to cost a chunk to get them setup the first time. Good thing I like about dots is you can run them a year and sell them on Craigslist for same price as you paid for them I'd you'll shop arounso when buying them. But then again I'm broke un like most pullers lol

Old 08-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
Smoking S

Name: Smoking S
Member`s Gallery
Leave 3.0 alone!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #23
coady

Name: coady
Member`s Gallery
Or take the 3.0 and make it the old school 2.8 class with some differences cab interior optional and open driveline is still good.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #24
coady

Name: coady
Member`s Gallery
Or better yet. A 2.8 class and a 2.5 class.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #25
prochargedcumnz

Name: prochargedcumnz
Title: farmer/ups'r
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coady View Post
Or better yet. A 2.8 class and a 2.5 class.
This will be the last thing that happens IMO.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #26
duramaxsandwich

Name: duramaxsandwich
Member`s Gallery
Turbo must be a smooth 3.2” max inlet diameter. To be measured with round 3.25”slug. No MWE groove allowed. No alterations to allow air to compressor wheel other than 3.2” bore are allowed. Compressor cover and compressor wheel must be smooth contoured. 3.25” slug not allowed to contact compressor wheel.

get the power level back down to 14-1500hp where a 5.9 block can live for a couple seasons and get our truck count back and go have fun. no one will be able to tell 16-1800hp truck that are now 14-1500hp except our checkbooks. it could be an attractive class for a 2.6 guy making 1300hp with a hx 60 who is replacing r/p every three hooks to put a wheel and cover on his turbo and be able to run a dropbox reverser and a big rear end. imo the 3.0 class is dying and something has to change. more power is definetly not the answer.

2001 ec/lb gmc 3.6 LB7 puller

Last edited by duramaxsandwich; 08-12-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #27
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxsandwich View Post
Turbo must be a smooth 3.2” max inlet diameter. To be measured with round 3.25”slug. No MWE groove allowed. No alterations to allow air to compressor wheel other than 3.2” bore are allowed. Compressor cover and compressor wheel must be smooth contoured. 3.25” slug not allowed to contact compressor wheel.
A true drop in wheel hx60,s400 class has been what I thought would be great for years. People would be very surprised how good they still would run. Our 3x3.6 class here is fun. We are all still running the old 3.0 turbos from 6-7 years ago. They make pretty daMN good power still and motors are stupid cheap to build. We had a hx60 truck in top 10 at ts this year. And a truck that runs with us with a s500 in top 6 without a deck plate. And that motor has lived for a few years now. I do agree less hp is what this class needs to grow. Or even to make some other 2.6 trucks bump. I believe 2.6 and 3.0 could combine with a nice turbo rule and be a good class.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #28
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
.... Our 3x3.6 class here is fun..... And a truck that runs with us with a s500 in top 6 without a deck plate.
I assume you meant S400 since you only allow a 3.6 turbine not 3.9.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #29
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97crewcab View Post
I assume you meant S400 since you only allow a 3.6 turbine not 3.9.
No its a 500. They run it with a bushing welded into the exhaust since they already had the turbo before we decided on rules. They haven't run away from the hx60s like that so all is good.

Last edited by jones95runner; 08-12-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #30
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
I'd personally like to see 2.6 get limited to a 3.35 turbine and eliminate some I the grey area with these covers for both classes and 3.0 to go back to 3.0x3.6 and this sport would be pretty crazy competitive.. But it'll never happen. So I'm all for this 3.0 smooth w/ odl and 3.6 smooth with cut

Old 09-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #31
sinister

Name: sinister
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
The reason i would guess that they want smooth bore turbos is because of all the map grooves being messed with. Every pull has a turbo that someone pushed the limits on. Smooth bore cuts all that out. Makes it all simple. I have been hearing 3.0 will have the same rules with a bigger turbo (smooth bore) with cut tires. 2.6 will get a 3.0 (smooth bore) and they might open the drive line up. The just what i have been told from class reps in sanctioning PPL clubs. Not in stone just what they have talked about.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #32
Badbrad3701

Name: Badbrad3701
Title: Borrowed Money
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComnRailPwr View Post
I like this
Now 2.5 needs go 2.6 smooth bore

Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #33
ComnRailPwr

Name: ComnRailPwr
Member`s Gallery
F 2.6 smooth bore in 2.5. 2.75 smooth is where its at. Theirs a ton of them out there and their already mastered on the tractor world.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #34
Duraagon

Name: Duraagon
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
N

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #35
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
F 2.6 smooth bore in 2.5. 2.75 smooth is where its at. Theirs a ton of them out there and their already mastered on the tractor world.
If all these turbos in smooth bore classes are "mastered" like I keep hearing, why do they always have a better one available each year?

This idea that smooth bore will change the outcome of who wins every year is naive.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #36
ComnRailPwr

Member`s Gallery
Nobody said it would change the outcome, at least I didn't. I'll continue to spend coin on the best wheels and covers if not then I'll fall behind. "mastered" was not a good choice of word. that's when we stop becoming innovative if that's the case. Your opinion on this has changed over the last year because pretty sure Eric and yourself were wanting smooth bore broke to buying my first turbo. I personally like smooth bore. On a local level techs cannot do anything beside throw a plug in. Going smooth IMO will keep power the same it is now, eliminate all the teching issues and push manufactures to design better wheels and wheel/turbine/housing combo. You sell turbos so their may be a lot of downfalls from a manufacturing/building standpoint, but as a puller I like the idea of smooth bore.

Last edited by ComnRailPwr; 09-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #37
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
If all these turbos in smooth bore classes are "mastered" like I keep hearing, why do they always have a better one available each year?

This idea that smooth bore will change the outcome of who wins every year is naive.
I don't think many people think that. I think most people realize that certain customers and shops get covers and wheels that are a year or two away from public release anyways. That's ok and it makes sense for everybody involved.

I think what it will do is make the difference smaller and the gain smaller so if someone buys a charger this year he knows he's not 150hp down in two years but maybe 20-30. I also agree it making tech easier and the opportunity to have rules that don't need to be specific enough to cover every grey area.

BTW.....I am all for exploiting grey areas that aren't covered in the rules. I do it every year because I can't afford the HP that the tops trucks can so I need to find an advantage other places.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #38
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Your opinion on this has changed over the last year because pretty sure Eric and yourself were wanting smooth bore. You sell turbos so their may be a lot of downfalls from a manufacturing/building standpoint, but as a puller I like the idea of smooth bore.
Yes we both wanted smooth bore last year, and the year before, but it fell on deaf ears. But now we don't want the people that have bought new turbos to be forced to buy another new one, you seem to not realize we are trying to help the pullers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
I think what it will do is make the difference smaller and the gain smaller so if someone buys a charger this year he knows he's not 150hp down in two years but maybe 20-30.
That thinking is my concern, people need to understand that there are large power differences in the smooth bore classes also, don't be fooled into thinking you can buy a $750 turbo and be competitive, that is wishful thinking.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #39
gotta12v

Name: gotta12v
Member`s Gallery
The current harts 4.1 smooth charger has not had an update in 4 seasons. The current smooth 3x3 had an updated wheel last year and it was a 30hp gain.

Smooth will most certainly tighten up the hp gap in the class. Funny how opinions change when your making money selling turbos in the class

Old 09-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #40
ComnRailPwr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Yes we both wanted smooth bore last year, and the year before, but it fell on deaf ears. But now we don't want the people that have bought new turbos to be forced to buy another new one, you seem to not realize we are trying to help the pullers here.

That thinking is my concern, people need to understand that there are large power differences in the smooth bore classes also, don't be fooled into thinking you can buy a $750 turbo and be competitive, that is wishful thinking.
It seems we all buy new turbos every year anyways. I have seen 4 different variations of your floating bore covers. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that you guys are doing what you are with the covers, it simply works. You are also changing it all the time finding power here and there. Next years turbo rolling off the machines will be different than this years turbo, smooth bore or not. Power will be the reason and the heavy hitters will certainly upgrade.

Closed Thread