Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #41
01PPUMP

Name: 01PPUMP
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I just find it hard to believe that 100+ diesel trucks 2.6 and 3.0 that was at SDX 2015 will be illegal for 2016. That does not include the local sanctions that follow PPL rules. Most pulling parts take a long time to get. No way the turbo manufactures will be able to supply that many cover/wheels. They still have to R&D everything and then produce product. I don't see it happening...

Old 09-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #42
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01PPUMP View Post
I just find it hard to believe that 100+ diesel trucks 2.6 and 3.0 that was at SDX 2015 will be illegal for 2016. That does not include the local sanctions that follow PPL rules. Most pulling parts take a long time to get. No way the turbo manufactures will be able to supply that many cover/wheels. They still have to R&D everything and then produce product. I don't see it happening...

I do agree. That's a lot of turbos to turn out in just a few months. Especially since a lot of them will go.though one shop.

I actually was impressed with the number of 3.0 trucks at schieds. Being that there was less than 10 running for ppl points and ts didn't have 20 "ppl" 3.0 trucks. Not that it matters to anybody but if they do go smooth bore and cut tires, we'll probably be done runnig any ppl pulls. Even though our rules were quite a bit different we still had fun going and trying to run with the ppl trucks. I was actually pretty happy with our run at ts.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #43
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta12v View Post
Funny how opinions change when your making money selling turbos in the class
Maybe your reading comprehension isn't as good as it should be, I clearly said I agreed with smooth bore in the past, but I do not agree with forcing everyone to purchase a new wheel/cover or turbocharger for next year, I simply want to fix the current rules which would allow the vast majority to keep what they already have, and also limit the power gap.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #44
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Maybe your reading comprehension isn't as good as it should be, I clearly said I agreed with smooth bore in the past, but I do not agree with forcing everyone to purchase a new wheel/cover or turbocharger for next year, I simply want to fix the current rules which would allow the vast majority to keep what they already have, and also limit the power gap.

How dare you try to help the pullers out by saving them money!!

Old 09-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #45
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComnRailPwr View Post
I have seen 4 different variations of your floating bore covers.
We didn't start that trend, we were forced to do so to compete, I don't agree with it, and that is why I want to change it.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #46
jedeka

Name: jedeka
Member`s Gallery
Why not have a class specific turbo, like the Outlaw Pulling 4.1 and super farm tractor classes do? Two or three manufacturers could produce them and seal them. This would also help keep turbo prices in check to a certain extent.

2005 3500 4x4 dually, auto, KORE leveling coils, 19.5 wheels, Smarty Jr

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #47
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedeka View Post
Why not have a class specific turbo, like the Outlaw Pulling 4.1 and super farm tractor classes do? Two or three manufacturers could produce them and seal them. This would also help keep turbo prices in check to a certain extent.
I talked to one of the prostock guys from the outlaws about his class.

"we run an outdated, high dollar boat anchor by hypermax" He was not a fan of the spec charger.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #48
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
Maybe local organizations need to separate from the ppl. That would solve all this crapstorm. Let them chase whatever rules they want but we don't need their trucks on a local level. Hell you can't set a sled to cover a 500 hp gap anyway.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #49
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I think the precision spec charger is about $4500 for the super farm and light limited pro class. If Roberts had his way I think our diesel 4x4 class would probably be running a precision spec charger. Possibly the same 3x3.35 charger the other two classes run currently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I talked to one of the prostock guys from the outlaws about his class.

"we run an outdated, high dollar boat anchor by hypermax" He was not a fan of the spec charger.
It keeps the class close in finish and to "home". Can't pull with anything other than the spec charger in those classes with Outlaw. Not even a single pass anymore.
If you run the 8500 LLP class with outlaw you will need a second charger to run the 8500 3x4 class with PPL. You must step up into the 640 super farm class with your 466 with ppl.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #50
97crewcab

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOISRAM View Post
Maybe local organizations need to separate from the ppl. That would solve all this crapstorm. Let them chase whatever rules they want but we don't need their trucks on a local level. Hell you can't set a sled to cover a 500 hp gap anyway.
I do believe that the local organizations need to do what is best for the group, the pullers, and the pulling venues. This can be done on the local level by adding to the ppl rules. The end of the ppl rule book has plenty of member state rule allowances.
We voted in to allow the 3" smooth bore turbo to run with the 2.6 ppl chargers this year. So far only one truck is taking advantage of it, but it allows for guys who are starting out the OPTION to buy a less expensive turbo. Our group needs pullers, not necessarily national contenders. Just how it is for our group.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #51
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
4 diesel truck classes is pointless. 2.5 needs to get a grip on turbo rules and be the same across country. 2.6 and 3.0 combine with a strict turbo rule 1400-1500hp ODL dot tires. Non deck plate motors could live at that level and that class would THRIVE. Supper stock seems to be doing fairly well with numbers.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #52
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97crewcab View Post
I think the precision spec charger is about $4500 for the super farm and light limited pro class. If Roberts had his way I think our diesel 4x4 class would probably be running a precision spec charger. Possibly the same 3x3.35 charger the other two classes run currently?

It keeps the class close in finish and to "home". Can't pull with anything other than the spec charger in those classes with Outlaw. Not even a single pass anymore.
If you run the 8500 LLP class with outlaw you will need a second charger to run the 8500 3x4 class with PPL. You must step up into the 640 super farm class with your 466 with ppl.

I would think that roberts gets a little kickback from hypermax and precision by making this rule(or at least a nice sponsorship).

The spec charger really does limit the ability to run multiple organizations.

Be curious how the outlaws/PPL resolution as I heard there were some sour taste when PPL picked up some of the western pulls.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #53
jedeka

Name: jedeka
Member`s Gallery
While the initial price tag may seem steep, look at the price of the latest Harts turbo cost. A spec turbo can be freshened up every winter and you are not stockpiling obsolete turbos every year., searching for the latest and greatest turbo. It would keep the competition a little more even. Just some ideas. Precision does put money into the points fund.

2005 3500 4x4 dually, auto, KORE leveling coils, 19.5 wheels, Smarty Jr

Old 09-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #54
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I would think that roberts gets a little kickback from hypermax and precision by making this rule(or at least a nice sponsorship).

The spec charger really does limit the ability to run multiple organizations.

Be curious how the outlaws/PPL resolution as I heard there were some sour taste when PPL picked up some of the western pulls.
Precision does put in a rather large sponsorship which is part of the deal with running their turbo. If they allowed any turbo that sponsorship would go away or be significantly less. Would other turbo shops filled in that void. You may not be able to pull everywhere but how many pulls do you really need to attend each year.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #55
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
While the initial price tag may seem steep, look at the price of the latest Harts turbo cost. A spec turbo can be freshened up every winter and you are not stockpiling obsolete turbos every year., searching for the latest and greatest turbo. It would keep the competition a little more even. Just some ideas. Precision does put money into the points fund.
You can freshen up a ppl legal turbo every year just like a spec turbo from outlaw. The top turbos in the diesel truck classes hasn't changed. Just some small adjustments to the wheels/cover.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #56
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpcummins View Post
You can freshen up a ppl legal turbo every year just like a spec turbo from outlaw. The top turbos in the diesel truck classes hasn't changed. Just some small adjustments to the wheels/cover.
So the $6k+ garret turbo harts has now has been around awhile? What about precision 2.6x4.0 come out end of last year. Yea the 3.0 stuff has basically been the same over past few years. But 2.6 has changedone pretty drastically from last yearseason hx60s

Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #57
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
Just because some shop offers some high dollar turbo doesnt mean you have to buy it. Also doesn't mean it makes more power. HX60 based turbos in 2.6 class have been a top turbo for what like 4-5 years and still seems to be competitive to me.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #58
97crewcab

Member`s Gallery
The new 2.6 chargers for this season remind me of the movement away from hx60s in 3.0 a couple seasons ago.

Even with the new stuff is out that you mentioned, I think that hx60s are still very popular. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Haisley trucks still run hx60s that have been sourced from a different shop this season to improve reliability. I have been impressed by the renewed presence of S400s in 2.6 this year also.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #59
WI Huck

Name: WI Huck
Title: Where does the time go?
Member`s Gallery
Don't change the rules.

2003 Chevrolet Duramax Pulling Truck "Never Enough"
2014 Ram 5500 4x4 Pickup

BADGER STATE TRACTOR PULLERS
HUCKSTORF DIESEL

Old 09-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #60
01PPUMP

Name: 01PPUMP
Member`s Gallery
The local level rules don't have to change. I also think that this is a way for PPL to somewhat weed out trucks. I know it is only a couple times a year they have a lot of 2.6/3.0 trucks(TS and Scheids) but when your used to having 8-15 per class then you jump to 30+ and also qualifying, it is probably a pain. I'm sure all the heavy hitters will buy whatever they need to meet rules which is 10-15 trucks and that is what they want. I don't blame them...

Last edited by 01PPUMP; 09-04-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Closed Thread