Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Old 02-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #381
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
OBD tuner was doing something wrong. Some can do it, some dont.

No it's not stealing, it's sharing information, something you know nothing about.
Leiffi you are even more stupid emitting things. There where times where OE support was given to some motorsport applications up to a point that some smell commercial potential with sharing for there own benefit and what do you think will happen. Goodbye and al doors closed on the OE side and up to this day there engines still smoke and have les power and god knows haw many OBD tuners did try. And yes they are all stupid. (NOT) Leiffi thanks for telling us. Makes me feel better.

Leiffi its people like you we worry about keeping a load of things indoors only sharing on a need to know bases. Do I like this? NO but I have to if I want to maintain the work I do.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #382
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Last week I went over to Scania Zwolle Holland to help out timing the new camshaft and have a look that all is within specification. Goal of the new camshaft is to gain more low en power and timing on these engines is critical as even with 2mm lift you get already 1/3 of max intake flow.

Also the team did a lot of work on the chassis constructing a sub frame bit in the same way as MAN and MKR dos things on there FIA Race trucks. I hope this will stiffen up things providing more traction as last year the more power we produced the harder is was to find a setting to get things on the road.

Finally we made it. For some years we want to run the superpull indoors with our truck puller and this year we did get a wildcard. Also our friend from Finland will be there as well wit his Volvo.

http://www.europeansuperpull.nl/deelnemers
Old 02-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #383
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Today I finally had the time to build a breakout box for a D16E engine 750Hp standard power rating. The breakout box will be replacing the OE ECU so we can wire in the Adaptronic 1280DI diesel ECU without making modifications to the OE wire loom of the engine.

Hope next week to start the installation of the ECU system that will be used for semi truck pulling hobbysport class. 74mm inlet restrictor and 2500RPM max.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #384
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Today we finally did the first off road test and I must say I’m happy with the data and result.

Last week we changed the turbine side of the S400SX to get better low-end response and it worked well al do we could not test this for one 100% as the clutch was slipping se we had to remove the gearbox twice to solve this problem and today it did hold the engine torque.

What did we gain over the older Euro 5 Rally Semi truck set-up? Better/more aggressive low-end response and the engine hold max power a lot longer in RPM. The comment of one of the drivers was I feels more like a car as I keeps pulling way up hi RPM

Old 03-08-2015, 04:18 AM   #385
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Ahoy European Superpull 2015 3e place.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:25 AM   #386
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Ahoy European Superpull 2015 3e place.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 AM   #387
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Load of fun last weekend. First the European super pull indoor with the Semi truck puller and yesterday both truck pulling and a demo with the Euro 6 DAF/Paccar rally truck.

It took some effort the get the Rally truck to behave more like a normal truck as is was very aggressive on the accelerator. The ECU is programmed for max engine response and instant boost from low RPM so in mid range of the accelerator pedal we had to delay things a bit as every bump in the road will release a load of torque making it even harder to control things.
Around zero and 100% accelerator pedal position things are instantaneous in response.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #388
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
This is What the Adaptronic 1280DI diesel ECU is able to do. Automatic up shifting on a Volvo truck with a D12A diesel engine with compound turbo set-up.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #389
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
GPS Speed limiter test. Truck Racing and Off Road Truck rallying.
To keep things Safe they impose Speed Limits for trucks.

We programmed the diesel ECU to take the speed signal from a GPS / logger module.
A Second speed signal is taken from the gearbox or ABS sensors. In this way you are sure to Always Have A Speed signal, use full if your GPS signal is weak and not able to provide the speed signal.

Why GPS Speed? With truck racing, there are growing tires because they warm up and expand changing the road speed indication. And yes the driver has a speed trim selector to correct things but with GPS speed indication speed indication will be correct all the time as it is taken from the satellites.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #390
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
A Oops moment for us. For some time we where looking into oil coming out of cylinder 6 exhaust port and first we had the idea that it was unburned diesel so we tested the injector and this tuned out the be in the same condition like new so the surge was on hoping to find a broken valve seal and but it turned out after taking the cylinder head off to be a bend connecting rod pressing the piston agents the cylinder wall with the results you see in the pictures.

We still need to inspect all other connecting rods but as far as we could see only one conrod is bent hoping this will not be a structural problem. Still it’s very hard to discover a problem on these engines with hi pressure fuel injectors as they hardly smoke white burning all kind of fuel in the combustion chamber including lub oil and only @ idle you get stuff dripping out of the exhaust.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by tall boy; 03-29-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #391
pacer

Name: pacer
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I had a cracked piston which looks just like that. Good find.
Will you have to pull the block, or can you press a new sleeve?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #392
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
A Oops moment for us. For some time we where looking into oil coming out of cylinder 6 exhaust port and first we had the idea that it was unburned diesel so we tested the injector and this tuned out the be in the same condition like new so the surge was on hoping to find a broken valve seal and but it turned out after taking the cylinder head off to be a bend connecting rod pressing the piston agents the cylinder wall with the results you see in the pictures.

We still need to inspect all other connecting rods but as far as we could see only one conrod is bent hoping this will not be a structural problem.
I'm surprised to see they're using 2pc pistons on those. I assumed they were using monotherms like almost everyone else.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #393
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Nevermind I thought that was the MX, now I see it's your puller.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #394
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
The Scania DC series engines are easy to repair with a damage like this and we hold al the spares to fix it. Press in a new liner piston/connecting rod and it will be up and running.

The Daf/Paccar MX series use all steel pistons on there 500Hp engines and on the lower power ratings it’s alloy I think.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:03 AM   #395
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
The first win for Truck Race Team Rainbow Warrior during Easter races at Zandvoort with a great lead.

Scania Race Team from Zwolle has in recent months been working very hard on the race truck to stiffen things up as the engine torque was lifting the rear wheel in the corners.

After the Daf Euro 6 project we did find more torque by adding more injection or rail pressure in combination with bust injection I also try this on the Scania XPI engine and it worked well.
We also start using post injection as we are very close to the max commonrail pressure and as the fuel metering is very aggressive it’s not that hard to open the safety valve on the commonrail as the fuel metering valve on the hi pressure fuel pump can not shut off fuel that fast (in milliseconds) so to prevent this we use post injections to drop the fuel pressure rapid by injecting fuel into the exhaust keeping the EGT up as while the engine deliver no power giving better turbo spool-up in the process as well.

Knowledge is power, so we have measured data from the Adaptronic Diesel ECU and AIM display / data logger and a RaceCapturePro data logger / speed module for GPS speed control (maximum speed limit) and so know what's going on every part of the track.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:30 AM   #396
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Start Race one

Last edited by tall boy; 04-05-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:05 AM   #397
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Enjoy

Result of last race weekend 2x first place and one second place so I’m happy man.
The Scania team still got some homework as in the last race there were cooling problems greatly reducing engine power so it looks the team will complete the 2015 spec engine that I hope will produce even more low end power. Next to this some test are on their way for a new and bigger XPI fuel injection system. @ low en RPM the hi pressure fuelpump I almost on the max not even running max fuel pressure even and the 2 plunger fuelpump is not a small one but the V8 got a 3 plunger one so no need to panic.

Also on the Volvo/ Renault D13 engine we get great comments as it preforms better than the Renault 11L commonrail factory race engines used by some teams and it will be a low cost replacement with more low end power. Also for this engine test are on their way with camshaft and bigger injectors. The test are done on a brand-new D16G 750Hp semi truckpuller engine sunning a S500SX turbo with a 75mm inlet restriction. Just by combining testing things between different motor sports is easy and faster to make progress.

Volvo with a D16G 750Hp electronic fuel injected engine Hobby Sport class 75mm inlet restriction.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #398
will24

Name: will24
Title: That guy
Member`s Gallery
Cool stuff! The rally truck is definitely intriguing!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #399
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Old 04-17-2015, 06:25 AM   #400
tall boy

Member`s Gallery