Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Introductions.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introductions. Take a moment to Introduce yourself here. Tell us about yourself and your rig!

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #21
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
So it thinking that anything "ground speed" is remotely related to anything "air speed."

I'm just here to watch this place burn.

That should be a screening question here to weed out tards

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 10-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #22
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowburner View Post
Oh, darn.
So that's just another Flat Earth discussion, then?

Some prominent figure just itching to start a fight, it looks like, and just loves the saloon brawl aspect of the whole thing.

Well, to each his own. Looked like someone had fun, anyway.
But what if it's a disc, and the plane is really a needle on a record?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #23
slowburner

Name: slowburner
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
That should be a screening question here to weed out tards
In fairness, that kind of logic-knot question is used all the time. We'd do stuff like that to new hire graduate engineers just to mess with them.

Confusion for the sake of entertainment. Sort of a guilty pleasure, i guess.

I understand Mythbusters programmed their show around a lot of these old classic conundrums... and got about half of them wrong.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
I've had an 83 6.2, 83 300 TD, 92 5.9,and a 95 7.3. The 6.2 I never had to spend a nickel on. All the others were a different story. In all fairness, the MB was constantly needing some type of fixing, but never drive line related.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #25
slowburner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
In all fairness, the MB was constantly needing some type of fixing, but never drive line related.
You're right. Constantly.

Like that stupid valve adjustment dance every few thousand miles, or whenever the temperatures change, whichever comes first.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #26
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You're right. Constantly.

Like that stupid valve adjustment dance every few thousand miles, or whenever the temperatures change, whichever comes first.
I never adjust my valves, probably not a good thing but it hasn’t give me trouble lol.
I agree, but mine is pretty trouble free since I did away with the rediculous vacuum climate control. And pretty much anything else vacuum.

But I should also add that I don’t really drive it that much. I’ve put 40k miles on it in 7 years lol
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Last edited by mfsuper90; 10-10-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #27
slowburner

Member`s Gallery
I hate that vacuum setup, too. Deleted my monovalve and just use a manual heater control.

What were those Jerrys thinking? I'm told that they didn't have the best relationship with Bosch at the time, so they minimized electrical whenever they could. Which is good for simplifying the engine, but everything else suffers.

Heck, the Oil Pressure gauge on the dash uses a genuine oil tube and fitting instead of wires to a sensor.

I'm still trying to figure out how to run that 722 transmission without a vacuum switch. It runs a Bowden cable, which makes me think of a 700R4, but it also runs a vacuum switch which the 700R4 does not.

I have several engine/transmission pairs hanging around.

One of my more likely projects - or at least one that seems to be desirable - is that OM617 turbo engine and 722 transmission in between some 4WD frame rails, like a Ford Explorer. Then drop a Mercedes Wagon body over it and have a 4WD diesel Mercedes Wagon.

Better yet would be this OM655 engine I got. Trouble is, it's got the new ECU system. But i just got the engine. And these ECUs can't be hacked - or no one has done it, yet. Seems the Germans went crazy with crypto on these things, so to start it, I gotta find a column switch and key all set up to the VIN of the ECU. None of that is sold in North America for this engine.

Oh, brother... get me going on Mercedes diesels...

But hey, it's what i got.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #28
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
I always wanted a 617 with a standard, or at the minimum a lockup convertor and OD. I have a soft spot for them, being my first car. They are also the only indirect engine that I kind of like.

What’s not cool about a 5 cylinder IDI that runs 4500rpm from the factory? Also pretty cool that they did an overhead cam on a diesel in the late 70s
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 10-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
slowburner

Member`s Gallery
Standard shift is hard to find. I have a 4-speed sitting in a 240D right now that i'll cannibalize shortly. 4 speed was never offered in a 300D. 5 speed was never offered at all in a diesel, so they're crazy expensive and rare.

I have a 6 speed MB transmission on a pallet, but it's not from an old school diesel, but a new import version. It may be worth a mate adapter fab.

All my engines are approaching being worn out. Need to accomplish some major engine stand heroics on them. I'm told a hone-and-ring job is asking for trouble, but i'm also told that it's seldom the pistons and rings in the first place. I'ma gonna find out if a OM617 can be "refurbished".

Throw new bearings and such in the lower end. Do whatever must be done to the head, if anything. Try to get more than 150hp out of it... somehow. There's lots of "how-to" articles out there, but it doesn't seem like there's many "success stories" of dramatic increases.

If I can do that, it would open up a lotta possibilties for my fleet of toys. Nothing spectacular, but at least maybe more fun.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Standard shift is hard to find. I have a 4-speed sitting in a 240D right now that i'll cannibalize shortly. 4 speed was never offered in a 300D. 5 speed was never offered at all in a diesel, so they're crazy expensive and rare.

I have a 6 speed MB transmission on a pallet, but it's not from an old school diesel, but a new import version. It may be worth a mate adapter fab.

All my engines are approaching being worn out. Need to accomplish some major engine stand heroics on them. I'm told a hone-and-ring job is asking for trouble, but i'm also told that it's seldom the pistons and rings in the first place. I'ma gonna find out if a OM617 can be "refurbished".

Throw new bearings and such in the lower end. Do whatever must be done to the head, if anything. Try to get more than 150hp out of it... somehow. There's lots of "how-to" articles out there, but it doesn't seem like there's many "success stories" of dramatic increases.

If I can do that, it would open up a lotta possibilties for my fleet of toys. Nothing spectacular, but at least maybe more fun.
Big injection pump will get you there. The little 5.5mm MW pumps are pathetic
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 10-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #31
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
Wish I still had the video from Source Automotive of them drag racing my old 300SD. Those neck jarring shifts from the auto were impressive. Almost as impressive as a bunch of guys pulling up on the rear bumper to get it to do a burnout.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #32
slowburner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsuper90 View Post
Big injection pump will get you there. The little 5.5mm MW pumps are pathetic
Yeah, i don't understand all i'd like to know about those pumps.

Everyone sends theirs off to some guy in Sweden (dieselmenken) and pay like $1,500 for 7.5 or 8mm pump elements.. or something like that.

I keep telling myself I could dive into one and machine some suitable elements or far less cabbage than that. I tell myself that, but I haven't done it, yet.

Probably oughta study up on it a bit more.Geez, how hard can it be?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #33
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Wish I still had the video from Source Automotive of them drag racing my old 300SD. Those neck jarring shifts from the auto were impressive. Almost as impressive as a bunch of guys pulling up on the rear bumper to get it to do a burnout.

How fast did it go? I always figured mine would be in the 17 second range
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Closed Thread