Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance > P-Pump 24Valve
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Formula for 500 working hp?

Neighbor is finally going to build a new engine for his truck, and is asking for recommendations for the engine. It's an ecsb, 35" tires, 5spd, and I think 3.55 gears. Will be used for DD and towing, occasionally much heavier than he probably should! So far I've just given him general recommendations, like PDD afc live, and call infinite performance for turbo/injectors. I told him to join here, so maybe he'll join in. He said no more than 700hp for complete reliability, so I'm thinking a setup that makes about 500hp with fuel backed off a little, sort of a tow setting, could make up to about 700hp on full fuel. So far I think he's still shopping for new rotating assembly, current one sent something through the oil pan! So recommendations for a complete engine is what I'm after I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Neighbor is finally going to build a new engine for his truck, and is asking for recommendations for the engine. It's an ecsb, 35" tires, 5spd, and I think 3.55 gears. Will be used for DD and towing, occasionally much heavier than he probably should! So far I've just given him general recommendations, like PDD afc live, and call infinite performance for turbo/injectors. I told him to join here, so maybe he'll join in. He said no more than 700hp for complete reliability, so I'm thinking a setup that makes about 500hp with fuel backed off a little, sort of a tow setting, could make up to about 700hp on full fuel. So far I think he's still shopping for new rotating assembly, current one sent something through the oil pan! So recommendations for a complete engine is what I'm after I guess.
I kinda figured you knew stuff like this already.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
700hp heavy towing 12v is a tough build for total reliability.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
I'm not near as smart as you guys! Not sure what's done to the pump, or how big the injectors are. Told him send the pump to Farrell if he's doing anything to it, but I have no idea for injectors. Truck currently has a 62mm turbo, I think. As long as it's still good, told him something around a 75mm with it should get him there. He wants a very reliable bottom end, does he need anything special for rods/pistons? Pretty sure the truck would peg the 1600° gauge when run wide open.

As far as knowing myself already, I just know who to ask, I can't afford to do any fun stuff myself, so I just read and learn what I can.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
700hp heavy towing 12v is a tough build for total reliability.
My though was the 700hp was full effort power, while the towing would be more around 500hp by dialing fuel back with the afc live.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
turbo2387

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
My though was the 700hp was full effort power, while the towing would be more around 500hp by dialing fuel back with the afc live.

Which wont work well. Afc live isnt a programmer. He kinda needs to pick a goal. Having your cake and eating it too is a rare thing.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
Which wont work well. Afc live isnt a programmer. He kinda needs to pick a goal. Having your cake and eating it too is a rare thing.
Ok, that's why I'm asking. What he asked me was what he needed for a fun, but very reliable DD, but knowing him, I know it will eventually be overloaded, and he does frequently drive with a very heavy foot! I through out the 500hp number, he said that's probably work, then added the no more than 700hp as to not sacrifice reliability.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
The AFC Live can be used to dial it up and down. What I like to do is record fuel deliveries at varying boost levels when the pump is calibrated. Whoever you have do the pump should be able to do that for you. Then you know, for example, 10 psi to the pump you have 200 cc, 15 psi 250 cc, 20 psi 300 cc, etc. Fuel delivery I guess isn't all that important if you tune on the dyno or just by pyro and seat-of-pants, but I like to know for comparisons sake.
If you choose the AFC Live race unit it has a gauge and a port to apply air pressure for making adjustments. Figure out what pressure works for towing and what pressure is best for "Max Effort". Adjust accordingly. Not quite as easy as a DSP5 switch, but it works.
I just finished building a p-pump 24 valve that sounds similar to want your buddy wants to build. It had BD R700 twins on it when it came to me. It also had a set of Dynomite Custom injectors which flowed enough for 700-750 with the VP44. I built a 215 pump for it with 7mm valves and a 4k spring kit. Added AFC llive and max travel kit. This setup ran great and I wouldn't hesitate to tow with it at around 500-550 HP. And it should easily pull 700 HP.

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 03-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Oh and that build was on a stock bottom end that had been running for several years at over 500 RWHP with the VP. But if I was building the bottom end I would go with coated Mahle or OEM pistons for longevity, main girdle with studs, and stock rods with high strength bolts. Nothing super fancy is needed for the horsepower range in my opinion.

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 03-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Dozerboy

Name: Dozerboy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I don’t see how he’s not going to have to have twins with out is being a smokey pig. Towing is the issue unless he wants to shift a 4K rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4
These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
I think with a 200hp swing like mentioned, the biggest issue is going to be turbos.

Dialing back 200hp worth of fuel is going to make a poor driving truck with a larger turbo, and adding 200hp with a small turbo is going to cause havoc eventually as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 03-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
turbo2387

Member`s Gallery
AFC live is a cool thing but its a cool thing to dial in a particular setup. Expecting to have a mechanical truck that works really well at a 500hp and 700hp is a totally different animal. if you build a solid 700hp truck then cut its balls off so you can try to tow, it will be a pig. if you build a 500hp truck that tows really well you will struggle to fuel it to 700hp and in the process beat your turbos to death. as turbos that work best at 500hp are not the same turbos that work best at 700hp. same for the injectors

Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #13
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Ok, the 700hp was a theoretical, turn the fuel up number. Guess the 500+ tow beast is the primary goal, that he could bump the fuel for a little more to play. Compounds were my first recomendation, just not sure what sizes to say? I'm thinking pull his current turbo, a 62mm I think, and measure everything on it and see if it'd be a suitable to add a turbo too for the compound setup. Was thinking possibly something in the 72mm-76mm range.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #14
turbo2387

Member`s Gallery
62/65 gated over a 70 something s400 83mm turbine would work nicely.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
Do a PDD towing kit k27 over 369, should do perfect in that 500 to 600 range with some 5x14s.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #16
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Staying on the cheap side, I had a 623hp 12v with the stock hx35 and a cheap 475/96/1.32 under it. Towed anything I wanted, never worried about egt, and ran good. I bought a used piping setup off here from source auto. I know that's not the ideal turbine size for what I was using it for, but worked well.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Nice, that's about what I'm looking for, just need to get his old turbo off, and then decide what would pair best with it.

But more for the beginig stages, the engine in the truck is currently locked up upon sending something through the oil pan. If he's starting with a bare block, what would be the best pick for complete rotating assembly? Does anyone offer such a package, or is it piece it together himself?

Old 03-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Nice, that's about what I'm looking for, just need to get his old turbo off, and then decide what would pair best with it.

But more for the beginig stages, the engine in the truck is currently locked up upon sending something through the oil pan. If he's starting with a bare block, what would be the best pick for complete rotating assembly? Does anyone offer such a package, or is it piece it together himself?

I have a good set of stock rods I can sell you, just need new bearings. I have a 12v timing cover and case as well.
Hit up mark Nixon for a good crank or maybe a full package on some quality used ones.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #19
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I would recommend tearing it down to see what you have to work with.
You've said it was locked up. I'd want to know the why before getting into the how.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
I would recommend tearing it down to see what you have to work with.
You've said it was locked up. I'd want to know the why before getting into the how.
He's not using the old engine, has a complete 24v donor engine in the shop at work he said. I told him as long as everything was still in good shape with it, the factory rotating assembly should be plenty adequate. But if he's pulling everything out anyway, have it balanced, and deck both the block and head to be sure. Probably going to be a slow process, he's pretty busy, and will be doing most of the work himself.

Closed Thread